Search Forum

Best/worst/weirdest new perfumes of 2013?

Best/worst/weirdest new perfumes of 2013? 10 years ago
I didn't see a thread on this yet so I thought I'd make one! I am still very new to perfume and always love reading about other people's favourites.

So please share, what have been your favourite new perfume releases of 2013? What have been the worst, most underwhelming, weirdest, most interesting etc? (And why, if you can be bothered to analyze Smile)
Re: Best/worst/weirdest new perfumes of 2013? 10 years ago
Sweetgrass:
I didn't see a thread on this yet so I thought I'd make one! I am still very new to perfume and always love reading about other people's favourites.

So please share, what have been your favourite new perfume releases of 2013? What have been the worst, most underwhelming, weirdest, most interesting etc? (And why, if you can be bothered to analyze Smile)

"Ashoka" by Neela Vermeire Creations was probably my favorite release of 2013. Everything that has come out of this house thus far as been spectacular and this one was no exception. It's a gorgeous, complex fig perfume. "Cape Heartache" by Imaginary Authors was love at first sniff, also. Pine scents are hard to get right, IMHO, and this one succeeds because all the greenery is tempered with strawberry, of all things. Sounds a little implausible but it smells just grand.

The weirdest thing I tried was the Loant line as part of a sample pass. Those of us who participated wrote reviews, if you're interested in detailed analysis but suffice it to say that it was a novel concept but the scents didn't meet expectations. :/
10 years ago
Best: Tonka by Réminiscence. Perfect match for me.

Worst: Explosions d'Émotions by L'Artisan. Experimental, headache inducing, yuck - especially "Skin On Skin".

Weirdest: in a good way: "Eau de Toast". love the humor in this one.
in a bad way: "Helvetica". although clearly a joke I'll wonder how many people really will buy 2 oz. distilled water for $62????
10 years ago
Best: Prada Candy L' Eau (I didn't expect to like this one at all, but it is light, fresh, and sweet)

Worst: Jo Malone London's Sugar and Spice collection (all the scents were pretty boring for me after testing multiple times; I expected better given how much I like necatarine blossom and honey)

Weirdest: Lôjazz and Lôant (one smelled like moth balls, the other like crushed ants--however I really enjoyed Lôvann)
10 years ago
Best: Bottega Veneta pour Homme.

Discreet but decent. A typical mass market musk but done the best way possible. If only more new releases ouside the niche sector would show so much certitude about what is good taste.

Worse: Too many to mention only one.
10 years ago
haven't tried many new ones, but...

Best: "Bottega Veneta Eau Légère", I enjoyed it more than the original

Worst: James Bond 007 "Ocean Royale", these worthless products damage the nice movie franchise
10 years ago
What about you, Sweetgrass?
10 years ago
Sleuth:
What about you, Sweetgrass?

Lol, I don't think I've even tried many of this year's lot except for "La Fin du Monde", which was kind of underwhelming considering it was essentially a spicy oriental (an absolutely delicious one, but nevertheless) rather than the perfume to end them all.

And I'm loving "Alien Aqua Chic (2013)", which departed from the heavy jasmine theme of the Alien fleet. This sparkly bright orange blossom water is exactly what I need in this polar night, too bad it was a limited edition. Stock up maybe? Because nobody's going to miss it except for me, I suppose.
10 years ago
Best - this is hard... I just tried "Nero Assoluto" and it's *very* good but I have a tendency to develop crushes on the last perfume I tested.
Worst - "Rogue". Not horrid - just disappointing. It wasn't a "Bottega Veneta" ring-in for me.
Weirdest - "Peety"? Weirdest concept in any case.
10 years ago
Weirdest - "Peety:af30c84ff3]
+1 Shocked
10 years ago
Perfumecrazy:
Best - this is hard... I just tried "Nero Assoluto" and it's *very* good but I have a tendency to develop crushes on the last perfume I tested.
Worst - "Rogue". Not horrid - just disappointing. It wasn't a "Bottega Veneta" ring-in for me.
Weirdest - "Peety"? Weirdest concept in any case.

Omg I read about "Peety". Certainly a weird concept -- I can see the logic behind it but would never actually try it.

I am actually looking forward to smelling "Rogue", altho I may not buy it. Sounds like a generally pleasant perfume. Is there anything that sets it apart from the rest of the mould-made celebrity scents at least? I need to justify seeking it out somehow Wink
10 years ago
I don't mind being your enabler Sweetgrass - what is special about Rogue and makes it worth trying is the lemon blossom overlaying the suede. It's a very good scent. I get glimpses of BV but my expectations were probably too high so I didn't give it a fair chance. Do try it yourself Smile You know you want to...
PS The best description of my experience of Rogue is a review on Fragrantica by En Fragrance Delicto - 'Gucci Rush meets sugared lemon'. But with suede. Or 'a bite of leather' as the reviewer put it.
Last edited by Perfumecrazy on 19.12.2013, 21:18; edited 1 time in total
10 years ago
Perfumecrazy:
I don't mind being your enabler Sweetgrass - what is special about Rogue and makes it worth trying is the lemon blossom overlaying the suede. It's a very good scent. I get glimpses of BV but my expectations were probably too high so I didn't give it a fair chance. Do try it yourself Smile You know you want to...
PS The best description of my experience of Rogue is a review on Fragrantica by En Fragrance Delicto - Gucci Rush meets sugared lemon. But with suede.

Aaahhh, you sold it to me with lemon blossom atop suede alone. I'll be on the lookout for this! Damn Very Happy
10 years ago
Best: Classical by Anat Fritz (though this is only an amazing re-work of Anat's original 2006 creation)

Honorable Mention to the following as a four way tie for second:

Bentley for Men Intense by Bentley (best value of the year)
Ylang 49 by Le Labo
Ashoka by Neela Vermiere
Peety by O'driu (I don't consider the fragrance weird at all, though I can understand the concept weirding folks out)

Worst: Polo Red by Ralph Lauren (just a terrible release that fails on every level)

Dishonorable Mentions to Millesime 1849 by Creed and Noontide Petals by Tauer

Weird: Montecristo by Masque (though weird in a good way)
Last edited by Drseid on 22.12.2013, 17:30; edited 1 time in total
10 years ago
Sleuth:
haven't tried many new ones, but...

Best: "Bottega Veneta Eau Légère", I enjoyed it more than the original

Worst: James Bond 007 "Ocean Royale", these worthless products damage the nice movie franchise

Oh dear, I marked Bottega Veneta eau Legere down for poor staying power and lack of discernable oakmoss. It's also really pricey in my country esp. for an EDT. I found it less impressive than the original but I think I'm in the minority, it seems to be popular. Works better in really hot weather I've found. I sort of regret writing a review that seems to go against the grain....
10 years ago
Hi Triffid. The only reason why I prefer the Eau Légère is because of personal taste. You're right that the original has more bang for your buck. What are your best/worst/weirdest scents of 2013?
10 years ago
Most of the things I sampled this year were not actually 2013 releases. I have so much catching up to do, perfume education-wise, that keeping up with current releases barely registers.
Of the few 2013 releases I tried, I can only say 'like, dislike or meh' as I have so few points of comparison with everything else.
I thought Versace "Eros" was boring and blecchhh and those print ads are hilarious - not sure how Eros relates to a gladiator in metallic body paint (according to one reviewer "as if he belonged on a pride float").
Tauer's "PHI-Rose de Kandahar" was a purchase for me - not the best of the year I'm sure, but compellingly interesting in that Tauer way.
I liked Jour d'Hermes as well. Very simple creation but somthing I could definitely find a place for in summer.
Any other department store releases I tried would have to be in the forgettable category - I have a purse full of blotters and samples of various designer offerings: Vera Wang, DKNY, Roberto Cavalli etc and they all smell vaguely the same.
10 years ago
Triffid:
Most of the things I sampled this year were not actually 2013 releases. I have so much catching up to do, perfume education-wise, that keeping up with current releases barely registers.

Just like books, there are so many classics I have yet to read/smell. And, like books, I've simply given up on new fragrance releases as a priority. My favorite discovery this year? "Ambra Nera" Finally a vanilla rich amber of high quality and pedigree that breaks me of my "Pi" habit.
10 years ago
wrosts . invictus paco rabanne and polo red

best. bentley intense
10 years ago
Sweetgrass:
Perfumecrazy:
PS The best description of my experience of Rogue is a review on Fragrantica by En Fragrance Delicto - Gucci Rush meets sugared lemon. But with suede.

Aaahhh, you sold it to me with lemon blossom atop suede alone. I'll be on the lookout for this! Damn Very Happy

I should probably update here that I am going to get this as a belated Christmas present. Really looking forward to it!
10 years ago
Best: Fortis by Les Liquides Imaginaires (though technically a 2011 release)

Worst: Black Musk by Illuminum (head shop patchouli)

Weird: Montecristo by Masque
10 years ago
With 1200 new perfume releases a year I haven't bothered to keep up.
I was interested in the new Boucheron but it failed to fire. It's fun reading all your assessments though. I am a Jean Claude fan and I need to revisit Jour D"Hermes in a non perfumed environment.
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands Best/worst/weirdest new perfumes of 2013?
Jump to