Search Forum

Looking for Aldehydes

Looking for Aldehydes 10 years ago
Dear parfumistas

I love Aldehydes in a perfume and I want too explore more scents with these notes.
I have tried several already, but can you recomend me some must try's

Have tried so far: Chanel no 5. Bois de Isles, Baghari, Galliano, Le Ame Soeur, Arpege, L Aimant, Dolce & Gabanna, Rive gauche
10 years ago
Did you try PG's "Tonkamande"? It has/features Aldehydes, too (it's been one of my favourite fragrances during the past two years).

(Btw: Het is nu ook mogelijk om in het Nederlands te praten. Wink )
www.parfumo.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=19
10 years ago
Try Noontide Petals by Andy Tauer
10 years ago
I love aldehydes too. For floral aldehydes, two must tries are "Caleche" by Hermes and "First" by Van Cleef & Arpels (the latter is almost a reference scent for fatty aldehydic perfume). Amouage "Gold Woman" is very similar at five times the price.
"Calandre" by Paco Rabanne is a lovely rose aldehyde with chypre leanings, very similar to Rive Gauche.
A gorgeous modern entry is "Jinx" by Tommi Sooni, poor longevity though. (Samples available from Luckyscent or Tommi Sooni website).
I've not tried it, but I believe Amouage "Dia Woman" also fits the bill.
Last edited by Triffid on 02.12.2013, 00:44; edited 1 time in total
10 years ago
In case you want to try some men's fragrances with aldehydes:
- "Bvlgari pour Homme" is a rather musky frag with some aldehydes in the top
- I've also heard good things about Givenchy "Insensé".Hard to find though...
- Chanel "Allure Homme Sport" also has aldehydes. Though I'm not fond of it.

Some aldehydes are also used in "weird" fragrances, such as:
- "Comme des Garçons 2" (unisex)
- And I've heard good things about Histoires de Parfums "Edition Rare - Petroleum" (unisex)
10 years ago
You may also find this article helpful (link below). It gives a comprehensive breakdown of various aldehyde types and their effects as well as a list of examples, including some of the ones I've mentioned.

perfumeshrine.blogspot.com.au/2008/12/myth-deb unking-1-what-are-aldehydes-how.html

Not all aldehydic fragrances smell characteristically "soapy" or "waxy" though that's usually the giveaway for me. "White Linen" and "L'interdit" are others that come to mind and I would swear that "Miss Dior" contain aldehydes, though this may not be listed in the notes.
10 years ago
Rive Gauche.
10 years ago
Annie:
Did you try PG's "Tonkamande"? It has/features Aldehydes, too (it's been one of my favourite fragrances during the past two years).

(Btw: Het is nu ook mogelijk om in het Nederlands te praten. Wink )
www.parfumo.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=19

No I did not try this one, but I will thxs for letting me know
10 years ago
Digindirt:
Rive Gauche.

I dont like Rive Gauche. to many flowers
10 years ago
Triffid:
You may also find this article helpful (link below). It gives a comprehensive breakdown of various aldehyde types and their effects as well as a list of examples, including some of the ones I've mentioned.

perfumeshrine.blogspot.com.au/2008/12/myth-deb unking-1-what-are-aldehydes-how.html

Not all aldehydic fragrances smell characteristically "soapy" or "waxy" though that's usually the giveaway for me. "White Linen" and "L'interdit" are others that come to mind and I would swear that "Miss Dior" contain aldehydes, though this may not be listed in the notes.

Thank you so much, this might help
10 years ago
Majet:
Try Noontide Petals by Andy Tauer

Would love too try this one, I like Andy's reverie au jardin very much
10 years ago
Sleuth:
In case you want to try some men's fragrances with aldehydes:
- "Bvlgari pour Homme" is a rather musky frag with some aldehydes in the top
- I've also heard good things about Givenchy "Insensé".Hard to find though...
- Chanel "Allure Homme Sport" also has aldehydes. Though I'm not fond of it.

Some aldehydes are also used in "weird" fragrances, such as:
- "Comme des Garçons 2" (unisex)
- And I've heard good things about Histoires de Parfums "Edition Rare - Petroleum" (unisex)

I didnt know their were man scents with aldehydes too. Will try those
10 years ago
10 years ago
Pipette:
"Miriam" - Tableau de Parfums - Tauer Perfumes

www.luckyscent.com/shop/section/1/item/55100/b rand/Tableau_de_Parfums/Miriam.html

Tis could be a option
10 years ago
Is this another name for "Calandre" by Paco Rabanne, which I've already mentioned above as a rose aldehyde . I wore this beauty back in the 80s until it was discontinued and now own the reformulation.
Delphine later mentions not liking Rive Gauche so she probably won't enjoy Calandre either.
10 years ago
It's confusing - there are two separate entries in the Parfumo data base showing different bottles and similar, but not identical formulas, which suggests that these were different releases or perhaps variations on a theme.
I decided not to go with TPC's Calandre offer (expensive, as you observed!) as I figured I might as well go straight to the new version and decide if I could live with it. I can, but it's not quite the rich, green rose aldehyde that my olfactory memory recalls.
10 years ago
YSL Parisienne EDT is nice...
10 years ago
Triffid:
Is this another name for "Calandre" by Paco Rabanne, which I've already mentioned above as a rose aldehyde . I wore this beauty back in the 80s until it was discontinued and now own the reformulation.
Delphine later mentions not liking Rive Gauche so she probably won't enjoy Calandre either.

I remember Calandre and I liked it more then the Rive Gauche but I find it a bit sharp
10 years ago
Delphine67:
Triffid:

I remember Calandre and I liked it more then the Rive Gauche but I find it a bit sharp

Delphine, I own both but it's interesting that you remember Calandre as being sharp. When I first tried it, back in the 80s, I remember thinking it had a daringly unisex, almost pungent geranium note about it, but it doesn't feel that way to me anymore, probably because I now own some very sharp green chypres like Scherrer and Miss Balmain. It almost feels smooth by comparison. You possibly won't like Caleche if this is the case, as the thing I like about it is the very sharp opening notes.
10 years ago
I will order samples of Noontide petals and amouage Dia woman. for now Smile

Thank you all for the help
10 years ago
A very remarkable aldehydic experience is "Vapor" by Neil Morris. This perfume is completely focussed on aldehydes, and they indeed provide imaginations of fog, clouds and steam. I highly recommend this fragrance for testing.

Among the gent's colognes, aldehydes have lost some of their popularity, so one should look at old perfumes that are still around: "Royal Copenhagen" has a beautiful iridescent aldehydic touch, and it is still available.

There is one newer gents' cologne with distinct aldehydes: "Russisch Leder" by Farina Gegenüber (relaunched a while ago). The classic Cuir de Russie accord is well-known, but adding aldehydes to it is the personal touch of the Farina perfumer. It has both the iridescent and the buttery appeal that aldehydes can have. I'd call it an Chanel No. 5 for men.
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfume Recommendations Looking for Aldehydes
Jump to