Search Forum

EU amendment to sharpen restrictions on fragrance allergens

51 - 75 by 84
10 years ago
Sleuth:
Would it be possible to mention a few perfumes in which lyral plays an important role?

Andy Tauer's "Carillon pour un ange" is chock-full of Lyral and he concedes it would be impossible to produce if this ingredient was restricted.
10 years ago
Triffid:
Andy Tauer's "Carillon pour un ange" is chock-full of Lyral and he concedes it would be impossible to produce if this ingredient was restricted.

Thanks for adding this one, Triffid! Makes sense, this uber-Muguet would be dead without Lyral. Sad
10 years ago
For those of you interested in fighting this nonsense, Persolaise has written a fine article that includes a letter to the Commission that is tasked with gauging public opinion on this issue. Please use it, and share it with your perfume friends over in the Facebook groups and elsewhere. A little action on the part of perfume lovers right now could save a lot of aggravation down the road from discontinuations and crappy reformulations. Idea Furthermore, Andy Tauer has already gone on record saying that he may simply stop shipping his fragrances to EU countries if this legislation is passed, and he may only be the first of many.

http://networkedblogs.com/UgCc6
10 years ago
Cryptic:
Andy Tauer has already gone on record saying that he may simply stop shipping his fragrances to EU countries if this legislation is passed, and he may only be the first of many.
http://networkedblogs.com/UgCc6

Wouldn't it be wild if the US became the epicenter of fine perfumery?
10 years ago
OK, dumb question, but I gather that the EU restrictions only apply to perfumes made or sold within the EU? So, for example, if a company here in Australia makes their own line and only distributes to the local market and countries outside the EU, such as the US or Asia, they can continue to use these potentially restricted ingredients? And would they still be able to import ingredients from somewhere like France where restrictions do apply i.e. will the legislation apply to the export of raw ingredients from the affected countries or just their use/sale within the EU?
Of course, restricting the use of ingredients that are mainstays of the perfume industry will undoubtedly have an adverse effect on the growers/suppliers themselves?
This has probably been covered in all the documents but I've not connected the dots as yet.
10 years ago
Triffid:
.. I gather that the EU restrictions only apply to perfumes made or sold within the EU?

Yes, Triffid. As for your other question, whether or not EU firms can continue to produce banned substances for export purpose only, I do not know. Good question. Exporting restricted substances and natural extracts I'd expect to be still legal.
10 years ago
Dear Parfumos,
The texts for petition and public consultation are finalised and Don is currently finishing the petition functionality. We intent to initially run the petition internally for a few days, i.e. in this forum, before going public, so as to test the functionality with your help.
Also, we still haven't got a catchy header, some clever, tongue-in-cheek phrase to attract attention. Your suggestions, if you happen to have an idea, would be very welcome. Very Happy
10 years ago
MiaTrost:
Dear Parfumos,
The texts for petition and public consultation are finalised and Don is currently finishing the petition functionality. We intent to initially run the petition internally for a few days, i.e. in this forum, before going public, so as to test the functionality with your help.
Also, we still haven't got a catchy header, some clever, tongue-in-cheek phrase to attract attention. Your suggestions, if you happen to have an idea, would be very welcome. Very Happy

"A perfume without scent is like a picture without colour"
10 years ago
MiaTrost:
Dear Parfumos,

"A perfume without scent is like a picture without colour:045fde4532]
That works for me!
10 years ago
"Save Perfume's Soul"

(SPS - as in SOS)
. . . . _ _ . . . .
(in Morse code) Smile

Smile

"For art's sake, not for orcs' make!"

"For art's sake, not orcs to make"

- of your choice.
10 years ago
Exclamation "Save Perfume's Soul" is great, too.
10 years ago
Cryptic:

I like this one because it is a call to action, plus it gets to the heart of the matter in very few words.
10 years ago
Dulcemio:
Cryptic:

I like this one because it is a call to action, plus it gets to the heart of the matter in very few words.

Indeed, Dulce. That's a fav of mine too. Plus, it translates nicely into French, just German will be somewhat tricky.
Last edited by MiaTrost on 12.12.2017, 08:38; edited 1 time in total
10 years ago
The German translation will be somewhat tricky -

How about:

"Die Seele des Parfums - hilft uns, sie zu retten!"
10 years ago
Thanks, Pipette. Will pass it on to the German peeps in the working group.
10 years ago
Laurie Erickson (Sonoma Scent Studio) reports that apparently "the EU has decided, at least for now, to continue to allow the low atranol version of oakmoss and tree moss while only banning moss that has not had the allergens atranol and chloroatranol reduced. Most perfumers (myself included) already switched to the low atranol version of oakmoss years ago when that standard was first set by IFRA, so there will be no change for us. IFRA not only requires the use of the low atranol type but also places a limit on the percentage of use of the low atranol type. Even at the IFRA level it is useful though, and I have the low atranol natural moss in many of my perfumes. I am glad to hear they are not banning it."
See: EU Regulations Update — Good News

If that is true indeed, the complete ban is off the table and a limit will be implemented instead, at least in the interim.
10 years ago
That does sound like good news (if accurate) as far as oakmoss is concerned. Smile Let's hope that one day soon some genius comes up with a way to remove atranol from oakmoss completely.

If the article turns out to be true, that's too bad about the Lyral ban, which will result in many, many reformulations. It's interesting that they banned the synthetic and merely limited the natural substance. So much for the aromachemical conspiracy theory.
10 years ago
The blog article of Sonomascent refers to this article:

www.happi.com/contents/view_breaking-news/2014 -05-27/eu-rules-ban-3-not-12-ingredients/?emai l_uid=9b0f0ba412/list_id=972e8e7a65/

So, something leaked out in advance before the publication of the consultation results.

"The consultation triggered more than 200 responses from industry players, consumers' associations and researchers, which the EU said was a relatively high number."

Consumers associations can only mean us - probably the first time that "consumers associations" were taken into account.

I hope this information should prove valid in the near future

It looks our engagement was not in vain!
Last edited by Apicius on 09.06.2014, 21:57; edited 1 time in total
10 years ago
If we ban citral from perfumes, of which certain elements are allergens, we should ban orange juice. It is absurd. We should not ban nature, only learn how to live with it," said Frederic Malle, who founded the French luxury perfume company Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle.

sonomascent.wordpress.com/2014/05/27/eu-regula tions-update/
10 years ago
The Happi article Ms. Erickson refers to states "that the Commission is planning to ban, in its original form, oak moss and tree moss". That is not exactly precise. So, for now I cannot confirm Ms. Erickson's understanding that this implies the use of low (chloro-)atranol oakmoss and tree moss won't be prohibited. Will try to clarify this.

Actually the recent Reuters article, Perfume industry braces for tough new EU rules, is the first to mention consumer associations, which the Happi magagize seems to recycle.
10 years ago
Happi magazine never deigned to reply to us ..

Coverage of the pending bans by euronews:
youtu.be/FQl9TekzBnw
10 years ago
What is the current status on the Petition? Has it been submitted or are signatures still being collected?
10 years ago
Hi, Pipette. As far as I know, the proposed amendment is still pending in Brussels and has yet to be decided. The petition was submitted to the appropriate committee quite some time ago. The Parfumo documents are still circulating, and here's the link in the case you need it for some reason:

www.parfumo.com/petition/index.html

The last news I recall hearing on this disheartening subject concerned the discontinuation of the Amouage attars, which appears to have been prompted by allergen restrictions.

www.kafkaesqueblog.com/category/main-perfume-h ouses/amouage/page/2/
10 years ago
Reading that last article makes me sick to my stomach. How dare they (IFRA and the EU) ruin generations of tradition because of such ridiculous fancies. It breaks my heart to read that.
Vetiver - is it dangerous, too? 9 years ago
Well, they are at it again. To suggest banning an essential ingredient, but without all substantial data collected. Hence, inclusive, and without merit.

On the German twin side, there is a lively discussion:

www.parfumo.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40829&hig hlight=

Read this link:

ec.europa.eu/health/scientific_committees/cons umer_safety/docs/sccs_o_167.pdf

If you have the patience to dig through the whole report, at the end you will find -

"On the basis of the inadequate data provided, a reliable safety assessment cannot be
7 performed whether vetiveryl acetate on the market is safe for use in cosmetics at the
8 concentration limits proposed by the IFRA. However, due to the major concern of
9 genotoxicity the SCCS considers vetiveryl acetate unsafe as a cosmetic ingredient."

So, based on inadequate data ... just declare it unsafe ... to be on the safe side.

I thought that you would not want to miss this. I am also still wondering what is the latest on the oakmoss issue?
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands EU amendment to sharpen restrictions on fragrance allergens
51 - 75 by 84
Jump to