Search Forum

Less likely to buy discontinued fragrances?

26 - 50 by 55
11 years ago
I find my vintages at local estate sales. Afraid of Ebay, fear of the unknown, so to speak. I guess I have been lucky with buying vintages, only the top notes of some were missing. I can layer or tell my self,....Hey self.... those top layers were going to fade anyway. Wink
11 years ago
I don't really hunt for vintages, but as it turns out, most of my favourite perfumes are already discontinued. I try new releases, hoping to find something I will love as much and will make me give up on my discontinued loves, but so far I haven't found anything that makes me feel as good as my treasured discontinued perfumes. So I try to stock up on my favourite 4 or 5.
11 years ago
Very soon it will be necessary to start hunting for most fragrances, even when they are officially still in production as the new reformulations are often a mere shadow from what they used to smell like.
Just today I've placed a bid on 2 versions (edp and edt) of Opium as a miniature (don't care for a large bottle) after falling in love with a tiny pure parfum sample, because the latest release is so different from how it once smelled like.
11 years ago
One of my favorite things about the perfume blogs and boards is that they made me aware of a whole slew of wonderful discontinued gems, mostly old designer perfumes. The quality and originality of these fragrances rivals the best that niche has to offer, so it's worth the trouble to track them down. They also offer a chance to experience the IFRA-restricted ingredients in their undiluted form. Very Happy
11 years ago
Just today I did my first panic buy when I happened to read Creed Baie de Genievre had been discontinued. I missed the boat when Aqua di Parma discontinued Cipresso di Toscana and I was determined not to let that happen again.

However, I try to keep in mind that perfumes are not permanent in any way; whether on our skin, in the bottle or how they're formulated (IFRA or not!) so we've got to enjoy our favorite fragrances while we've got them. Thanks to Parfumo member jtd for reminding me about this ethereal aspect of our passion.
11 years ago
I have been turned into a vintage hunter by my professional enabler friends. Most of the fragrances I never knew, I just enjoy being able to wear something rate whenever I want. When I read a topic about a particular vintage, it usually gets added to my want list based on notes such as real Oakmoss.
11 years ago
I don't normally wear vintage perfumes (or collect) because most have been improperly stored or are not hygienic. However, if I can find a unused splash or spray of R&G's Oeillet Bleu (Blue Carnation) that hasn't turned brown, I am all in. I also just scored a fabulous, unused vintage trio of Coty's Emeraude splash, spray cologne, and creme sachet (<-yes, still creamy!)
11 years ago
Wichapi:
I don't normally wear vintage perfumes (or collect) because most have been improperly stored or are not hygienic. However, if I can find a unused splash or spray of R&G's Oeillet Bleu (Blue Carnation) that hasn't turned brown, I am all in. I also just scored a fabulous, unused vintage trio of Coty's Emeraude splash, spray cologne, and creme sachet (<-yes, still creamy!)

You're probably right. I just keep telling myself that alcohol kills germs. Wink
11 years ago
Cryptic:
Wichapi:

You're probably right. I just keep telling myself that alcohol kills germs. Wink

I've seen debris floating in vintage bottles (splash or applicator), so a friend in the university chemistry department told me she'd run a few tests... It was mostly skin. I've even picked up cigarette odor in some vintage/used splashes, evidently from users who didn't bother cleaning their yellowed tobacco smoke fingers before applying. I suppose this could apply to roll-ons, as well.

Nope. For me, it's Sprays or Found-Vintage treasures that have never been used.
11 years ago
So far, out of many purchases, I've only had one out-of-production bottle that had turned, and it was a splash mini, which I took into account.

All others have been in good shape.

I won't buy a used splash bottle, though, simply because there has been no separation between the liquid and the previous owner's skin.
11 years ago
Best not to think about it, IMHO, kind of like the percentage of insect parts that is allowed in food per government regulations. All kidding aside, what kind of cootie can survive immersion in alcohol?
11 years ago
Alcohol kills germs, yes. However viruses evolve. I just can't bring myself to use, wear, or apply anything that looks or smells even remotely scuzzy, from perfumes to makeup to clothing. But to each her/his own.
11 years ago
Now that I've learned that not all vintages are created equal and have re-acquired my past favourites I restrict myself to certain genres when purchasing something "new" - green perfumes, orientals and chypres mostly, aldehydes on occassion. Because these are the kinds of perfumes I like you'd have to say my purchasing is guided by personal taste rather than rarity. In general terms unfashionable discontinued beauties are more affordable for me than niche and IMHO better value than the mostly synthetic, one-dimensional and boring scents foisted on the masses nowadays. On that score I'm with you, Dutchsniffer.
11 years ago
I have bought 2-3 discontinued fragrances so far and they all had gone bad and smelled accordingly so I am now reluctant to waste any more time on such old frags.

Hence I now rather pay attention to scents that might go out of production and buy a spare bottle instead.
11 years ago
I prefer just to use my memory...I couldn't take the chance to buy vintages, and have them posted here, to Croatia. The customs are so picky, and open everything. Plus, it is a risk, money wise..if the fragrance is still wearable. I just use the old excuse..move on, don't live in the past, and try new ones! I have tried the new versions of all the lovely ones I had years ago, and they are just shadows....so have decided No vintages, and no crappy re makes. I will test further, and buy what strikes my fancy! Cool
11 years ago
Let's not forget that these days a discontinued perfume doesn't have to be very old
11 years ago
Seatonica:
Let's not forget that these days a discontinued perfume doesn't have to be very old

Of course, you are right. It was just that my first notion with "discontinued" usually refers to scents gone for more than a decade or so. I was young in the 80s and 90s so my memory is sort of stuck there Smile
10 years ago
I love the vintages, I do. But after reading about skin in the old liquids....now I am totally grossed out. I do own some splashes and now I don't know if I'll ever use them again. Some were brand-new, never opened before, so they're ok, but others....oh Lordie...what this thread has done to my stomach....now OCD will kick in big-time I just know it....
10 years ago
Dlane1953:

(I think I like Cryptic's point; alcohol kills germs.)

Does not kill them, just keep them drunk Very Happy
(and young).
Only the weak and allergic dying Laughing

I'm not squeamish and not afraid of dirt... generally.
But used splash bottle, even if it is the most precious frag - I would not use on my body; (perhaps only on fingers / hands, that are already "dirty" because of the environment).
10 years ago
PBullFriend:
I tend to agree with Barolo on this one. If I don't think something is available somewhere (eBay, discounters), then I usually avoid it for fear of having my heart broken. (Yes, I know. I'm such a delicate flower! Laughing )

I also am likely not to try a scent that goes for $200 and up per bottle. At that price, I am unlikely to find even a decant I can afford, and there are relatively few parfumistas/os who might be willing to trade me one.

Even if I had more money, there's something about $200/bottle that seems like the very far end of my extravagance.

I must be a glutton for punishment...usually knowing that I can not have it makes it absolutely irresistible! Thank you "Blue Carnation" by Roger & Gallet I have spent many sleepless nights pining over a discontinued scent that I think I can't live without. Once I figure out how to acquire it and I have it my hand-usually I realize it is so-so- not the ultimate scent- now out of storage space. Or more often I fall victim to the rumors that something is just about to be discontinued...because everything I read on the internet is true, right? LOL! Then magically- 1/10 are actually discontinued...and again I've got a bunch of bottles of easily available back-ups for scents I'm just lukewarm about, I am on to my next obsession. still looking for this one particular scent that was a mystery concoction thrown in a mislabeled bottle from Keiko Mecheri- can't figure out what the notes are and haven't ever encountered anything like it. Ugh...I really just love the torture I think!
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands Less likely to buy discontinued fragrances?
26 - 50 by 55
Jump to