Search Forum

Decanting techniques

Decanting techniques 11 years ago
Ever wondered how to decant without spilling gallons?

My one-off attempt to decant by spritzing directly into the tube naturally turned out to be outrageously messy - albeit fingers and room smelled terrific, having spilled vast quantities. The lesson was clear: I was in dire need for a more sophisticated approach. So off I went to fetch myself a decent funnel.
Using a funnel works quite well but I still scent my room and fingers, even though in moderation, which vexes me particularly when it comes to those fumes near and dear to me. Moreover, the remains in the funnel are a loss I would like to minimise further. And so I kept wondering. Rolling Eyes

Googling high and low I believe to have finally found my holy grail, the neatest method I can think of: How to decant using a syringe.

What are your tricks? Any experiences using a syringe?

Last edited by MiaTrost on 15.03.2018, 12:07; edited 3 times in total
11 years ago
I use the plastic gizmos that are a cross between a syringe and a pipette. After I'm finished, I put the pipette in a Ziploc bag and label it so that I can reuse it for the same fragrance.

Of course, when you can't remove the sprayer you have no choice but to use the godawful spray method. I won't even decant from that type of bottle in the winter because I can't open the windows. The good news is that the more you do it, the better you get at it. I used to waste a ton of perfume but after a few years of decanting I'm much more efficient.
11 years ago
Cryptic:
I use the plastic gizmos that are a cross between a syringe and a pipette.

What are these Cryptic?
Can you post a piccie please? Wink

Mia, my chemist may think I have developed a sudden habit of sorts if I turn up buying syringes by the truckload, but hey oh Very Happy

So far, I spray directly into the vial/bottle.
It's way more hit than miss, but not all sprayers are alike, and a few are real buggers.

This is a fab video, thank you so much for posting.
11 years ago
11 years ago
I find the ones Cryptic posted at hobby shops.

I mostly spray but for splash bottles, a syringe works well. Sometimes I use the ones they make to administer medicine to children, they have measurements on them.
11 years ago
Cryptic:
Sure thing. One link is for a UK seller and the other is US. Smile

Oh, ok, I have these. Great for bottles you can unscrew but these are few and far between.
Cheers C! x
11 years ago
Just one more reason that I love Uncle Serge, D. Smile
11 years ago
zip
Last edited by Wichapi on 17.05.2013, 06:46; edited 1 time in total
11 years ago
That very same video made me excited enough to buy syringues a few months ago. Alas, that was a big fat fail for the bottles I tried.
Not only do some bottles not allow cap removal, like Mauboussin for instance but the syringue needles (even the thinnest diabetic needles!) were too thick for the very thin tube in the bottle.

OK, so I didn't try each and every bottle I own, but the ones I tried were a failure.. so it is back to spritzing.
Last time I was in a hurry and did it in the bedroom.. it still smells of tht fragrance 2-3 weeks later! Rolling Eyes
11 years ago
Wichapi:
I also use small glass & metal spray bottles that invert-to-load over large spray bottles of the feature perfume, which cleanly and quickly load.
What are these, Wichapi? Can you post a pic or a link please?

The problem withe the needle size is disappointing news, DutchSniffer. Sad Anyway, thanks for sharing this information. I wonder how I am going to fare ..
11 years ago
Ok so today I bought up some decanting supplies locally. I need you guys to tell me if this is a bargain or are they less online.
I got 100 1 ml glass vials $6
200 1.5 ml glass vials $12
24 1 oz glass bottles with spray $12
100 small baggies (some people have seen these in my giveaways) $3
200 medium baggies $6
Now I need to order some atomizers but locally I spent a total of $46.

These are glass vials with stoppers, only the 1 oz bottles have atomizers.
Can anyone comment on better or best prices found elsewhere?
11 years ago
I think I can offer adequate alternative method that may be in handy for someone. Many aerosol sprays are available with the so-called directional tube (usually technical sprays - contact cleaners, fine lubricants, etc.) Something like this:

Can be found in any hardware store, or car care, auto parts store etc...
Easy to use, simply replace with a new sprayer. Now, there's a catch - size of the output tubes are not standardized and may vary among manufacturers - 3 or 4 may be (I tried what fits in my bottles, of course, before offering it as a working, and this which I have - fits perfectly on around the 1/3 of my miserable collection). The good news is that aerosols also have different sizes and can be found thay you need.
I hope for someone, it is useful. Smile Have aromatic day!
11 years ago
That is genius, WolfM. I don't decant very often, but the next time I do, I am definitely going to try that!
11 years ago
Silverfire:
That is genius, WolfM. I don't decant very often, but the next time I do, I am definitely going to try that!

Thanks for sharing, WolfM.
Last edited by MiaTrost on 21.11.2017, 09:39; edited 1 time in total
11 years ago
On decanting by Victoria Frolova, who also praises the blessing of Parafilm for storage and transportation. Wink
11 years ago
WolfM:
I think I can offer adequate alternative method that may be in handy for someone. Many aerosol sprays are available with the so-called directional tube (usually technical sprays - contact cleaners, fine lubricants, etc.) Something like this:

Easy to use, simply replace with a new sprayer. Now, there's a catch - size of the output tubes are not standardized and may vary among manufacturers - 3 or 4 may be (I tried what fits in my bottles, of course, before offering it as a working, and this which I have - fits perfectly on around the 1/3 of my miserable collection). The good news is that aerosols also have different sizes and can be found thay you need.
I hope for someone, it is useful. Smile Have aromatic day!

Awesome! As I wrote earlier, the syringue method would not work, not even the narrowest diabetic needles!
My husband buys tons of these airdusters and I'll ask him to conserve the cans so it can be used for decanting!
6 years ago
WolfM:

Can you believe it took me until now to grasp the genius of your method, Wolf?! This may actually be THE holy grail of decanting techniques - shall definitely try this! Thanks for sharing!!
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfume Discussions Decanting techniques
Jump to