TaskphorceTaskphorce's Perfume Reviews

...
1 - 10 of 41

04/05/2019
I associate this scent with the essential oils diffused into the air during massage therapy. It has tranquil aroma-therapy-like qualities. A touch of pungent sour-like citrus freshens the scent, especially in the opening, but it is quickly dominated by cistus (incense-like, resinous), a very warm bouquet of spicy-fresh florals, all of which are anchored by Roja's signature opulent woods. The scent can be described as citrusy, resinous, warm, spicy-fresh floral, smooth, herbal, earthy, and peppery.

04/04/2019
2 Awards
Fresh, cool, rich-citrusy, very oily, musks emitting cleanly white-grey tones, long lasting, subtle and soft depth, not loud but definitely persistent, and unisex.

01/14/2019
1 Awards
Intensely warm, very rich, deep-woody, mildly-jammy, the rose has citrus like qualities, there is a touch of sweetness, with subtle spices, and it is smooth and persistent. This oil is very potent...with impressive longevity and sustainable projection. Lovely...

10/25/2018

Tenacious and composed of highly concentrated dark and damp oils and absolutes...This scent is evocative of a deep dark forest. Crisp, prickly on the senses at first, with a strong mentholated-like mossy green opening which immediately leads into an abundance of earthy-dark-rich soil tincture. As the scent calms in the dry down phase, a strange animalic accord emerges. Things begin to go downhill (fast) from here. A slightly dirty animalic accord (reminiscent of a freshly manicured animal straight from the groomers) takes over meeting a smokey base accompanied by intense lavender oil. I cannot help but to think of the wafting scent of a flock of farm animals that were just shampooed in the barn. Aranyaka has good longevity and above-average projection. Personally, I was unable to ignore or overcome the “goat hair tincture” and found this accord ruined the scent for me. I also found a significant difference between testing this fragrance on paper and on the skin. Overall rating.....opens promising with a solid 9 and rapidly declines to a 6/10 as it begins to dry.

10/23/2018
2 Awards
I was already aware that this wouldn’t be a typical gourmand style Tonka and I am here to confirm that this is rue. When I first learned that Le Labo created a fragrance named Tonka 25, some fragrances immediately came to mind: Tonka Imperiale by Guerlain, Mugler Pure Tonka, Hermes Vetiver Tonka to name a few. This is nothing alike the aforementioned fragrances. I bought this fragrance blindly based on my obsession for this house (bottle #18) along with several reviews and opinions provided by some of the most trusted noses in the community. I've worn this 4x in the last week and wanted some real insight before posting a review. On initial spray, I’m detecting a clean-crispy white floral (orange blossom) with a mild citrusy hue and I am immediately reminded of the orange blossom in Neroli 36 and Fleur d' Oranger 25. This is fascinating to me for two reasons. One being that I have rarely found orange blossom to be an attractive floral when it is a prominent/dominant note in a fragrance and secondly, I have never liked Neroli 36 or Fleur d' Oranger 25. Within two to three minutes, the scent develops from a citrusy floral to a powdery, soft, smooth, clean musk and the transformation is impressive. As the scent continues to evolve, the vanilla +cedarwood+musk+tonka juxtaposition emerge creating an irresistible and subtle, dusty, nutty-like, quality. I cannot keep my nose off of my wrists at this point. Full disclosure: I have caught myself moving around to catch wafts of the fragrance throughout the day.... : ) ...... The fragrance is soft but tenacious and very comfortable to wear. The scent is long lasting. It is incredibly appealing in my opinion and I have received an unusual amount of compliments from family, friends, coworkers, and one stranger (today.) I've read some make a correlation between Tonka 25 and other scents in the Le Labo library and I can sort of relate: Vanilla 44 (dusty, musky, woody, dry), Another 13 (clean, crisp, musk), Neroli 36 (clean, bright, citrusy-florals.) All in all, Tonka 25 is a real pleasure to wear and I consider it to be a versatile scent that I can see myself wearing on a regular basis throughout the year.

10/16/2018
1 Awards
Incredibly strong & a perfect 10/10 rating across the boards. This doesn’t happen often. I really try not to toss around 10’s unless I am absolutely certain.
Warm, unisex, very alluring, with exotic woods and spices melded in such a velvety smooth and soft yet massive scent cloud. There is an underlying sweetness which isn’t cloying, coming from a very dry accord of vanilla. Fans of the original Oud Eau de Parfum will find this to be an even more addictive scent. Longevity.....?.....until you shower!

10/10/2018
Manos Gerakinis Silver Oud has been long discontinued and Quintessence is the sequel to Silver Oud. Both are part of the Haute Parfums Collection (Along with the discontinued Gold Rose) and contain 100% pure silver flakes which, when atomized, spray a fine mist of silver. If you asked me to pick between the two, Quintessence would be my selection. It’s a superior scent overall. Mr. Gerakinis pays close attention to every little detail and if you get to know him, you’ll learn that he has a serious passion for perfection in all of his endeavors. Silver Oud & Quintessence are two totally different scents yet share some similarities in that both are fresh-spicy with a smooth-leathery (Saffron), luxurious feel, and both are accentuated by vanilla. Silver Oud has a more pronounced vanilla accord and it is much more peppery, thick, soft, sweet, and dry whereas with Quintessence, I find that it is a more cohesive blend, and neither note stands out over the other. Silver Oud retains that peppery vanilla infused rose throughout the entire dry down. In that regard, it leans on the linear side. I also find with Silver Oud, it I s more masculine. Personally, I think both are full bottle worthy fragrances with outstanding performance.

10/06/2018
2 Awards
Please, Please, Please do not make the mistake of blind buying this fragrance. It is extremely earthy as if you've just stuck your nose into a cave littered with bat droppings. What actually came to mind when I smelled this was......Weed and Feed chemicals and the scent of a dirty Fish Tank. It is that realistic. Have you ever been to the zoo and ventured in their "rainforest" wet tropical area where it's hot as hell, moist with water droplets everywhere and that feral scent of animals (and their feces) mending with the soil? Yep, that is how I would describe this scent. After about 20-30 minutes, the scent begins to soften and you are left with real moist (strong) soil. The soil becomes somewhat palatable in the dry down by the incorporation of faint notes of florals and fruit. I can tolerate challenging scents (many comme des garcons and strong barnyard ouds) but this right here was immediately headache inducing. I do not get any tropical accord. If you don't mind smelling like you just rubbed yourself with the damp soil from inside of a wet cave, this scent is for you. My wife cringed and begged me to wash it off. You might be one of the few who really enjoy this fragrance so if you are of the really daring type, go against my recommendation and take the plunge blindly for the full bottle....just don't say I didn't warn you! :)

10/06/2018
I have never and I repeat never smelled such a terrible fragrance. (Wait a second, I recall another strong negative reaction to Zoologist Bat, read my review on that one but this ranks up there.) This gets a 1/10 only because I’m sure there are worse fragrances on the market. After sampling this, the first thing that came to mind was: WTF is this? Someone urinating on a fruit scented urinal puck OR a dirty wet urine soaked diaper with the scent of a fruit cup lingering in the back ground. These were my first thoughts. At first, I thought I had mixed scents on my skin with another fragrance, surely this cannot smell this bad....but when I sampled the next day, the same thing urine + fruit. Terrible. Where’s the wood??? Zero wood. There isn’t anything else here: “fruity and pungent/freshly peed on urinal puck. I’m wondering if the perfumer was suffering from a sinus infection while making this scent?

08/28/2018
1 Awards
What does it smell like? Yes, the resemblance is there...of a brand new magazine taken out of the plastic and opened for the first time ... But, it is so much more than that. I use this fragrance so much....primarily in the warm weather because I never get bored with it and it is by far one of the most complimented scents that I currently own. If you are a fan of Molecule 01, Molecule 02, Not a Perfume, Eau Mage, and some noteworthy scents from the avante garde house of Comme des Garcons like Synthetic Series 6: Dry Clean, Odeur 53 and Odeur 71. The Iso E Super/Ambroxan combination is really pushed to the max. The cleanliness can be described as such: "sterile", "clean pool water", metallic, salty-sweet, velvety, and incredibly smooth ....NOT clean like laundry....or fresh cotton. I've never encountered any complaints. It projects and lasts all day long...It is not weak by any means nor is it as simple as the aforementioned Molecule 01 or Molecule 02. I’ve been told by coworkers that the scent trails down the hallway from my office (and that isn't with an over application.) AnOther 13 is one of my favorite “cleanly” offerings from this house aside from Gaiac 10. Stunning, Beautiful, Unconventional, Obsessed.

10/10 easily.