VmasterVmaster's Perfume Reviews

11 - 15 by 29

Dunhill Icon Absolute
Pros:
A really nice looking metallic faux gold-plated bottle.
Can be purchased for under $50 USD.

Cons:
Oud is synthetic and not the greatest by a long shot.
Longevity is between 3 and 4 hours sprayed on my skin.
It immediately turns into a skin scent.

I feel that Dunhill could have done a LOT better with Icon Absolute, considering that both Icon and Icon Racing have a lot better longevity and sillage. I won't mention Icon Elite.

Instead of naming this fragrance Icon Absolute, they should have named it Icon Sport, because most fragrances with the word "Sport" in their name have horrible longevity as well. It would have fit right in.

On the bright side, Icon Absolute can be worn anywhere without a problem because you will be the only one who will be able to smell it.

Scent: 5/10
Longevity: 2/10
Sillage: 1/10

Final score: 2.7/10

Vmaster 4 years ago 2

Gucci Guilty Absolute pour Homme
A niche-like fragrance from a designer house? I am loving this!

For the longest time I have been tired of designer perfume houses playing it safe with the same old fresh and bland crap fragrances that they have been inundating consumers with. Gucci's new director is like a breath of fresh air for the designer fragrance industry.

Guilty Absolute is a wonderful and satisfying linear masculine leather fragrance that will last all day on your skin and at least a week on your clothes!

If you like fresh and safe fragrances, go elsewhere. If you like a different or avant garde leather fragrance, this is for you.

A solid 10/10

Sycomore Eau de Parfum
Having not tried Sycomore EDT previously, I had no preconceived thoughts about this fragrance, other than having read that the EDT is more smoky and the EDP is more woody.

The Eau de Parfum is a dark woody fragrance, with fresh green and a warm medium smoky scent. The notes seem to switch back and forth between the vetiver and cypress, with a slightly spiced tobacco and juniper poking out here and there.

Though it is listed as unisex, this is seems to be more of a masculine scent. Due to its refined scent, I would gauge this best for age 25+.

With two sprays, the sillage was about 6 feet (2 meters).
If you feel like wearing this to the office, I would suggest limiting yourself to only one spray, as it is nicely potent.

The scent had a really strong sillage for about four hours, and then mellowed out a bit but is is still detectable from about 3 feet (1 meter) away.

Really well made!
9/10

Musk Rose
After swiping, here is how it played out on my skin:

It started off with with something that smelled like Shamamah (maybe henna?), warm musk and incense that turned into a tart & creamy floral, then boozy, then a sweet rose note, more creamy notes, then rose and boozy notes. This was only in the first hour. It was constantly changing on my skin. Loved it!

Musk Rose attar is Unisex, great for work or play and can be worn year-round.

Recommened
10/10

Phoenix Fougere
Though I have used a few fougeres over the years, I am not normally a fougere kind of guy - I prefer the darker scents. That being said, I am enjoying Phoenix Fougere. It was the really nice jasmine note that did it for me. Fougere fragrances, like Dior Eau Sauvage, have jasmine but it is usually lost behind the stronger, what I call, "barber shop" notes. Eau Sauvage smells more like an older gentleman's fougere. Phoenix Fougere does not give you that "Old School" feel. I would say that it is more of a "New School" kind of fougere, that any age group would enjoy.

After swiping, I got a herbaceous tart orange citrus accord. After a short time the slightly bitter floral notes came out to play. The jasmine was the most pronounced, but I did pick up some ylang-ylang and lavender in the mix. The jasmine is not the normal jasmine most people are used to. It is Jasmine Sambac. I know the smell of this one from some of Sultan Pasha's attars. Really nice, almost animalic (for lack of a better term). After a time, light bittersweet and dry earth notes take center stage. The wood notes present themselves shortly afterward. By this time, the citrus has receded into the background.

Phoenix Fougere can be worn for work or play, and would wear best during the cooler seasons of Autumn and Winter.

If you are a fan of fougeres, try this. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Recommended.