Search Forum

Score! Your best deals in men's cologne?

Score! Your best deals in men's cologne? 11 years ago
What are some of your best unexpected scores/deal in men's colognes? I just walked into a random little fragrance shop and picked up 3 (3.3 ox) bottles of Helmut Lang for Men cologne (I find it very unisex) at 50 usd a piece! Retailing at 299 usd a piece online...I am delirious! How about you any super deals you want to share?!
11 years ago
That's quite a bargain indeed. I just bought a 100ml bottle of Van Cleef & Arpel's "Tsar" for under forty bucks. I think my husband will like it but if not I'll wear it myself.
Not really a "score" in the sense that it's this cheap everywhere (probably even cheaper than what I paid) but I consider the price to be embarrassingly low for such a high quality men's classic.
11 years ago
Some time ago, I was working in Wolfsburg (Yes, Volkswagen!).

There was a small old fashioned perfume shop that I loved to drop by. The owner kept a small but well-selected portfolio. I loved to discuss perfume with her and I believe, so did she.

She had a few discontinued perfumes that I was lucky to find. I got the Arcus by Amouage for 50 € off. At another occasion she gave me her half-filled tester of Chanel's Pour Monsieur Concentrée along with my regular purchase.

The most precious gift I received along with my regular purchase however was a miniature of Patou pour Homme.

If I am visiting another city I always look for the small perfume shops. Our hard-to-finds are their shelf-warmers!
11 years ago
Apicius:
Some time ago, I was working in Wolfsburg (Yes, Volkswagen!).

There was a small old fashioned perfume shop that I loved to drop by. The owner kept a small but well-selected portfolio. I loved to discuss perfume with her and I believe, so did she.

She had a few discontinued perfumes that I was lucky to find. I got the Arcus by Amouage for 50 € off. At another occasion she gave me her half-filled tester of Chanel's Pour Monsieur Concentrée along with my regular purchase.

The most precious gift I received along with my regular purchase however was a miniature of Patou pour Homme.

If I am visiting another city I always look for the small perfume shops. Our hard-to-finds are their shelf-warmers!

Yes, it is so true...many hidden gems- it's like uncovering buried treasure!
11 years ago
In Chandler Burr's book, 'The Emperor of Scent' he describes Luca Turin's experience of finding a grizzled Medusa of Scent in an obscure village, where she warehoused a cornucopia of vintage perfume available to only those she considered worthy. I guess we would all like to find a treasure trove, an Aladdin's Cave of riches.
Re: Score! 11 years ago
Flavorite:
What are some of your best unexpected scores/deal in men's colognes? I just walked into a random little fragrance shop and picked up 3 (3.3 ox) bottles of Helmut Lang for Men cologne (I find it very unisex) at 50 usd a piece! Retailing at 299 usd a piece online...I am delirious! How about you any super deals you want to share?!

The punch line is...my husband doesn't like it at all! He'll stick with the fabulous Five O'clock au Gingembre by Serge Lutens, he's stolen from me. Its not for me either...I am so smitten with Le Labo Musc 25 & Bruno Acampora's Musc right now, I can't see past my own nose at this moment...Well, onto the shelf they go!
11 years ago
Flavorite, the golden rule for "bargain" buys is to comfort yourself with how much you saved compared to a full price purchase, rather than how much you actually spent!
11 years ago
Triffid:
Flavorite, the golden rule for "bargain" buys is to comfort yourself with how much you saved compared to a full price purchase, rather than how much you actually spent!

Indeed! This was still a score, IMO! I'm going to give one to my father and hopefully his bottle of totally offensive "Versace Man Eau Fraiche" (no offensive if this is your Favorite, I personally, just can't be in the same room with anyone wearing this without becoming nauseated) Helmut Lang will help to disappear it from his rotation when I visit. Wink wink.
11 years ago
Another crazy (accidental) Score... I asked for a bottle of Jo Malone's Café Vetyver for an Anniversary gift, figuring it's great on Men and women alike and it really smells better on the fellas in my book, but still I wanted it in my collection. The place I purchased from accidently sent me the tester with no box, when I called to ask them about this and said how embarrassed my husband was to present this to me (that part I embellished a bit...he couldn't care less about the box)...they said return it- no problem...then they sent me a brand new full bottle of Rosewater & Vanilla, plus another brand new full bottle of Café Vetyver plus a travel bottle of Lime, Mandarin Basil- also smells better on the fellas, IMHO... and a weird mirror covered velvet lined watch/jewelry box (?!). When I called they said, no just keep it all with our apologies. Score!!! My Fragrance Karma is improving.
10 years ago
My most recent surprise was this summer. While in a duty free shop on the Canadian border, I found many 100 ml bottles of the discontinued Gucci Pour Homme. With a 10% discount, they only cost $50 a bottle.
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands Score! Your best deals in men's cologne?
Jump to