Search Forum

Worst mismatch between fragrance name and scent?

Worst mismatch between fragrance name and scent? 11 years ago
This past winter I wrote a negative review about Chopard's Noble Cedar. I always feel a pang of guilt when writing a negative review (it's a "Minnesota nice" thing) so this morning I decided to give it another try.

Noble Cedar has been, in my experience, one of the worst matches between the name of a fragrance and its actual scent. There is very little in the way of a detectable cedar or conifer accord and when you combine that with its middling character and lack of projection it is anything but "noble".

In your experience which fragrance has been a complete mismatch between its name and scent?
11 years ago
The demonic Angel, which is desperately in need of an exorcism. Twisted Evil
11 years ago
Hugo Boss Just Different: they should have called it Just The Same Very Happy
11 years ago
Smellitivity:
Hugo Boss Just Different: they should have called it Just The Same Very Happy

+1 Smellitivity! I'm not a Huge-o Boss fan, either so Just The Same here!
11 years ago
Ahaha Cryptic ... Angel ... Nice one Wink
My nomination goes to
Iceberg The Fragrance ... It's warm, gourmand, and spicy.
Nothing chilly and icy about it.
11 years ago
Miracle by Lancôme.

Sorry, for me the only thing miraculous about this pleasant but essentially boring pink perfume with its non-descript bottle is its popularity. But hey what do I know!?
Last edited by Seatonica on 20.04.2013, 21:48; edited 1 time in total
11 years ago
Lancome Tresor Midnight Rose....Nothing Rose, or for that matter midnight about this one! It should be called Very Berry Boring.. Laughing
11 years ago
Loving this thread .. thanks Greysolon.
11 years ago
Putain des Palaces.
Made me expect something really raunchy but it ain't. To me it's a lovely and classy fragrance. But maybe the concept was some high-end call girl or maîtresse hanging out at a hotel and I'm just not getting it.
11 years ago
Please keep this thread going....I have a few, but haven't time at the moment.will check in, to see further posts!! Cool
11 years ago
MiaVonTrost:
Putain des Palaces.
Made me expect something really raunchy but it ain't. To me it's a lovely and classy fragrance. But maybe the concept was some high-end call girl or maîtresse hanging out at a hotel and I'm just not getting it.

+1. I don't get the naughty aspect at all. It's really quite wearable.
11 years ago
"Marquis de Sade" by HdP.
I love this fragrance... and it's a very straightforward, spicy-leathery kind of tobacco-scent, not in the least what you'd expect given the name which is a symbol of debauchery.

"Vitriol d'Oillet" by Serge Lutens... -
why "vitriol", it's not that biting
11 years ago
Dalmajen:
Lancome Tresor Midnight Rose....Nothing Rose, or for that matter midnight about this one! It should be called Very Berry Boring.. Laughing

Same goes to Wild Rose and Forbidden Rose by Avril Lavigne. Not a lick of rose in either flanker.
11 years ago
MiaVonTrost:
Putain des Palaces.

Gold:
"Marquis de Sade" by HdP.
I love this fragrance... and it's a very straightforward, spicy-leathery kind of tobacco-scent, not in the least what you'd expect given the name which is a symbol of debauchery.

Hmm, there seems to be a theme starting up with fragrances based on name appeal implying skeez but turning out to be rather tame. I like "Marquis de Sade" by HdP, too. It's a very nice leather scent. Nice. But something like Bandit is nastier...
11 years ago
Greysolon:
[I like "Marquis de Sade" by HdP, too. It's a very nice leather scent. Nice. But something like Bandit is nastier...

Yes, absolutely...Bandit is "nastier", I agree!

How about "Odalisque?" I don't like the name, it doesn't suit the scent which is a well-behaved, elegant chypre.
11 years ago
Jovan Black Musk...nothing black about this stuff. Clean laundry musk and soda pop style scent.
11 years ago
Nez à Nez "Ambre à Sade"

If it were named so as accurately to reflect its composition, it would have to called

MARSHMALLOW PEEPS!
Twisted Evil

On second thought, perhaps Sade could use this to torture diabetics?
11 years ago
I don't know about it being "worst" but New York by Parfums de Nicolai always puzzled me. The fragrance is great, but it really has no connection at all to New York, in my mind at least.
11 years ago
Drseid:
I don't know about it being "worst" but New York by Parfums de Nicolai always puzzled me. The fragrance is great, but it really has no connection at all to New York, in my mind at least.

Dr, I often wonder about place name fragrances that don't have an obvious note or accord that links the scent to the place. I suppose there could be a personal experiential connection for the nose or it's simply the use of a recognizable place name for marketing purposes. Nonetheless, when a fragrance carries the name of a place it certainly sets up the expectation that it's somehow representational.
11 years ago
Sherapop:
Nez à Nez "Ambre à Sade"

If it were named so as accurately to reflect its composition, it would have to called

MARSHMALLOW PEEPS!
Twisted Evil

Just the thought of marshmallow peeps makes me grind my teeth together like fingernails on a chalkboard. Thanks Sherapop, that sensation is going to be with me all day! Evil or Very MadWink
11 years ago
Any number of frags with "Noir" in the name (Angelique Noire, Coco Noir, to name just a couple). Nothing noir about 'em.
11 years ago
Sherapop:
Nez à Nez "Ambre à Sade"

MARSHMALLOW PEEPS!
Twisted Evil

LaughingLaughingLaughing
11 years ago
Musc Maori (?#!*?). Should be called "Hot Chocolate"
11 years ago
Dulcemio:
Any number of frags with "Noir" in the name (Angelique Noire, Coco Noir, to name just a couple). Nothing noir about 'em.

+1 Agreed. Add Tom Ford Not Noir to the list.

Musc Maori (?#!*?). Should be called "Hot Chocolate:66ff5d8867]

Flavorite, there is something about musc and hot chocolate being used in this context that make me slightly queazy SurprisedMad I've always wondered what those emoticons were meant to express. Combined they now represent my "retch-i-con."

Hot chocolate and musc... shivers...
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands Worst mismatch between fragrance name and scent?
Jump to