Search Forum

Reusing empty sample vials?

Reusing empty sample vials? 10 years ago
Is it doable, or does the perfume stick to it for all eternity? I have a few refillable, now empty sample sprays that I'd like to reuse.
10 years ago
I am glad you asked this question Sweetgrass. I have one on my counter right now, debating on what to do. I think I will wash with soap and water then put rubbing alcohol in and swish around.

Any tried and true methods welcome.
10 years ago
It seems that Fragranticans have been talking about this a few times, and I found these two threads with many useful tips:

www.fragrantica.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=308 68
www.fragrantica.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=726 59

This could be a job for an otherwise quiet day at home! I do hope someone will make a step-by-step tutorial with pictures though Smile
10 years ago
I wash them with soap and put some baking soda inside, leave them for a while and rinse them clean. I also fill them , screw the top and empty by spraying. A way to clean the sprayer.
10 years ago
I've tried but unless it's a very soft scent that's been in them I can never get the smell of the original juice out of the sprayer. Since they're a reasonable price via Proudstyle I've resigned myself to putting them in the recycling and buying some more... I don't like waste, but I dislike the idea of having/giving a wrong impression of a perfume more.
10 years ago
I have tried rubbing alcohol and vodka to clean them out. I still can smell the old perfume. I would really like to reuse the old sprayers, but I end up tossing them out or using them for the same fragrance.
10 years ago
What works best for me is one round with soapy water, pumping the sprayer of course to fill up the stem, let that sit overnight, then a second round with water and baking soda.
10 years ago
I've had no problem re-using them. I let them soak in the hottest possible water with lots of soap but I also heavily spritz them with anti-bacterial sanitizer. That seems to kill off anything that's left in the mechanism. I let them sit in a bowl until the water cools down. Then I refill it again with the soap, sanitizer and water. I fill the little vials with the mixture of hot water, soap and sanitizer and start spraying them until they are empty. But, I'll fill them repeatedly (and depending on the scent that was originally in them) this can take up to 20 times of spraying them till they're empty to get rid of the original scent. I'm big on re-cycling and see no need to toss them. I've managed to re-use all of mine and never had to throw one away yet. This way, I've managed to save on the cost of buying new ones, I have ones to spare for share and I'm saving the environment. Do a few at a time to save energy, too.
10 years ago
I reuse with the same.. hot water, soap, alcohol (if it is glass I will use a weak bleach and water mix) but then I let them sit outside totally open, taken apart, for several days, sometimes up to a week for stronger scents.
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfume Discussions Reusing empty sample vials?
Jump to