Search Forum

perfume terminology

perfume terminology 12 years ago
Hi there, as we grow, people from all over the world will join us. We all know English but not all of uas are native speakers. Sometimes we have words in our mind and are not sure weather they would be right in the context of describing a perfume. So, I kindly ask our native speakers to help us out and post the right translation when an international user posts a question.
I start first:

What is the right word for the development of perfume, the course of time beginning with the top note etc. until the drydown?
12 years ago
I think "development" is exactly the right word. You needed no help at all, Eternity! Good work!
12 years ago
Yep!

And then you also have words like: trail, projection, silage, longevity and so on Smile

It took me a long time to figure them out, but my dear friends were very helpful, just like SystemeD is to you Smile

Just ask if you ever feel you are wondering again about something Very Happy
12 years ago
I'd like to know what a 'go-to fragrance' is.
12 years ago
Fab - i've always wondered what the difference between longevity and sillage are? Can anyone help?

Also what are the parfumo points about?
12 years ago
what do you call the person that is wearing a perfume. Is it the "bearer"?..
12 years ago
@Shushigirl
the parfumo points tell you how active an user is in writing reviews (40 points each), handing in new perfumes (50 p), handing in a picture from a perfume bottle (10 p), rating a perfume or its longevity (5 p) and so on. Every activity on parfumo is being awarded with parfumo points and by these means you see how active any user is Smile
12 years ago
Asphaltblume:
I'd like to know what a 'go-to fragrance' is.

a fragrance you like to take up and use often Smile

most of the time it is with a certain mood: so when you want something to cheer you up: your go-to scent might be...*add you favorite happy scent*
12 years ago
Shushigirl:
Fab - i've always wondered what the difference between longevity and sillage are? Can anyone help?

Also what are the parfumo points about?

longevity: how long your nose can pick up on the scent

sillage: how wide from your body your perfume can be detected. the bubble it creates around you...

there is also projection, that is kind of the same in my eyes... but I see projection mostly used in perfumes that are really strong and sillage seems to be a more subtle word to use...
Last edited by Guusje on 09.01.2012, 18:12; edited 1 time in total
12 years ago
A "go-to" fragrance is sort of like your first choice or the perfume you are most likely to reach for. This can be in general or in whatever context the person is talking about. Example, "Euphoria is my go-to perfume for a night out." This would mean that Euphoria is this person's most likely or first choice for a night out.

Longevity refers to how long the scent of a perfume lasts and sillage refers to the projection of a perfumes scent, in other words, the strength of a perfumes scent trail.

The person that is wearing a perfume would be called the "wearer."

Hope this helps!
Last edited by Njdeb on 09.01.2012, 18:25; edited 1 time in total
12 years ago
Haha Guusje, we posted at the same time Smile
12 years ago
hahah yes I saw it Very Happy funny!! xxx
trail:

to me that is what people sniff of you when you walk by, or when you were standing still and leave the room: what you leave behind...
12 years ago
Yes, sillage is a french word with nautical origins. It is the wake of a boat or ship as it moves through water. Similarly, when used to describe in perfume, in means the scent-trail a perfume leaves as a person moves by.

Sometimes people use sillage to simply refer to the strength of a perfumes scent.
Last edited by Njdeb on 09.01.2012, 18:22; edited 1 time in total
12 years ago
nice! I did not know that Very Happy
12 years ago
Smile
12 years ago
Great answers- so helpful and well explained! Thank you girls Smile
12 years ago
Thank you both for the explanation!
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands perfume terminology
Jump to