Search Forum

Your favourite lavender fragrance

Your favourite lavender fragrance 10 years ago
Hi, could you suggest a good lavender fragrance for me? Preferably a fresh one that's good for spring, and not a heavy fougère. (I already know Platinum Égoïste, Pour un Homme, L'Occitan p.Homme, Eldo Antiheros, Rive Gauche and the one from Prada)
10 years ago
No doubt the blokes can help you on this one but have you tried Tauer's "Reverie au Jardin"?
Lavender can be a problem note for me, inducing headaches, but I like this one. The lavender is dominant but has a pungent green freshness to it, not musty or overly medicinal. I'd say it's unisex, approved by the Triffid men.
I also quite like "Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme" which has lavender and tobacco, not heavy at all and not a traditional fougere either.
Re: Your favourite lavender fragrance 10 years ago
Sleuth:
Hi, could you suggest a good lavender fragrance for me? Preferably a fresh one that's good for spring, and not a heavy fougère. (I already know Platinum Égoïste, Pour un Homme, L'Occitan p.Homme, Eldo Antiheros, Rive Gauche and the one from Prada)

Sleuth, this is a difficult question.

One of my prefered lavender fragrances is "Oxford & Cambridge" but this is definitely a heavy fougère. I think a good and fresh lavender perfume is yet to come.

The problem ist that ever since the success of Caron's "Pour un Homme" in 1949 the "serious" lavender perfumes follow the trail of combining lavender with vanilla (i.e. Nicolaï's "New York" or Odori's "Spigo"). A variation is the combination is lavender plus other oriental notes like tonka (Social Creature's "Utopian"). I particularly like Utopian but I would not call it fresh.

Then there are Serge Luten's "Gris Claire" and d'Orsay's "Arôme 3" which are a bit on the unisex side. Arôme 3 may be called fresh but it is very soft and tender.

Maybe Villoresi's "Wild Lavender" is the fragrance for you. It combines lavender wit a fresh laundry musk.

Actually, my advice would be to try a plain and simple lavender water as you can get it from traditional English brands as Geo F.Trumper, D.R. Harris or Taylor of Old Bond Street.
10 years ago
@Apicius: thanks for the essay Smile
@Triffid: thanks for the reply!
10 years ago
I have never smelt the Caldey Island fragrance that Luca Turin favours but I thought I should mention it. Who knows it? Is it good?
10 years ago
"Eau Illuminée" is nice. A melange of herbs, lavender, orris and tonka. Not heavy and pretty unisex IMO.
10 years ago
"Amber & Lavender" by Jo Malone is a very versatile fragrance. It's fairly straightforward and uncomplicated.
10 years ago
thanks everyone!
10 years ago
Another vote for Serge's "Gris clair..." is an exceptional lavender perfume although it is feminine-leaning more than unisex imho. There's nothing fresh or spring-like that I can think of though Very Happy
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfume Recommendations Your favourite lavender fragrance
Jump to