Search Forum

What new perfumes have that 'classic' potential?

1 - 25 by 35
What new perfumes have that 'classic' potential? 11 years ago
What non vintage perfume have you tried recently that has had that 'wow' factor for you? One that you could almost certainly see becoming a 'classic' perfume of the future. One whose passing will be mourned in the same way as the Coty Chypres and Joys of the older perfume era.

Some suggestions might be Dzing by L'artisan, or maybe Barry Lyndon By Maria Candida Gentile, Une Rose Chypree by Tauer, Ormande Woman by Ormande Jayne or perhaps even the sweet Arabie by Serge Lutens just for thoughts.
11 years ago
"Miriam" by Tauer Perfumes
11 years ago
Chanel's Les Exclusives are all instant classics, imho.
11 years ago
Quite a few IMO. The ones with the most "wow" factor (meaning they are both unique and are excellent compositions) to me are:

Chanel - Coromandel
Maria Candida Gentile - Exultat
Mona di Orio - Oud
Ormonde Jayne - Ormonde Woman
Puredistance I

It's quite interesting to realise that while there are tons of really good, even excellent fragrances, there are only a few I would consider timeless classics, worth a page in a perfume history book.
11 years ago
It is very hard to get a good and well composed fragrance without any drawbacks but that final hurdle into undisputed greatness is the hardest one. Perfumes can be good and well structured, but it is rare to be truly excellent. When I smell some of the older 'great classics' i can still see why they are on their well deserved pedestal. Time has not affected them in any way and they still pull rank alongside their contemporaries.

It will be very interesting to see what people suggest.
11 years ago
Ann Gerard "Perle de Mousse", Lubin's "L'eau Neuve- Inedite", Lubin's "Gin Fizz", Keiko Mecheri's "Loukhoum" and Tauer's "L'air du desert Marocain"
11 years ago
I'm going to barge in with a designer and say Chanel Coco Mademoiselle.
Future Classics 11 years ago
Well I could make a huge list, but I will only post what works well on my skin of those I have tested.

I think these are definitely worthy to be classics:

Neela Vermeire - TRAYEE
Neela Vermeire - MOHUR
Serge Lutens - LA FILLE DE BERLIN
Amouage - HONOUR WOMAN
Chanel - GARDENIA
James Heeley - IRIS DE NUIT
Montale - HIGHNESS ROSE (THE benchmark rose soliflore in my humble opinion)
Keiko Mecheri - UME
Menard - KASANEKA
Hiroko Koshino - HIROKO KOSHINO
Isabey - ROUTE D'EMERAUDE

Last edited by FloraMilena on 04.08.2013, 22:47; edited 1 time in total
11 years ago
Hayven:

Hahaha! Yeah, we gotta keep it real surrounded by all these hoity-toities, don't we Hayven? Laughing

I was thinking "Coromandel" but thought maybe it's too sweet and delicious to be a classic, since most of those tend to be more on the serious, intellectual end of the spectrum, such as Chanel No. 5. But then I see someone else already mentioned it.
11 years ago
I will add the new Diorling. Probably doesn't count in this thread as it is already a proper classic, but the new one, although not a patch on the vintage, is still a dry and useful chypre to wear daily or for formal wear.

I'm finding I repeatedly wear it as a trusty workhorse when I need to grab something out of the cupboard in a hurry without any decision making. Also have been asked what was the lovely perfume I was wearing. A sure sign of a real classic.
11 years ago
"Un Jardin sur le Nil"
11 years ago
A lot of perfumes, as scents, have the potential to become classics, but the prices are prohibitive to most people.

Especially conssidering that most people are not willing to spend that much on a bottle even if they have the financial means to do so.

Most niches, some Guerlains, and the exclusive lines on big houses.
11 years ago
A lot of perfumes are launched, make their way, they could become classics -
if they were not changed, watered down, depleted of important ingredients in the process of reformulation and re-reformulation, you get the picture.

So if they HAD the potential to become classics, they cannot, because the content is changed and deteriorated.
11 years ago
Pipette:
A lot of perfumes are launched, make their way, they could become classics -
if they were not changed, watered down, depleted of important ingredients in the process of reformulation and re-reformulation, you get the picture.

So if they HAD the potential to become classics, they cannot, because the content is changed and deteriorated.

You're right.

Where is perfumery going anyway, with so many regulations? It's becoming ridiculous.

I just got a sample of Juliette has a Gun- "NOT A PERFUME". It says on the paper in the envelope "NO KNOWN ALLERGENS". I was curious... WHAT can it contain to have no allergens at all? Well, just one- CETALOX (this info is given on the back of the paper card). I'm wondering... in the future will all perfumes be reduced to this? A hypoallergenic ingredient in a bottle?,...
11 years ago
I truly enjoy Dior Addict. There is something about it that makes me come back for more and more.
11 years ago
I see big potential in several Tauers like LADDM, incense rose, rose chypree
Another one with huge potential is cuir pleine fleur.
The future 11 years ago
As discussion boards, such as Parfumo, rate perfumes, they have lists with the most popular (among that group) perfumes.

If, and only if, Parfumo had more influence among the buying customers in general, those on the list could - theoretically - be bought more frequently - and thus reinforce the status, and later on become classics.

So, there is a hidden element of "advertisement" - not openly, and not as effectively as in all out campaign advertising, but it exists.

Quality will always shine out, advertised or not.

In this topic we specifically say, "Which Perfumes?" and I just threw in a few additional thoughts, belaboring the point.

I do this purposely, to offset the regular big advertising.
10 years ago
Dulcemio:
Hayven:

Hahaha! Yeah, we gotta keep it real surrounded by all these hoity-toities, don't we Hayven? Laughing

I was thinking "Coromandel" but thought maybe it's too sweet and delicious to be a classic, since most of those tend to be more on the serious, intellectual end of the spectrum, such as Chanel No. 5. But then I see someone else already mentioned it.

You got it. ;D (Sorry, just saw this post now)

I figured a classic is something that sells well (but I guess celebrity perfumes are that way too...but that's a whole 'nother story/debate) and seems generally liked by the public. But niche and more higher-end stuff is making their way into more people's sniffers.
Re: What new perfumes have that 'classic' potential? 10 years ago
This Jo Malone "Lime Basil Mandarin" is blowing my mind! I think it could become a classic in the light fresh green citrus chypre realm.
10 years ago
I'm gonna get shot for saying this, but Coco Noir, IMHO, is "classic" material!
10 years ago
CuteChemist:

I agree with this. I think COCO NOIR will easily become a future classic.
10 years ago
FloraMilena:
CuteChemist:

I agree with this. I think COCO NOIR will easily become a future classic.

I agree with both of you. I think it's lovely.
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands What new perfumes have that 'classic' potential?
1 - 25 by 35
Jump to