Search Forum

Frags so good you can't find an occasion to wear them?

1 - 25 by 33
Frags so good you can't find an occasion to wear them? 11 years ago
I have been fortunate enough ( or unfortunate enough......depending upon how you look at it ) to having owned a handful of masculines so freakin good that I cannot find a setting or occasion worthy enough to don these scents.

I suppose once a year or maybe twice is good enough for some folks to warrant owning a stupendous fragrance, but with me, it bothers me to the point of selling them off. I don't like enshrining an inanimate object like scent and never being able to decide if I should use it because it's so difficult and expensive to replace.

Patou pour Homme is one of these and I eventually sold off all my bottles simply to rid myself of this worship I had for it.

I still own Aigner Super Fragrance for Men and I feel the same way about it that I did about Patou. Is anyone else here as crazy and unbalanced as this ???? It truly annoys me........
Oh silly!! you sold it off? 11 years ago
Can I give some unsolicited advice? or rather I'll give you some unsolicited advice: develop some joie de vivre, become a bon vivant. Some things in life are precious because they are ephemeral.

There is no such thing as a perfume too special or precious to use.
So use it any time and use it up. Put it on before bed, put it on after an intense workout and clean up!

It almost makes me think that you have some desire for immortality to be part of the "perfect" experience. Instead, treasure the ephemera for the unique and precious experience that it is.

Cheers,
N
11 years ago
I too find the concept of "too good to wear" completely foreign to my way of operating, and reading that you sold your bottles to rid yourself of the dilemma saddens me a little.

Why deprive yourself of pleasures in such a way?

I don't have "occasion perfumes" either, as I'd be as happy wearing a rare vintage pure perfume to go down the shops or stay at home, as I would be donning a run of the mill frag to go to the opera.

What suits my mood is what goes, regardless. Very Happy
11 years ago
Dolby:
I too find the concept of "too good to wear" completely foreign to my way of operating... What suits my mood is what goes, regardless.

Oh yes! I've worn my Clive Christian #1 to the dogpark.
11 years ago
If I were in AromiErotici's shoes I may feel the same. He is around food a lot, the baseball thing wouldn't bother me as much. I would probably would wear all my good stuff, I do when I walk the trails where I live.

Speaking of trails, am I on the right track AromiErotici Confused:
11 years ago
Cincy:
If I were in AromiErotici's shoes I may feel the same. He is around food a lot, the baseball thing wouldn't bother me as much. I would probably would wear all my good stuff, I do when I walk the trails where I live.

Speaking of trails, am I on the right track AromiErotici Confused:

Yea Cincy. I live in Billings, Montana but I'm originally from Philly.

I can only surmise that I'm in the minority feeling like I do, but that's okay. Certain frags smell so good to me that I can't wear them casually. It's just a personal quirk I suppose.
11 years ago
I am the opposite! I love wearing all my special ones, and never worry if it's day or evening, or what clothes I am wearing. I just wear whichever perfume takes my fancy that day! I wear to enjoy! Smile
11 years ago
AromiErotici:
Certain frags smell so good to me that I can't wear them casually. It's just a personal quirk I suppose.

then don't wear them casually, wear them with great deliberation! Smile I take it you can't be convinced to think differently.

But it would be interesting if you could analyze your personal quirk. I'd like to understand it better. One thing that comes to mind for me: if a perfume is never let out of the bottle, is it still a perfume? (if a tree falls in the forest and...)
11 years ago
I could see the comparison to "a wine too good to drink it" ... but perfume ? On special occasions - a special perfume - to make the moment even better.
11 years ago
My opinion on perfume..don't worry about the type of fragrance that is supposed to be for night, or day..or special occasions...I have tested this time frame thing..it doesn't apply. If you have a collection of perfumes..wear them, and enjoy them. Don't get sucked in by the limits..day , night, spring, summer , winter, etc. etc. We choose our perfumes because we love them. We have tested them, and know they suit us. Sometimes we buy blindly...but most of us test first. Our skin types tell us what suits us. I personally don't give a damn, if Alien or etc...is for winter. I wear what I know will suit me that day..and what I love. I have spent a lot of money on perfumes. What is my personal favorite, I will wear it when I want to. If you love perfume.you know how much to apply..at the right time. Cool
Re: Frags so good you can't find an occasion to wear them? 11 years ago
AromiErotici:
I have been fortunate enough ( or unfortunate enough......depending upon how you look at it ) to having owned a handful of masculines so freakin good that I cannot find a setting or occasion worthy enough to don these scents.

I suppose once a year or maybe twice is good enough for some folks to warrant owning a stupendous fragrance, but with me, it bothers me to the point of selling them off. I don't like enshrining an inanimate object like scent and never being able to decide if I should use it because it's so difficult and expensive to replace.

Patou pour Homme is one of these and I eventually sold off all my bottles simply to rid myself of this worship I had for it.

I still own Aigner Super Fragrance for Men and I feel the same way about it that I did about Patou. Is anyone else here as crazy and unbalanced as this ???? It truly annoys me........

No, I understand where you're coming from. The fragrance must fit, however you want to define fit, and some fragrances fit only very rarely. I try to nip these things in the sample stage and quarantine them there. Smile That's why although I love "Sienne L'Hiver", I still only have a sample. It fits only a few weeks out of the year, being a rustic Christmas scent.

It's really no different than clothing; some outfits are rarely worn if bought, or never bought because while they make you look fantastic, you're just not sure when you'd ever wear them. Formal dresses and tuxes come to mind.
Re: Frags so good you can't find an occasion to wear them? 11 years ago
Silverfire:
AromiErotici:

No, I understand where you're coming from. The fragrance must fit, however you want to define fit, and some fragrances fit only very rarely. I try to nip these things in the sample stage and quarantine them there. Smile That's why although I love "Sienne L'Hiver", I still only have a sample. It fits only a few weeks out of the year, being a rustic Christmas scent.

Silverfire, maybe we're coming at it from a slightly different viewpoint than Aromi, but I certainly understand what you're saying. I covet a full bottle of Serge Lutens CHENE. Instead, I own a large decant because I can only wear it a couple of times a year when the weather and the season are perfectly aligned. I can't see owning an entire bottle of something even though it's so beautiful.

This may not be the greatest analogy because it's not apples to apples, but I know of musicians who own rare, old Italian violins and cellos and they have copies made of the instruments. That way, when they retire, they can sell the original so it can continue to be played in public yet have a copy that is familiar to their hands even though the sound may not be the same. On one hand you think, "Wow, I'd just want to be enwrapped in that glorious sound and live with that historic piece of art until I die." But at some point it's too wonderful a thing to possess just for one's self.
11 years ago
Now I am beginning to feel guilty! My beloved Chanel Coromandel..if I don't use it up...I have told my DIL she has to treasure it, and store it properly. I hope I can use it up..before....you know..that I fade out) That is why I use my perfumes!! I want to enjoy them, and talk about them! That is the reason I don't have too many..I love each and every one of them!
11 years ago
Dalmajen:
Now I am beginning to feel guilty! My beloved Chanel Coromandel..if I don't use it up...I have told my DIL she has to treasure it, and store it properly. I hope I can use it up..before....you know..that I fade out) That is why I use my perfumes!! I want to enjoy them, and talk about them! That is the reason I don't have too many..I love each and every one of them!

I hope I didn't make you feel guilty, Dalmajen! Embarassed I'm just trying to see this from Aromi's point of view. If, for whatever reason, he feels he can't wear a particular fragrance -especially one that he holds as exceptionally beautiful- then by all means give it or sell it to someone who wants to perform that fragrance. We might not understand his motivation but at least it's not sitting on a shelf like an unread book.
So please, Dalmajen, sing your Coromandel song and let everyone around you enjoy the melody!
But, but, but 11 years ago
AromiErotici didn't say he didn't like wearing the perfume, or it didn't fit him even though he loved it. He didn't say he didn't like the way it worked with his body chemistry. He didn't say it wasn't his style, though spectacular.

He said he loved it so much, that it was so spectacular, he couldn't choose a setting or occasion to experience and let others experience the fragrance, and because he worshiped the perfume in the bottle he made himself sell it because he didn't like worshiping inanimate objects.

So I can understand the second half of this, but I cannot understand how you could love a perfume but never want to smell it or express it.
11 years ago
Liking something so much you can't bear to own it?

That is an interesting albeit completely foreign concept to me. I'm too hedonistic. The more I like something, the more I wear it.

When I first discovered Chanel 19 in the mid 80's it was a religious experience, I felt overwhelmed by its beauty. And yes, it's fancy (while I am decidedly NOT fancy) but that didn't stop me from wearing it nearly 24/7 for the next 25 years!

So, no, sorry, Aromi, I can't relate.

And I would like to see you break free of these self-applied chains. I suggest you just force yourself to wear one of these sacred scents of yours, occasion be damned. Then do it again, and again and again. I bet you'll cure this neurosis in no time. Smile
11 years ago
Dulcemio:
Liking something so much you can't bear to own it?

That is an interesting albeit completely foreign concept to me. I'm too hedonistic. The more I like something, the more I wear it.

When I first discovered Chanel 19 in the mid 80's it was a religious experience, I felt overwhelmed by its beauty. And yes, it's fancy (while I am decidedly NOT fancy) but that didn't stop me from wearing it nearly 24/7 for the next 25 years!

So, no, sorry, Aromi, I can't relate.

And I would like to see you break free of these self-applied chains. I suggest you just force yourself to wear one of these sacred scents of yours, occasion be damned. Then do it again, and again and again. I bet you'll cure this neurosis in no time. Smile
Yes....this is what I wanted to say. I was such a lover of Opium in the heyday...I wore it day and night! I loved my KL...didn't care if it was strong, I loved it, and wore it...I just wish I had known they wouldn't be available now...maybe I would of stored some bottles..but who knows? Maybe they were meant to worn then...and they were Loud and Proud..it was their time. I love all my fragrances, and want to wear them...and enjoy the moment! Wink
Re: But, but, but 11 years ago
NSku:
AromiErotici didn't say he didn't like wearing the perfume, or it didn't fit him even though he loved it. He didn't say he didn't like the way it worked with his body chemistry. He didn't say it wasn't his style, though spectacular.

He said he loved it so much, that it was so spectacular, he couldn't choose a setting or occasion to experience and let others experience the fragrance, and because he worshiped the perfume in the bottle he made himself sell it because he didn't like worshiping inanimate objects.

So I can understand the second half of this, but I cannot understand how you could love a perfume but never want to smell it or express it.

Actually, I'd still consider this as "fit" -- it just never seems to be the right time to wear it, for the reasons he specified. If you feel that something is too good for you, you are overawed by it, and so you shy away from it. You feel yourself unworthy of it. Maybe only some people perceive beauty that intensely that they feel themselves humbled by it? That would be sad if true.
11 years ago
I seem to having this problem with "Inedite by Lubin". I stalked it for a year before getting it, Love the bottle so much and now I find it is so strong and rich (One single spray on a cotton paper has audibly fragranced my whole clothes closet for 3 weeks!) that I don't feel in the mood to project this level of elegance for the dogs, the bank-teller or the grocery cashier. Maybe I just realized...I need a more exciting social calendar and it's not Lubin's fault at all!
1 - 25 by 33
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands Frags so good you can't find an occasion to wear them?
Jump to