Search Forum

Are there perfumes not suitable for you?

Are there perfumes not suitable for you? 9 years ago
After a while, everyone finds - if not a signature - at least a personal style. Chypres, Orientals, Flowers, Woods.

There are some favorites inside everyone's collection. There are some mistakes which will find their way to the Souk or given away.

This topic means to glean the ones of interest only, and not really suitable, not really wearable.

I will start -

"Shem-el-Nessim" by Grossmith. I had heard so much about it. It is intriguing, interesting ... but I cannot wear it much. It starts good, then turns to dried hay.

"Chypre Mousse" by Oriza L. Legrand. Kafka praises it to high heaven in her blog(s) ... I gave it away. It was too dense, too heavy. I love to sniff it - but not wear it.

"Cinnabar" by Estee Lauder. It reminds me of "Opium" and the heavy days of the Eighties. Everything was extra, more, full ... shoulder pads, women in great assertion. Today, this scent is just too heavy, close to suffocating my ways.

Your thoughts ?
Last edited by Pipette on 20.01.2014, 14:07; edited 2 times in total
9 years ago
"L'Heure Bleue" And "Après l'Ondée" are musty and old-fashioned on me. My nose just refuses to work with those two classics, and judging by the comments on many fora about how these too have been watered down over the years I don't even want to get close to the originals, except maybe for science. "Une Fleur de Cassie" has a similar vibe, but I am not yet sure what I actually think about it.

"Scent" is okay but there is something plastic about it to my nose that is keeping me from just liking it.

And almost every perfume with prominent rose notes/accords is dreadful to me, not just unpleasant but horrifying and I can't get most of them off my skin quickly enough. Sigh, I so wanted to love "Portrait of a Lady" but it was not to be.

Musks I have talked about before, but one notable scent ruined for me by musk is "Mûre et Musc".

I always find it sad when I can't seem to like a perfume (unless it is objectively awful), but that's just the way it is. Souks and swap lists are about to be updated :p
9 years ago
I find that sharp citrus and dark fruit in fragrance tends to assault my nose. Even if there are other notes listed that I do love are in the formula, the tiniest bit of raspberry or blackcurrent will make the fragrance unbearable for me. It feels like the equivalent of having a pea in the bed, uncomfortable.
Re: Are there perfumes not suitable for you? 9 years ago
Pipette:

"Chypre Mousse" by Oriza L. Legrand. Kafka praises it to high heaven in her blog(s) ... I gave it away. It was too dense, too heavy. I love to sniff it - but not wear it.

^^This one. So glad to hear I'm not alone. I was puzzled by all the fascination for this fragrance. As a chypre, it's pretty one-dimensional IMO, and there is some abrasive quality in it that my nose didn't like at all.

Givenchy "Gentleman" gets a lot of praise on the internet boards, but for some reason I could never warm up to this scent. I used to have a vintage and a modern version but eventually got rid of both. Patchouli, civet don't scare me, but this one is just not my cup of tea.
9 years ago
"Mitsouko"
"Apres l'Ondee"
"L'Heure Bleue"

These come to mind. They smell like history. And being about a century old, they are!
9 years ago
I'm not a big fan of tuberose at all.
"Ysatis"
"Truth or Dare"
"Amarige"
"J'adore"
"Fracas"
"Velvet Tuberose"
all come to mind where the tuberose does not interact well with me. It's just too much, too linear and I don't appreciate anything else.
Re: Are there perfumes not suitable for you? 8 years ago
Epimedes:
Pipette:

^^This one. So glad to hear I'm not alone. I was puzzled by all the fascination for this fragrance. As a chypre, it's pretty one-dimensional IMO, and there is some abrasive quality in it that my nose didn't like at all.

Givenchy "Gentleman" gets a lot of praise on the internet boards, but for some reason I could never warm up to this scent. I used to have a vintage and a modern version but eventually got rid of both. Patchouli, civet don't scare me, but this one is just not my cup of tea.

I couldn't cope with it either. At the same time my daughter developed a fascination for Coco Noir and I have to concede that we are modern in taste. I do wear the great Guerlains but I love 19 and Cristalle, and the new Ivoire. Pipette, you are fascinated with Euphorisme D'Opium? Have you worn it?
8 years ago
I experience the same as Sweetgrass with musk. I buy lots of scents without testing - but I always check the notes first and if musk is among them I test it before buying. One that does not suit me is Noa by Cacharel. It makes me feel dirty and reeking of sweat. I can wear scents with musk, though. Passenger by ST Dupont is one of my favourite scents. So I guess it depends on the other notes. If there are citric notes, then the musk is not so offending. But combined with heavy flower notes I have to pass.
In my opinion, taste changes over the years. Maybe the ability to smell becomes less efficient. In my highschool years Poison was the big thing. A friend of mine wore it every day and to me it smelled like moulded clothes, left damp in a closet and catching that distinctive smell of attic. I couldn't stand it. But now I like the scent. I have smelled it several times and consider it a well-composed classic.
Last edited by Piapedersen on 14.06.2014, 15:16; edited 1 time in total
8 years ago
While it's not a particular note, I have issues with perfumes that are both linear and everlasting. After a day or two of smelling the exact same accord I start to go quite bonkers. It sounds counter-intuitive since we logically value longevity, but sometimes a perfume is just so strong I have to scrub it off and have some fresh air (or at least a change in perfume)!
Forum Overview Miscellaneous Are there perfumes not suitable for you?
Jump to