Search Forum

The end of a love affair-Scents that have lost their magic ?

1 - 25 by 147
The end of a love affair-Scents that have lost their magic ? 11 years ago
Hi everyone

I noticed that now with the beginning of the new year I am starting to dislike a number of scents which I liked so far.

Paloma Picasso develops strange on me, it smells rancid and weird, similar to a glue product Sad

Hypnose by Lancome once bewitched me with that almondy marcipane aura, now I am just bored and cannot even shrug over this perfume.

Jasmin Noir l´Essence is way too similar to the regular Jasmin Noir so I very much regret having bought it.

...to be continued...

Which scents have you fallen out of love with and why ? Has your preference/taste changed or is it a reformulation that does not quite meet up with your previous experiences with that particular scent ?
I am curious and am looking forward to reading your posts.

Before I forget : Happy New Year to you all !
11 years ago
Change of diet, medication and hormonal fluctuations all can have an impact on skin chemistry. Hope the issue resolves itself soon so you can go back to enjoying your favorites.
11 years ago
Once upon a time, I loved "Oscar" de la Renta but I cannot imagine wearing it now. I also liked (not loved...) Calvin Klein "Eternity" and "Escape", but there is no way that I could wear them now.

I truly loved Borghese "Il Bacio" for a couple of years. I probably wore a gallon of the stuff. Now, I'm not sure whether the bottle which I still have has turned, or I have!

After all of the reformulation disasters, I have changed my attitude toward perfume and only think of a bottle as a friend for now--not 'til death do we part! It's simply too demoralizing to get my hopes up, so I'm not buying reformulated perfumes any more. What I have, I'll use, once it's gone, it's gone: time to move on...
Cool
11 years ago
This topic is apropos to some of my recent perfume experiences. I don't dislike, but do recently feel bored by:

Dior Hypnotic Poison (Good thing I got that backup bottle, ay?)
Givenchy Amarige Mariage (Finished a small bottle, then sprung for the big one. Again, yay for me.)
Organza Indecence both original and new, no longer interested in either.

Heavy sigh
11 years ago
I used to love Just Cavalli Her; it worked so well in many situations. The other day, I put it on and I was disgusted to the point I threw it in the trash. The bottle had not turned, I just suddenly didn't like it anymore.

Hilary Duff With Love used to be my night out fragrance...now it smells sour, tart, and a little like cat pee. Maybe the bottle went bad.

I have saved Miss Dior Cherie for special occasions only; but when I wore it on New Year's eve, I just felt "meh".
11 years ago
I believe my problem is seasonal, some perfumes don't smell good on me in the winter but I like them in the summer. Crazy. I never toss them, just change with the seasons.
11 years ago
I've fallen out of love, but still respect,numerous masculines over the years.

Capucci Punjab is just an example of Classic fragrances that I still hold in high regard, but don't wish to wear anymore since my palette continues to evolve.

I can't imagine standing still in this hobby; especially with the flood of new releases every year.
11 years ago
I got the big 200ml bottle of "Beige" and now I'm so bored with it. I wish they would sell smaller bottles of the Les Exclusifs line.

I have to say also that one day a perfume may smell really nice on me, and the next day it may smell completely off. Does anyone know when is the best timing to try out a new perfume (talking about hormonal fluctuations here, sorry guys).
11 years ago
Yes, this is an interesting question, as lately, I don't want to wear my cashmere mist, or Boucheron as much as before. The notes just don't seem to appeal like they used to. They have not turned, as they are not old, and always are stored properly. It just seems to me, as the magic is not there anymore. Rolling Eyes
11 years ago
Calvin Klein Escacpe - I was madly in love with this for years but now the thrill is gone.

Deisel Plus Plus Woman - great little cheapy that in wearing to death one year I rendered unwearable.
11 years ago
Seatonica:
Calvin Klein Escape - I was madly in love with this for years but now the thrill is gone.

Something makes me suspect that "Escape" and "Eternity" contain fat-soluble ingredients, and my body cannot take either one of them anymore...

Mad
11 years ago
Eurochic:
I got the big 200ml bottle of "Beige" and now I'm so bored with it. I wish they would sell smaller bottles of the Les Exclusifs line.

I have to say also that one day a perfume may smell really nice on me, and the next day it may smell completely off. Does anyone know when is the best timing to try out a new perfume (talking about hormonal fluctuations here, sorry guys).
I got the 75ml. Coromandel, mainly because I couldn't afford the bigger one! Just store your Beige away, and you will go back to it, it's too damn beautiful to ignore for long! It's normal to have off days, for fragrances etc. (especially for the ladies) . I think being bored with a fragrance is O.K, as you will come back to it. But when you start to really dislike it, that's when the love affair with the scent is over!
11 years ago
Dalmajen:
Eurochic:

I got the 75ml. Coromandel, mainly because I couldn't afford the bigger one! Just store your Beige away, and you will go back to it, it's too damn beautiful to ignore for long! It's normal to have off days, for fragrances etc. (especially for the ladies) . I think being bored with a fragrance is O.K, as you will come back to it. But when you start to really dislike it, that's when the love affair with the scent is over!

Well, here in Japan they only sell the 200ml ones. It's ridiculous.
I have put it back in the box and in a dark and cool drawer, maybe I'll go back to it. It's a pity it doesn't last though. I'm halfway through Coromandel, also 200ml. No regrets there Wink
Indeed, it happens to the best of them... 11 years ago
For me "Bvlgari pour Femme", "Gucci II", "Miss Marissa", "Gendarme", and "Carriere" are all past favorites that I could live without right now.
11 years ago
Muscs Koublaï Khän. Why did I ever buy this? It smells like a barnyard animal.
11 years ago
I think I'd quite like to smell like a barnyard animal, but I generally like skanky things. I 'had' a bottle of Womanity, loved it from the sample, from the bottle it was utterly vile.

Another odd thing, I revisit fragrances, I'm going greener and more floral for Spring. My heavy hitting orientals have (gasp), temporarily lost some of their appeal.
11 years ago
Mill4r4, we're talking pig sty here. I enjoy skanky things but this isn't filthy sexy, it's just filthy dirty. Even my dogs dislike it and they roll in poo.
11 years ago
Ah, that would be a bit too skanky. Have I ever mentioned my Serge aversion?
11 years ago
The love of my life in the 80s and the 90s, Ralph Lauren's Polo, just doesn't speak to me anymore. It just comes across as too brash for me nowadays.

Calvin Klein's fragrances are also ones I tend to have a brief fling with and just move on. Obsession for Men, CK One, CK Be, Eternity For Men. I loved all of these when I sampled them, and ended up giving nearly full bottles away to (very happy) friends and family.
11 years ago
Gmmcnair:
The love of my life in the 80s and the 90s, Ralph Lauren's Polo, just doesn't speak to me anymore. It just comes across as too brash for me nowadays

I would love to get my hands on a vintage bottle of that juice.
10 years ago
First one I can remember is Clinique Aromatics Elixer, loved, then I stopped loving it and wondered how my sister could still wear it, didn't it smell bad to her too?
Giorgio Red loved and went through many bottles, but it changed for the worst also.

This becomes a problem for me when I rate a perfume. I had it, loved it so want to rate it higher than what I would give it today. Doesn't seem fair to rate it low now because I used to LOVE it.
10 years ago
Cruella:
Cryptic:
Change of diet, medication and hormonal fluctuations all can have an impact on skin chemistry. Hope the issue resolves itself soon so you can go back to enjoying your favorites.

Skin chemistry is an urban myth.

How so? I am asking in earnest since I can only assume it is the unique chemistry of one's skin that can turn silver black on some people while it stays bright on others. As an example.
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands The end of a love affair-Scents that have lost their magic ?
1 - 25 by 147
Jump to