Search Forum

The Tragedy of Discontinued Fragrances

The Tragedy of Discontinued Fragrances 11 years ago
Please excuse me if this topic is already in existence. But One thing that really vexes me about the beautiful fantasy world of fragrance we live in is those really outstanding discontinue fragrances. I am sure we all have one or two that haunt our dreams. I personally live in a state of near-constant high anxiety that the top five coveted fragrances on my wish list are about to be discontinued at any moment. Yes, I do have non-trivial real life problems, too, but somehow... discontinued fragrances is what keeps me up at night. I have a local old-fashioned perfume shop and they seem to have a number of NIB discontinued gems that- they don't realize are so valuable, because they are the same price they've been for 10 years. I read people pining over on here such as Emporio Armani White, Christian Dior Eau Svelte, Fidji, etc. I bet other people have access to discontinued favorites of other members and I wish there was a system in place to alert us on discontinued fragrances or about to be discontinued and when they are spotted out in the shops/ airports/etc. Anyone have any thoughts on this issue?
11 years ago
It's a tricky thing, finding discontinued scents, especially with the members scattered in different parts of the world. However, it's not impossible. Perhaps this topic can be used to alert people of such prized findings.

I'm not one to pine for discontinued scents; sometimes I do want to try one, but I see the prices on eBay and Amazon and say to myself, "Aww, well...onto the next one". However if the timing is right and I find what I consider a good deal ($60USD and under for me), I will go for it.

You're very lucky to have such a shop! Where I live, I have access to mostly mainstream fragrances and very little niche or vintages. Am I little obsessed that I already found a niche/vintage shop in an area I want to move to?
11 years ago
I've found a shop with tons of discontinued fragrances. Unlucky for me, now that they are on to what is valuable, they have tripled the prices.

The owner told me that I tipped them off based on the things I was interested in. When I came back to purchase more of what I wanted, the prices had skyrocketed!

They have also started an Amazon shop where, to my surprise, they are selling things at astronomical prices!
11 years ago
Yes, sometimes the prices are extraordinary.

One of the highest prices I have seen is for a 30 ml decant of "Djedi":

theperfumedcourt.com/Products/Guerlain-Djedi-V intage-Parfum__GRDJEDI.aspx

BTW, a friend of mine still has a bottle of Djedi in his wardobe. Should he lock it into a safe?
11 years ago
Apicius:

BTW, a friend of mine still has a bottle of Djedi in his wardobe. Should he lock it into a safe?

OMG!! Confused
11 years ago
Apicius:

$80 for 1ml??????

and no discount for the ounce?

Okay, I'll take it: $2,379

Rolling Eyes

Oh, I see that there a $20.01 discount Laughing
11 years ago
Sherapop:
Apicius:

$80 for 1ml??????

and no discount for the ounce?

Okay, I'll take it: $2,379

Rolling Eyes

Oh, I see that there a $20.01 discount Laughing

At least I had a good sniff of it - I'll translate my review so you will all know what you are missing! Laughing
11 years ago
Digindirt:
I've found a shop with tons of discontinued fragrances. Unlucky for me, now that they are on to what is valuable, they have tripled the prices.

The owner told me that I tipped them off based on the things I was interested in. When I came back to purchase more of what I wanted, the prices had skyrocketed!

They have also started an Amazon shop where, to my surprise, they are selling things at astronomical prices!

Boo! I knew that couldn't last, Dig. They had to get wise sooner or later.
11 years ago
Cryptic:
Digindirt:

Boo! I knew that couldn't last, Dig. They had to get wise sooner or later.

Yes but I still refuse to pay full price. I get them down to at least half of what the fragrances are selling for online.
11 years ago
Digindirt:

Ohhh! I better be less enthusiastic the next time I visit the shop. I'm doing to much winking, smiling and saying "Ahhhh! So Wonderful!" all the time. I won't be able to get them without him raising the prices soon!
11 years ago
Flavorite:
Digindirt:

Ohhh! I better be less enthusiastic the next time I visit the shop. I'm doing to much winking, smiling and saying "Ahhhh! So Wonderful!" all the time. I won't be able to get them without him raising the prices soon!

That's right. Wear your poker face when fragrance shopping.
11 years ago
Lisky:
You guys are so lucky to live near places with shops, let alone perfume shops!

You know what, this is an excellent point.You're absolutely correct. I am always pining away, wishing I lived some where with a modern niche fragrance shop filled with fancy brands like Diptyque, Jo Malone, Le Labo and Serge Lutens...but I should really appreciate what I have...without that little shop, there wouldn't be a bottle of Vol de Nuit, Mitsouko or L'heure Blue within 50 miles! I would be stuck at the Chemist/Pharmacy deciding which Paris Hilton fragrance was the best. I shiver to think of it...
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands The Tragedy of Discontinued Fragrances
Jump to