ZoraZora's Perfume Reviews

1 - 5 of 13
Zora 8 years ago 4

Cinnamon Stars Over Paris
While I was visiting Grasse, I was fortunate to step into the past and admire the beautiful vintage perfumes inside a museum. With many of these treasures I have asked myself what these scents actually would smell like or what stories they could tell me. Unfortunately, as you know, that is not possible in a museum.

Now I am holding a real museum's piece in my happy hands and am thrilled to have the opportunity to smell it. With a sense of awe and respect, I am carefully holding the bottle ... with the awareness that there are maybe only three left in the world and that I acquired the Christmas Edition of the signature perfume of the house Brisson. Is it possible that the scent is still preserved? Yes, apparently this is possible because whoever had this scent before me, took good care of this treasure.

Alas, I was not able to learn much about this fragrance. From 1945 to 1950, the house Brisson was located at 65-67 Champs-Elysees in Paris. During that time only four perfumes were created. "Toboggan" was the first and was the signature perfume of the house Brisson.

Why the scent was named "Toboggan" I cannot say with any kind of certainty. That there was one of the first toboggans in Paris, or maybe was it the first toboggan ... could possibly be a reason. A toboggan was a large slide construction, built like a wooden tower. Even today there are these slides in Vienna or in Munich during the "Oktoberfest" - now, of course, in their modern versions. A conveyor belt transports you up and after a few steps, down you slide, all around the tower. Another meaning of toboggan is simply a sled, and those are depicted on the perfume's original packaging which was also amazingly well preserved.

Paris 1945. The first Christmas after the war in the liberated city of Paris. Most is still in ruins, rubble and ashes. The survivors are gathering new hope. The joy to have come through it all and to look forward into a new future. There was not any luxury, nor could it be expected. But the need for it was tremendous. This longing revived the fashion industry and the perfumery world. Creative noses returned to Paris, as did Elsa Schiaparelli and many others. Pierre Balmain opened his first atelier.

But now to the fragrance itself. Whether the Christmas Edition is exactly the same as the signature perfume, I am unable to say. In my opinion this particular scent matches the feeling of Christmas very well.

As a nonprofessional, I can only try to describe the scent in broad terms:

There are most likely aldehydes in the top notes. After a few minutes, while sniffing at my arm, I am perceiving mainly carnations and cinnamon. Perhaps a little rose is hidden somewhere. Oriental, warm and spicy this scent comes through. No sweet notes, only dark magnificent flowers sprinkled with cinnamon ... as if a thousand little cinnamon stars were spraying upon a flower garden. The base notes remain warm without animalic tendencies. I suspect patchouli and sandalwood.

Except for the top notes, this perfume reminds me very much of "Cinnabar", however considerably more delicate and finer.

On me, the sillage was only average as was the longevity, but on my mom those lasted a lot longer. Must have to do with my scent-devouring skin.

Now I have become even more eager to seek out further vintage scents ... except those from my immediate past, I mean the ones that I knew in my youth. This particular scent here brings to me happy fragrance moments from a time where my existence was not even planned yet. It gives me profound emotional impressions of a time and a place long ago.

(I have submitted a photo which is not yet in the System. Who wants to see it, must wait a bit.)

Zora 8 years ago 5

Like a Ruby from Burma ... precious and rare
What my nose smells here resembles what my eyes see when they look at a precious Burma Ruby. The eyes begin to shine and a longing is stirring, "I must have you, no matter what!" All those good intentions not to buy any more perfumes are melting away along with the will to even try to resist. Reason is now placed on the back burner.

If I associate this scent with a gem, it would be a Burma Ruby. Velvety, pidgeon blood red color, precious and noble.

This is a very complex, well-balanced fragrance which I cannot easily classify. A floriental, a gourmand, where fruits artfully mingle with flowers, where vanilla mixes with woods ... gently this scent transports me into a dream state.

Not too weak and not too strong. Sweet, but not too sweet.

Most women covet diamonds and only very few know that a pidgeon blood red ruby from Burma is far more valuable. So it is sometimes with fragrances. Many have been underestimated and still are.

Admittedly, this perfume has escaped me until today. Was it the marketing? Was it the choice of name?

I don't know. I will never own a ruby from Burma, I just cannot afford it. But I will trace and find, and own, this rare jewel among fragrances ... at no matter what the cost.

Zora 8 years ago 7

A fresh bouquet of flowers
It was about 2 weeks ago and I had the urge to visit the big city and of course seek out the largest perfumery in Zuerich.

Now it was time to examine Creed.

I was advised and assisted and, at the end, found myself with 4 different Creeds on my arm, "Fleurissimo", "Love in White", "Fleurs de Bulgarie" and "Spring Flower".

All were good scents in their own way. Above all, the compositions were pure and clear. No synthetic disturbances. That really convinced me.

Which one to choose? Let's wait and take a walk, maybe the decision will be easier in a half hour ... Far from it! I was still undecided and if I, of those 4, acquired all 3 that I liked, my wallet would have a screaming fit, and probably my husband, too.

Thus, I erred about and suddenly had the solution.

Not far from me was a young man with a briefcase. He looked good and nicely groomed. Okay, to the task! "Hello, excuse me, please, I am kind of forward and am asking for your help." He gave me an astonished look. So I continued, "I have here on my arm 4 scents, all beautiful, and just cannot make up my mind. Would you mind sniffing at my arm and tell me which one you like best on me?"

He smiled with amusement and said, "Why not? This is the first time anyone has asked me this, but I feel honored and I don't mind." So we stood there, in the middle of the street, and he sniffed at my arm. It was a rather comical situation.

He chose "Spring Flower" to which I had been inclined myself.

I thought, twice is best, and then did the whole game once more.

Interestingly, the second man loved the same perfume and even wanted to know the name. This would make a wonderful gift for his girlfriend.

Sometimes, boldness has its rewards.

With an easy step I went back to the perfumery and bought myself the expensive "bouquet".

When the weather is warm as it is today, I love the scent of fresh flowers. This perfume lasts for hours. It softens somewhat on my skin and will get creamier, but the lovely aroma of fresh flowers is lasting to the end.

My ideal companion in the hot days of Summer.

Zora 8 years ago 5

A soft "Hello" ...
Hello ... does no one smell me, does nobody notice me? "screams" a little Violet at the side of the road. Obviously, nobody is interested. People rush by and pay no attention. Cars and bicycles narrowly pass by and disrespectfully spread their dust. Violet's fresh and beautiful aroma now turns powdery and soft.

Sadly the little flower lowers her head and reminisces as so many times. Earlier, yes earlier, a great forest stood here and generously provided its fresh shade. Little violets gathered in a family together with many friends. And people were enchanted and appreciated their delicate beauty. Then, one day, loud and menacing machines appeared. All the little flowers were simply sacrificed. The whole big forest with its large trees had to give way. Humans much preferred a new road and a shopping center to indulge in their endless shopping mania. Now, only little Violet is left standing. Next to her is her friend, Mr. Shrub. He is the only one who still offers the shade needed and he enjoys her company. Ah, the good old times ... when people loved her delicate aroma, her lovely purple appearance, and never could have enough. Little girls collected clusters, little bouquets were offered in baskets at the town square market and ladies pinned a corsage to enjoy that lovely scent.

Today. Now she must tremble, afraid that nobody steps on her, that no strange dogs pee on her, or that some rubbish is disposed on her. But a small consolation remains. There are still people who know about her delicate beauty and find joy in it. And as long as this continues, she will remain inside the battle, along with the big scents.

And while she ponders, she hears the deep friendly voice of her neighbor, Mr. Shrub. Don't be sad, little Violet, you will see, one day when the humans have finished covering almost everything with concrete, they will again seek out your beauty and give you the spot you deserve.

As a beautiful small flower with a soft, fresh and timeless scent. Be patient, little Violet, be patient.

Zora 8 years ago 2

Style and Elegance
This fragrance is a real challenge. First, thank you, dear member Medusa, for the sample. I shall try to convey my impressions, albeit from an inexperienced nose.

For me, this scent clearly embodies the spirit of the Fifties. I am thinking of Tippi Hedren in Hitchcock's "The Birds", perfectly groomed, a lady in any situation, stylish and elegant, somewhat inaccessible, yet with an aura of warmth. I am thinking of a time when men accompanied their date home and the good-night kiss at the door was a kiss on the cheek. When men treated women with respect and did not grope all over her body at the first evening. When ladies would have strongly objected. When everything still had style.

This was the time when poor women at least afforded themselves a fragrant soap and their richer "sisters" would wear this luxurious perfume.

It is without question a beautiful feminine scent, opening elegantly with full flowers and then gliding into rich, creamy, consummate elegance. No tacky sweetness, no masculine tartness, no oriental heaviness, nor any sensual or erotic calling. A notch above it all.

Who can wear a scent like this today?

For me, this is clearly an ideal companion for a business lunch where you want to be feminine but ensure the necessary distance in an elegant way.

This perfume pleases me very much; however, I don't know on what occasion I could wear it. I would want to be in harmony with it and fully give it justice ...

1 - 5 of 13