Search Forum

Cocoa-centric perfumes?

Cocoa-centric perfumes? 10 years ago
I am wondering if there is a perfume that is based around the smell of cocoa. I don't mean hot chocolate, or sweetened cocoa, I mean that bitter fragrance that pure cocoa powder gives off. It's been something that I've been looking for for a few days now, but all of the perfumes that I look at seem to have more of a "chocolate" note or a sweet "cacao" note. I don't want to smell like a box of chocolates (as much as I love the smell!) I want something a bit more complex that uses the bitterness of cocoa.

I have NO idea if such a perfume exists, but I would love to have any suggestions that you wonderful "Parfumo-istas" may have for me!
Very Happy
10 years ago
Unfortunately I can't help with any first-hand knowledge, but have you tried the advanced search function? You can search perfumes by notes and from what I checked there are a few in the database with a cocoa bean note, plus a bunch of others cocoa notes. Hope it helps!
10 years ago
Thanks, yes, I've been going through the suggestions. Unfortunately, it seems that perfumers are obsessed with making the note sweet which defeats the object lol! Never mind, I shall keep looking. Thanks Very Happy
10 years ago
The one that comes to mind (I've not tried it) is "Borneo 1834" by Serge Lutens. It apparently has an obvious, not sweet, cocoa note but the catch is that it's heavy on the patchouli. The reviews may help you decide if it's worth sampling.
10 years ago
Triffid:
The one that comes to mind (I've not tried it) is "Borneo 1834" by Serge Lutens. It apparently has an obvious, not sweet, cocoa note but the catch is that it's heavy on the patchouli. The reviews may help you decide if it's worth sampling.

Oooh thanks for the suggestion! I shall definitely get hold of a sample, that sounds very interesting indeed. Very Happy
10 years ago
How about "Chocolat Amere"? I sampled it years ago and remember liking it.

I need to sample Borneo too.

Have you ever tried "Neonatura Cocon"? I don't recall it being very sweet.
10 years ago
Dulcemio:
How about "Chocolat Amere"? I sampled it years ago and remember liking it.

I need to sample Borneo too.

Have you ever tried "Neonatura Cocon"? I don't recall it being very sweet.

"Neonatura Cocon" is one that I looked at but it seems impossible to find anywhere to buy it! It's not available from Yves Rocher any more and I can't find it for sale on eBay or Amazon Sad

However, joy of joys, "Chocolat Amere" is readily available as a sample from Lucky Scent or in various sizes from the Il Profvmo website, so I shall be getting a sample first with my next Lucky Scent order. Thank you for this suggestion. It does seem as if it might be a bit of a "love or hate" sort of fragrance so I am not tempted to blind buy! Laughing
10 years ago
PK perfumes has one called violet chocolatier. The cocoa note is very dry, but you have to like violets of course. The perfume is not as sweet as the notes sound.
10 years ago
Hayven:
PK perfumes has one called violet chocolatier. The cocoa note is very dry, but you have to like violets of course. The perfume is not as sweet as the notes sound.

Violets are beautiful as long as they're not too sweet, so this sounds like it might be right up my street. Thank you! Very Happy
10 years ago
I keep getting an error message when I attempt to checkout on PK Perfumes website, it doesn't actually say, but I think they mustn't ship to the UK which is very disappointing, I was going to purchase their "discovery pack" as loads of their perfumes sound amazing! I've written to them to find out because my interest is seriously piqued now. Very Happy

EDIT: The lovely Paul Kiler wrote back to me super quickly! So I have now placed an order for his discovery pack and was so tempted to buy loads more, but I have resisted until I know which ones I want first. One of the samples is, of course, "Violet Chocolatier". His "Gold Leather" and "Red Leather" sound amazing as well as "Dirty Rose". I'm really excited to receive them now! Laughing
Angel 10 years ago
Angel is with Chocolade
10 years ago
"Santal majuscule" by Serge Lutens is an interesting take on cocoa.
Just three notes: rose, cocoa and sandalwood. The cocoa blends with the rose and sandalwood in a way that enhances their natural qualities and vice versa. One caveat: this dries down to a sandalwood centric fragrance -though you can still smell rose and cocoa- so if you have any hang ups about sandalwood this may not be for you.
10 years ago
"Sorriso" - it is a deep brown fragrance, really easy to wear.

"Xocoatl" - fresh, not sour, not sweet, interesting but definitely filled with cocoa.
10 years ago
Here's a list of chocolate perfumes, maybe there's some cocoa too:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux0aorHfZd0

Also, Guerlain "L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Eau Extrème" has some nice dark cocoa in the opening. But for the most part it's patchouli + dough-ey chocolate, unfortunately... Worth testing though.
10 years ago
On my skin, "Patchouli Intense" by Molinard is bitter dark chocolate and patchouli, but on some people's skin it is sweet so it's worth testing to see how it turns out on you.
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfume Recommendations Cocoa-centric perfumes?
Jump to