Search Forum

rose orientals, please!

1 - 25 by 28
rose orientals, please! 10 years ago
I am on the hunt for my perfect rose oriental and would love some suggestions.

Here are some I already know:

"Noir de Noir" (like)
"Cherry Bomb No. 5" (like)
"Alluring" (like)
"Rose Ishtar" (not sure)
"Tocade" (don't like)

I look foward to your suggestions!

Smile
10 years ago
I'm not much help Dulcemio as I love roses but not so much in the oriental style. Not familiar with the ones you've listed.
Wondering if you've tried Tauer's "Collectible - PHI" (Rose de Kandahar)"? An interesting one that straddles genres but I feel is closer to an oriental than anything else. Hard to describe but ultimately was about rose, bitter almond and creamy vanilla to me (but not really gourmand).
Amouage "Lyric Woman" may also be worth trying. Many extol the dark rose and smoky frankincense of this one but personally, it was more about ylang ylang and custardy vanilla to my nose (I agree with Kafka's blog). You may find the rose more obvious than I but regardless, it's a beautiful perfume.
10 years ago
Lovely theme, Dulce. I second "Lyric Woman" and add "Lyric Man", the latter features a more prominent rose but both are terrific. Also "Portrait of a Lady", "Nahéma", "Incense Rosé" and possibly also Villoresi's Musk, spring to my mind. How about exploring the Rosine range? Oh, and since you also like a good patchouli, do check out ELdO's Eau de Protection. Smile
10 years ago
If you like rose/patchouli, JHAG "Vengeance Extreme" is less nuanced and refined but similar to Portrait of a Lady for a fraction of the price and adds vanilla to the base notes.
10 years ago
Oh, you people are the BEST! Thank you for these suggestions! Very Happy

When I get caught up with work I'm going to explore!
10 years ago
I can suggest two rose orientals. The first is a wonderful fragrance! It has oud in it, but it is such a well put together scent. Armani Prive Rose D' Arabie. The second may be a bit sweet, as it's actually a vanilla oriental type, but the rose is very pleasant) Mancera Roses Vanille. But, I can't help but mention my very favorite rose, of all times (so far, anyway), but this isn't a real oriental, but a Chypre Floral) Andy Tauer's Une Rose Chypree. Hope this has helped towards your test list! Smile
10 years ago
Thank you, Dalmajen!

"Rose d'Arabie" sounds interesting. I've only tried two fragrances containing oud so far, and I wasn't a fan of those rubbery notes, but I know all ouds are not the same, so I will keep sampling. (I just hope it doesn't end up like my multiple attempts to enjoy sashemi.) Laughing

What about "Rose d'Arabie L'Or du Desert" ? Have you tried that one too?
10 years ago
MiaVonTrost:
Lovely theme, Dulce. I second "Lyric Woman" and add "Lyric Man", the latter features a more prominent rose but both are terrific. Also "Portrait of a Lady", "Nahéma", "Incense Rosé" and possibly also Villoresi's Musk, spring to my mind. How about exploring the Rosine range? Oh, and since you also like a good patchouli, do check out ELdO's Eau de Protection. Smile

Wham Bamm, thank you Ma'am. These are the best suggestions in my book. Lately in love with ELdO's Rossy de Palma AKA Eau de Protection.
10 years ago
Any more oriental rose suggestions?

bumpity bump bump
10 years ago
I recommend snatching a bottle of "Midnight Poison" before it's gone. Other than that... "Rose Poivrée" has rose, civet and pepper. Looks interesting. I've also tried "1969 - Parfum de Révolte": Cacao + rose. Interesting concept, but I didn't love it because it smelled a bit 'thin'. There's also "Costes": incense, pepper and rose. I've only tried the flanker products, but maybe reviews say more about it.
10 years ago
Thank you, Sleuth! Those sound interesting.
Re: rose orientals, please! 10 years ago
Dulcemio:
I am on the hunt for my perfect rose oriental and would love some suggestions. Here are some I already know:

"Noir de Noir" (like)

+1 for Noir de Noir, Dulce. What else do you need, right? Wink One of my favorite rose fragrances. Although I consider it more of a night out sort of scent. I don't think I could get away with wearing it to the grocery store or work. It's kicking'!
10 years ago
Yes, Grey, "Noir de Noir" has a strong presence, doesn't it!

However, it might be a little too smooth and rounded (too Tom Fordy?) to meet my criteria at the moment. I am dreaming of a luscious rose couched in some oriental richness, earthy, spicy, a tad sweet and a little rough around the edges.
10 years ago
Dulcemio:

However, it might be a little too smooth and rounded (too Tom Fordy?) to meet my criteria at the moment. I am dreaming of a luscious rose couched in some oriental richness, earthy, spicy, a tad sweet and a little rough around the edges.

As MiaVon Trost (seconded by me) suggested do try the Rossy de Palma, my daughter loves it big time
10 years ago
Hi, Dulcemio. I've been trying to identify rose orientals in the samples I have and it depends on the definition. Everyone seems to agree an oriental has amber, though the Fragrances of the World Fragrance Wheel says: "Sensual, often heavy, blends of oriental resins, opulent flowers, sweet vanilla and musks are introduced by refreshing citrus, green or fruity top notes." It says a floral oriental has orange flower notes with aldehydes and spice and a soft oriental has incense, flowers, spice and amber. The A-Z says they are: "sweet, amber, vanillic accords enlivened with woody, animalic, or floral notes."

Given this, I searched my samples for: rose, amber, musk, vanilla (but excluding jasmine) and came up with:

Flower by Kenzo
Lipstick Rose by Frederick Malle
Mon Nom Est Rouge by Majda Bekkali
Collectible PHI - Une Rose de Kandahar by Tauer

Caron's N'aimez que moi knocked my socks off. The notes only list Bulgarian rose, sandalwood and amber but there certainly must be more to achieve that classic oriental scent.
10 years ago
Rose de Petra
10 years ago
Try with Juliette Has A Gun "Midnight Oud". Well paired rose and oud. Excellent sillage and longevity
10 years ago
Omni:
Dulcemio:

As MiaVon Trost (seconded by me) suggested do try the Rossy de Palma, my daughter loves it big time

I took the suggestion and sampled the Rossy de Palma. In short, wow! Super badass. Who knew roses could be so rebellious! Very Happy
10 years ago
Maybe Roses Vanille by Mancera.
10 years ago
Sandolina:
Try with Juliette Has A Gun "Midnight Oud". Well paired rose and oud. Excellent sillage and longevity

Ooooh, this one sounds intriguing. Thank you, Sandolina!
10 years ago
Miaw2:
Maybe Roses Vanille by Mancera.

Sounds worth investigating further. Thanks, Miaw!
9 years ago
"Deep Roses" by Montale...or "Aoud Queen Rose" by the same brand.
9 years ago
I think "Brûlure de Rose No.13" qualifies as a rose oriental.
9 years ago
PontNeuf and Sleuth,

Thanks for reviving the topic. Both of those suggestions sound good.
9 years ago
Been testing and would like to add "Rose Oud" by Illuminum and Serge Lutens' "La Fille de Berlin".
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfume Recommendations rose orientals, please!
1 - 25 by 28
Jump to