Search Forum

Help! My Laundry Smells Like Oud!

What is you attidute towards scents surrounding us?

I'd rather keep my enviroment clean for my perfume.
81% 13
I want to smell as many scents as possible.
18% 3
Total Votes: 16
Help! My Laundry Smells Like Oud! 10 years ago
Are you a fragrance gourmet or a fragrance gourmand?
Some people turn on the radio in the morning and listen to music throughout the day, but without paying lots of attention to it. Others are looking forward for months to attend a symphonic concert by a famous orchestra. The choice is up to you!

With fragrance, it is a bit different. Somewhere I read that we are confronted with app. 20+ different fragrances during each day - room fragrance in shopping malls, beef smell at McDonalds, the smell of a vase of flowers, fir needles at Christmas, then perfumed fabric softener, cleaning agent, rinsing agent, and even fragrance added to the plastic of a car dashboard!

How do you cope with it? Do you try to keep your environment neutral so you can better enjoy the perfume of your choice? Or do you think the more the better? And if so, do you care about the fragrances around you? And what about the scents of nature?

Personally, I try to avoid fragrances that sombody else imposes on me as best as I can. I never use home fragrances, and I regularly tick the extra rinse cycle button at my washing machine. Laundry smelling like oud is no joke. Not only is oud conquering the perfume mass marked, it is even being used in household products by now. I have repeatedly come by a fabric softener with a rose-oud combo in it, but unlike perfume, there was no reference to it in the product's outer design.

I try to reserve my nose for the fragrances of my personal choice, and this can be my perfume of the day but also the scents of nature on a walk through beautiful countryside.

Are you aware about the fragrances surrounding us? What is your opinion?
10 years ago
My environment is mostly neutral. Once in a while I may light up a scented candle, but that's about it.

I don't like when my clothes smell like perfume either. I like to start with a "blank canvas" each time I assemble an outfit.
10 years ago
I am too aware for my liking of fragrance in my environment, I wish my nose weren't so sensitive. I'm always detecting scents in the air that other people cannot. If it's a good scent, well, that's good, but if it's not . . .

Recently I've discovered the most beautiful lavender and vanilla scent, and I would buy it and wear it. Unfortunately it comes from the can of air freshener used in the restrooms at work. Wah, wah, wah. Sad That actually kind of makes me angry! How dare they make something so wonderful for the loo? Laughing

I don't scent my house (anymore). I used to constantly burn scented oils or incense (what a hippie, right!), but I lost interest in that many years ago.

A blank canvas is good when applying a different perfume each day, but I'll tell you one thing that I really enjoy: When I wear the same bra for a few days and it accumulates a slight residual from each of the perfumes I've worn. The result is usually a sort of perfect (but unattainable) perfume. Of course, the only reason it smells so good is because the bra has captured only the fading embers of the basenotes in each perfume. If I were to spray 3 perfumes together, I'm sure it would choke me out. Laughing

I also routinely use the extra rinse setting for laundry, and I use detergent with very little scent to it. In general I use unscented products around the house as much possible, and almost no harsh cleaning agents because I've found there is very little I can't accomplish with baking soda and water and/or vinegar.
10 years ago
After a shower with say, Dove shower gel, I take a brush and clean the bath tub with that gel at the same time. This way, the bathroom smells special.

Generally, I keep the environment clean of smells. It is fun, however, to have a good piece of soap at the kitchen sink and wash the hands often. Makes housework easier.

I love to spray on perfume in the early morning, take a brisk walk and come home to my scented house (bedroom) which has still the remnants of MY perfume.

Of course, the "Scent of the Day" changes more often still, as the day goes on. In the evening, the house smells special.

I believe that everyone's house has a certain smell, recognizable by visitors. The own nose might get a little numb over time.
10 years ago
Dulcemio:
I don't scent my house (anymore). I used to constantly burn scented oils or incense (what a hippie, right!), but I lost interest in that many years ago.

When you moved to another room that didn't smell of oils or incense, did you notice that the room smelled stale, and maybe a little "plastic"? That's the scent I smell in a non-scented room when leaving a scented one. It drives me nuts.
10 years ago
Hayven:
Dulcemio:

When you moved to another room that didn't smell of oils or incense, did you notice that the room smelled stale, and maybe a little "plastic"? That's the scent I smell in a non-scented room when leaving a scented one. It drives me nuts.

Hmmm, Hayven, that is interesting. I can't say that's ever happened to me. Is anyone in your house smelling the stale plastic besides you?
10 years ago
I've been in the no-fragrance team for as long as I've had to buy my own washing and laundry products (since age 15). As far as I know I am not hypersensitive to smells but I like to keep my nose as unperturbed as possible and I think that's part of why I enjoy perfume. I am usually pretty aware of smells in my environment and the less added fragrance (that doesn't come from other people's perfume) there is, the better.

I generally like my fragrance to be personal and intimate and certainly not coming from a washing machine. I also smoke, which is somewhat at odds with the rest of my philosophy, but I really like the combo of Alien's nuclear jasmine and menthol cigarette on myself. Better than the cigarettes alone, and Alien sticks to my wool sweaters for days until I wash them.

Wrt the plastic smell, I think it depends on what kind of a house you live in and what materials have been used over time to remodel and repair it. I lived in a recently renovated flat that had that plastic smell about it and my then-boyfriend had constant respiratory problems until we moved out of there.
10 years ago
I lavish my home and loved ones with scent - I constantly have essential oils / scented candles on the go at home. I am burning a Sandalwood candle right now.

I love scented fabric softeners (I think I have found a sublime combination at the moment - Radiant Colour Care liquid + Earth Choice Pure Soft = wonderful smelling laundry).

I love smelling perfume on people.

My garden is full of scented flowering plants and herbs and as I sit here now I can smell Mint, Gardenia and Mock Orange wafting in from my garden on the evening breeze.

I think beautiful scents enhance my life and environment. By the same token, I find unpleasant smells physically distressing and kind of depressing.
Re: Help! My Laundry Smells Like Oud! 10 years ago
Nice topic Apicius,

Apicius:
Laundry smelling like oud is no joke. Not only is oud conquering the perfume mass marked...

I know the fragrances, but in my circle I rarely (if ever) smell someone wearing oud. How often do you encounter an oud wearer?

But I suppose oud and laundery makes sense for those product developers who think "this is the new kind of warm musk" lol

When I buy scented products I often pick them to try a new scent that I wouldn't try in a perfume. For fun and to expend my experience. But it's not at all the case that my whole day is perfumed. I love the scents of nature, they are the best.
Re: Help! My Laundry Smells Like Oud! 10 years ago
Sleuth:

But I suppose oud and laundery makes sense for those product developers who think "this is the new kind of warm musk" lol

Exactly!
10 years ago
No, no one else mentions it. I have smelled the same stale plastic smell going from a scented area to a nonscented one at my parents' house, my previous apartment, and my current one. I might be just mistaking the smell for stale air. Or all three places have the same materials.

<---weirdo sniffer
10 years ago
I am a bit of a fragrance glutton, and I generally want to smell as many (pleasant) scents as possible. Once caveat: they have to be EXACTLY what I want or I would prefer no scent stuff.

For example, I use scented bath and laundry soap, along with dish soap. Soap that I made myself, and scented with exactly the fragrance I wanted and picked. So I have fresh cut roses scent for my dishwashing liquid, and a Green Irish Tweed knockoff in my laundry....LOL.
10 years ago
Gmmcnair:
I have .. a Green Irish Tweed knockoff in my laundry

Lol! Did you stumble upon that 'GIT clone'? Or actually spend time and money to find it? Very Happy
10 years ago
The more fine turned my nose becomes (and every perfumes seems to expand my internal scent catalogue more) the less I appreciate other daily scents. Natural everyday scents like grass, broken leaves underfoot, roses leaning over the footpath, they're all still wonderful. But the overly scented products of every day bother me more and more. First I cut out deodorant sprays and replaced them with unscented mineral roll-ons. Then I cut out the fragranced laundry detergent. Now even soap bothers me because it interferes with my perfume and my scent sensitivity.
Shampoo and conditioner I'm fine with for now, I have a good thing going with Schwartzkopf's "Marrakesh oil and coconut milk" that is both great with my hair and has a nutty, sweet gourmand smell that meshes well with most of my daily perfumes.
I also notice I'm becoming much more sensitive to disagreeable smells. For example I used to clean up my cats hairballs just fine but now just the smell makes me retch and gag.

Edit: I don't know how it flew under my radar until now but I'm after new hair products as Schwartzkopf tests on animals. Arg! As far as perfumes go, I wish I could get a simple "yes/no" with some of these small, barely detailed perfume companies. I have to admit I have a measure of "ignorance is bliss" when it comes to animal testing with a lot of my favourite perfumes. Sad
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands Help! My Laundry Smells Like Oud!
Jump to