Search Forum

Comments on perfumes: compliments and insults

51 - 75 by 79
10 years ago
Hi everybody, I just discovered this site yesterday and it has been fun reading all your replies! So far I've heard two comments regarding the perfume I was wearing that I will probably never forget.

I was having a really, really lovely evening in a fine restaurant with my boyfriend. Before leaving I sprayed some Frederic Malle's Portrait of a Lady on me in the restroom. When we left the restaurant hand in hand my boyfriend took a good sniff and said "Mm, you smell like the woman of my life."

Another time I was wearing Comme des Garcons Incense series Zagorsk. The goddaughter of my boyfriend told me I smelled "funny, like nose spray" O_o
10 years ago
I got a compliment by a female while wearing Villoresi Teint de Neige. She then asked if I was straight. I said yes and then she apologized stating that she didn't mean it that way. Her friend standing next to her said, "Yes you did!"
10 years ago
My family members are usually the only ones who compliment me. It's usually something simple like, "Oh you smell good, like usual" type of compliments.

I have had a random lady chase me down a street one afternoon to ask what I was wearing. Fendi Fan di Fendi.
10 years ago
In France one does not ask "what perfume is this?" maybe because you must be very learned in this respect. Yet, I am asking because it is not in my nature to pretend knowing everything.
A few times, only, I have been asked about the perfume I was wearing and they were all well intended questions and after my answering them there was that "wow, I have to get it!".
But listen to this! I have just purchased one of Tauer's Centennials and my husband , who loves all my perfumes said: Well, since we do not go too much to church it seems that the church came to us!
10 years ago
Lah2o:
Hi everybody, I just discovered this site yesterday and it has been fun reading all your replies! So far I've heard two comments regarding the perfume I was wearing that I will probably never forget.

I was having a really, really lovely evening in a fine restaurant with my boyfriend. Before leaving I sprayed some Frederic Malle's Portrait of a Lady on me in the restroom. When we left the restaurant hand in hand my boyfriend took a good sniff and said "Mm, you smell like the woman of my life."

Another time I was wearing Comme des Garcons Incense series Zagorsk. The goddaughter of my boyfriend told me I smelled "funny, like nose spray" O_o

Hi Lah2o, and welcome to Parfumo! I can only wish for compliments like you got from your boyfriend, seriously that is the best I've heard Smile
10 years ago
I got a compliment by a female while wearing Villoresi Teint de Neige. She then asked if I was straight. I said yes and then she apologized stating that she didn't mean it that way. Her friend standing next to her said, "Yes you did!:dff115040a]

Good one Wink
10 years ago
I get a lot of compliments when I wear Gourmand Coquin, I think people who are not into perfumes, prefer gourmand ones. A collegue at work and my father-in-law appreciate it.
By the way, the worst comment I've ever heard it was from my father-in-law. My husband was wearing Dark Oud and his father suddenly said...."You smell bad" "What do you mean with bad?" "It's better you don't know what it seems to me"
A bad comment about L'heure bleu, came from a 15 year old girl:
"Has somebody sprayed air freshener? I'm getting sick!!" NOT POLITE AT ALL! And I had just sprayed once! So, there's people who hates perfume and who doesn't complain when they are sitting next to someone smelling to tobacco smoke.
Anyway, I like perfumes for me, I don't wait people compliments, when they say something is just "Oh, you smell good" . Someone has said that to me wearing: Patchouli imperiale, Musc Ravageur ,Jubilation 25.. and I dond't remember what else. Normally, nobody says nothing.
10 years ago
After falling in love with Cuba "Jungle Tiger" I have recently starting getting a few of these cigar shaped perfumes.. I was wearing one yesterday and since the longevity on these aren't the greatest I carried the bottle in my purse.. My friend commented on how good I smelled so I pulled out the bottle.. She immediately proceeded to ask how I could wear something that came out of a bottle shaped like a turd LOL.. Embarassed With all the raised texture on the bottles, I always thought they looked more like a sex toy myself. So I got a compliment on the scent and a backslap on the bottle.
10 years ago
My husband was wearing Dior Homme Intense today. He went to a building site where the strapping young site foreman told him he had no right to be smelling that good early in the morning. I think my bottle of Dior Homme Intense has switched sides of the dresser.
10 years ago
DieNase:
What th f... my tablet just crahed after I had already written a lot. All gone...
Well, I was saying that I'm more likely to get comments by close friends that know of my hobby. I don't tell everyone because I don't think normal people would understand the kind of time and money I spend. Sometimes I don't either. So it's kind of a secret obsession.
One of them doesn't make comments because she has a poor olfaction. I mean she is the kind of person who applies four spritzes of coco edp and reapplies after 4 hours - at work (I've told her that she cannot do that).

DieNase, this happened to me recently. I had just completed a review of Fancy NIghts and I posted it to Parfumo, where it promptly disappeared into the ether. Maybe it's on the German site, but, stupidly, I hadn't made a copy. One of those crazy things. Bravo, your secret obsession and BTW it's safe with me
10 years ago
My perfume rarely draws comment (nobody's ever remarked on Alien, even...!), but a few days ago I was trying out "Moschino" and went to help a friend clean up after moving, and she said it reminded her of her grandmother and brought back some unpleasant memories Shocked Won't be wearing that one around her any more, not sure if I'm going to keep the bottle even because it's just not my style.
10 years ago
Just before I became fanatic about perfume, I was at a Saturday farmer's market wearing L"Erbolario's Patchouli and a man stared and asked, "What is that perfume?" He looked as if he were were holding himself back from instantly ravishing me, so I moved away and loudly said its name and that it was from Italy. Can't imagine how he would have reacted if I'd been wearing any of the marvels I've since discovered.
10 years ago
Yesterday when I wore "Volutes" one of my work friends said I smelled like the lobby of the nice hotel that's across the street from our office.

At first I was a little put off, but then I realized that the lobby in question smells fabulous.
10 years ago
Dulcemio:
Yesterday when I wore "Volutes" one of my work friends said I smelled like the lobby of the nice hotel that's across the street from our office.

At first I was a little put off, but then I realized that the lobby in question smells fabulous.

Yes, this is the feature of Apres L'Ondee that I am constantly amazed by. For a few years we owned an Arts and Crafts house, same vintage as the perfume and that is what it smelt like, nostalgia in a bottle, those wonderful scent memories, or are they inherited memories…
10 years ago
Omni:
Dulcemio:

Yes, this is the feature of Apres L'Ondee that I am constantly amazed by. For a few years we owned an Arts and Crafts house, same vintage as the perfume and that is what it smelt like, nostalgia in a bottle, those wonderful scent memories, or are they inherited memories…

Ahh, I love Craftsman houses, as we call them out here, and have lived in a few over the years. So charming and cozy.

The air in the fragrant hotel lobby is aromatized with some sort of creamy, floral, heavenly thing. It's really the best possible room freshener I can imagine.
10 years ago
Went to Vegas last year, my first time, walked past the Mirage and found that the spray mists that disperse water as humidifiers from the building's frontage are scented in 'Mirage' fragrance. Thought that was pretty cool
10 years ago
Sadly, my most common and least interesting scents... 1. Philosophy's "Amazing Grace", 2.Osmo Il Profumo- "Musc Bleu" and 3. Lollia- "At Last"- everyone is onto "Fresh" these days! ... My KM_- "Peau de Peche" and Bruno Acampora "Musc" are crying...
10 years ago
Omni:
Went to Vegas last year, my first time, walked past the Mirage and found that the spray mists that disperse water as humidifiers from the building's frontage are scented in 'Mirage' fragrance. Thought that was pretty cool

So, essentially you got misted with some Eau de Vegas! Very Happy
10 years ago
Flavorite:
Sadly, my most common and least interesting scents... 1. Philosophy's "Amazing Grace", 2.Osmo Il Profumo- "Musc Bleu" and 3. Lollia- "At Last"- everyone is onto "Fresh" these days! ... My KM_- "Peau de Peche" and Bruno Acampora "Musc" are crying...

We shouldn't feel sad, Flavorite, we should feel smug that our palettes are more refined than theirs. Bless their hearts. Laughing
10 years ago
Dulcemio, I was misted in Eau de Vegas, Eau de Nicotine and Eau de Bourbon. Was fun to people watch. Perfume smelt quite cloying in the June heat, testing was a challenge. I mostly wore Eau du Sud and Kelly Caleche EDT but nobody commented favourably or unfavourably because they burn off so quickly
10 years ago
Omni:
Dulcemio, I was misted in Eau de Vegas, Eau de Nicotine and Eau de Bourbon. Was fun to people watch. Perfume smelt quite cloying in the June heat, testing was a challenge. I mostly wore Eau du Sud and Kelly Caleche EDT but nobody commented favourably or unfavourably because they burn off so quickly

Oh the dessert, the lovely, oven-like dessert. You mean you don't love it, Omni, when the air you breath sucks the moisture out of every single thing it comes in contact with? Where body lotion is a joke? And where perfume is vaporized within minutes? "But it's a dry heat!" they say. Yeah? Well, it's tooooo friggin' dry! Laughing
10 years ago
I think the only perfume I've had a negative comment on was Organza. I was given it as a gift by the boss and, even though it really wasn't my type of perfume, I wore it a couple of times so that he knew that I was appreciative. Another lady in the office was quite outspoken about the perfume deciding that she was allergic to it and that I was, under no circumstances, to wear it again. Which was fine with me, I had an excuse not to wear it any more. Very Happy

Perfumes I've had compliments on are Pure Poison, A Scent, Kelly Caleche and my favourite BPAL, Tavern of Hell.
Very Happy
10 years ago
Dulcemio:
Omni:

Oh the dessert, the lovely, oven-like dessert. You mean you don't love it, Omni, when the air you breath sucks the moisture out of every single thing it comes in contact with? Where body lotion is a joke? And where perfume is vaporized within minutes? "But it's a dry heat!" they say. Yeah? Well, it's tooooo friggin' dry! Laughing

Our climate is like San Francisco, so I can't say I liked it, but I didn't dislike it as much as I thought I would and I loved just dropping into the pool. The perfumes smelt better in San Fran when we got there.
10 years ago
Today I was wearing Liz Claiborne Spark and had brought some parfum spray for a coworker. She said it smelled like Lysol spray to her. But that she didn't mind smelling like that (l did have a bit of Orange Sapphire still on from the day before the added citrus may have altered the effect somewhat) I hope she likes it. I did give her a purse size .
10 years ago
I got the first spontaneous comment on my perfume ever a few weeks ago, for "Shalimar Parfum Initial". I love it!
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands Comments on perfumes: compliments and insults
51 - 75 by 79
Jump to