Search Forum

Something I still don't understand about the parfum extrait

10 years ago
This is a very good, yet brief, article that answers your questions.
http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/2011/06/myth -busting-what-fragrance.html

I don't know who told you that essential oils are used in extrait de parfum, and synthetics are used in lower concentrations, but they don't know what they're talking about, so I would caution you against treating them as reliable sources of information.
10 years ago
Traditionally, denominations such as Extrait, Eau de Parfum, Eau de Parfum, Eau de Toilette and Eau de Cologne stand for different concentrations of the fragrant components. However, this is not reliable any longer.

More and more companies use these nanes simply for marketing their flankers. Sometimes, it is really difficult for us to find out if a new proposal named Extrait of something is actually a new perfume that we should list or just another concentration that we should not.
10 years ago
Apicius:
Traditionally, denominations such as Extrait, Eau de Parfum, Eau de Parfum, Eau de Toilette and Eau de Cologne stand for different concentrations of the fragrant components. However, this is not reliable any longer.

More and more companies use these nanes simply for marketing their flankers. Sometimes, it is really difficult for us to find out if a new proposal named Extrait of something is actually a new perfume that we should list or just another concentration that we should not.

This is an important observation. The term "extrait" in particular has recently been terribly abused -- by which I mean "used by perfumers in other than the traditional context specifying concentration."
10 years ago
It seems as if you have the mistaken impression (or perhaps it is just a wish or suspicion) that fragrances are always created in high concentration form (extrait), and then they are somehow diluted for public consumption. That is not the case at all.

Look at this article about the various fragrances in the "Merveilles" family, all issued by Hermes.

http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/2012/08/freq uent-questions-differences-between.html

Notice that the first one to be released was an edt (eau de toilette), created by Ralf Schweiger and Nathalie Feisthauer.

Notice that the second one, released a year later, was an edp (extrait de parfum) by J-C Ellena. Read the notes -- they are very different! So the second fragrance released is not simply a higher concentration than the first. It's altogether a different composition!

If you look at the rest of the Merveilles family described in that article, you may come to understand that this is but one illustration of the great variations that are possible in the creation and marketing of one fragrance. For example, Elixir des Merveilles is altogether different from both Eau des Merveilles edt and Eau des Merveilles edp!

One more thing, addressing again your question about the process of creating and marketing of fragrance. Here is an oversimplification of the process followed by a large fragrance house:

A house writes up a brief, which is a description of what they want in a perfume. A nose reads that brief, and creates a fragrance, and presents it to the house. There may be some back and forth, but the final version of the fragrance is the juice created by the nose, and accepted by the house. That is what is then sold on the shelves. And in most cases, the juice will contain many synthetic aromachemicals. Only indie houses dedicated to naturals avoid synthetics completely.
Last edited by SystemeD on 02.01.2014, 21:31; edited 1 time in total
10 years ago
Well said, SystemeD. That sums it up.
10 years ago
Pipette:
Well said, SystemeD. That sums it up.

Agree
10 years ago
Quite frankly, (as a consumer) I don't care much about HOW the perfumes are put together ... as long as it smells good, I spray it.
10 years ago
The "something" that I have chosen by sniffing.
10 years ago
This is getting tedious. Rolling Eyes
Either discuss constructively or leave it alone.
10 years ago
Rolling Eyes
10 years ago
Cruella:
What's with the rudeness?? If discussing something is beyond your capabilities, then maybe you should never be on a forum.

I think this remark is a request for an account deletion.
10 years ago
You cannot insult other members who are participating by saying "over your mental capabilities".
10 years ago
When you start a thread, any thread, any topic - you cannot expect that everybody agrees with you.

The discussion was harmless. I said, that I "don't really care what is IN a perfume, and I find them by sniffing."

In another thread, started today, I asked, "What makes you really BUY a perfume?" You are welcome there, to post and say your experience with perfume buying.

Parfumo is a peaceful crowd, not everyone always agrees, but nobody wants to fight. Life is too short to fight on the internet. There is enough trouble in the real world.
oh, i think this is the real world 10 years ago
Surprised
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands Something I still don't understand about the parfum extrait
Jump to