Search Forum

Trying Harder

1 - 25 by 30
Trying Harder 10 years ago
Is it me? Have they changed? I recently purchased L'Heure Bleu in an EDT. Previously I had only attempted the EDP and we didn't get along. L'Heure Bleu is supposed to be Apres L'Ondee's older sister but I kept thinking I'd used Mitsouko instead. Has my brain found the Guerlainade and amplified it? Funnily enough I'm enjoying it more. Mona Di Orio (rest in peace) gave her heart to L'Heure Bleu. After she died I decided I would try harder. Have you tried harder to like something and has anyone got any clues as to why I smell Mitsouko in L'Heure Bleu?
10 years ago
Yes Omni , I tried and am trying hard to make Decennial- Lys du Desert talk to me and it does not work. And I have a FB.
10 years ago
Tessa:
Yes Omni , I tried and am trying hard to make Decennial- Lys du Desert talk to me and it does not work. And I have a FB.

ooh, I had a look at the perfume and wish I could suggest something to layer it with. A the moment Bois de Jasmin is running a 'suggest me a perfume' thread. There is a wealth of experience there (that I'm sure will come to Parfumo in time) and I bet one of them could help you out. Here's hoping. Don't let it go to waste!
10 years ago
I'm still coming to terms with Clinique "Aromatics Elixir". I own a small bottle, based on the lovely dry down, but the opening is still very difficult - like Brondecon cough elixir. It doesn't improve with repeated wearings either. Just has to be endured to get to the more pleasant bits beyond.
10 years ago
I believe there are just some perfumes that are not made for me, no matter what the season, no matter what I do to try them, no matter what I do with layering. I have certain bottles of perfume that are relegated to the back burner that I sniff every so often because I love the scent until I put them on. Then I want to wash them off.
Chanel No. 5 is one of them. Mitsouko, which the world adores, sits lonely on my bureau. Why do some of the greats not agree with me. They just don't. But yet, I love their scents. They just don't really do it for me upon application. Aromatics Elixir is another. At least I know I've tried many a time, and I go on to others. There are far too many in our world to adore than to worry about a few that don't agree with me when I actually apply them. I can open the bottles and sniff any time. And then go on to a perfume that adores me and I adore it. Life is too short to wrestle with a perfume.
10 years ago
"Nuit de Noel" by Caron I have tried more than once. I can understand that others love it, I can't. Something just does not gel.

No reason to feel guilty about it, or about anything else. Like Sorceress said, no reason to "wrestle".

There are plenty of favorites which I adore and love to spray on.
10 years ago
Some of us, though, struggle with anglo saxon guilt at the waste of money these failures represent. Triffid, I wore some Aromatics Elixir from a tester bottle whilst on holiday and totally understand how spellbinding the dry down is. The application phase doesn't have much to recommend it, I agree. But neither does Mon Parfum Cheri par Camille for which I have parted with big dollars. There simply has to be a long driveway to walk down or dog crap to be picked up to take one's mind off the intro.
Did I mention the dog coughed his guts up? Just joking, barnyard humour, sorry.
10 years ago
Triffid:
I'm still coming to terms with Clinique "Aromatics Elixir". I own a small bottle, based on the lovely dry down, but the opening is still very difficult - like Brondecon cough elixir. It doesn't improve with repeated wearings either. Just has to be endured to get to the more pleasant bits beyond.

I have researched this problem. On Bois de Jasmin, her section titled Layering Perfumes (1) there are suggestions from Jean Claude Ellena and others. One of them is to layer Aromatics Elixir with Un Zeste d'Ete,-(L'Artisan) a lemon, lemon blossom perfume according to the notes, with some similarity to Eau de Hadrien. I'm thinking that a bright zesty eau de cologne will transform Aromatics Elixir for you. Here's hoping
10 years ago
I am trying harder. I am now layering both Chanel No 5 and L'Heure Bleu with Apres l"Ondee as per the suggestions.

Does Parfumo have a layering suggestions thread? If not, shall we start one?
10 years ago
Omni:
I am trying harder. I am now layering both Chanel No 5 and L'Heure Bleu with Apres l"Ondee as per the suggestions.

This is a thread about layering perfumes, Omni.

www.parfumo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1355
10 years ago
Sorceress:
Omni:

This is a thread about layering perfumes, Omni.

www.parfumo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1355

Fantastic! In the meantime, for Triffid
COMBINATIONS CREATED BY “REAL” FRENCH WOMEN – PUBLISHED IN ELLE MAGAZINE

Iris Silver Mist (Serge Lutens) + Bouton d’Or (L’Artisan Parfumeur)

Aromatics Elixir (Clinique) + Mitsouko (Guerlain)
Aromatics Elixir (Clinique) + Blenheim Bouquet (Penhaligon’s)
Aromatics Elixir (Clinique) + Tea Rose (Perfumer’s Workshop)

Source: Bois je Jasmin and Elle Magazine
10 years ago
Omni,
Answer to your original post, second question: I find LB and Mitsouko very similar. I think they each don't appeal to me for the same reason.

First question: Yes! I tried harder to find nirvana in Tauer's dry desert woody air like so many others have, but I simply could not. As it develops and settles on my skin I find myself trying to will it to go in another direction, like it's a bowling ball slowly heading for gutter.
10 years ago
Dulcemio:
Omni,
Answer to your original post, second question: I find LB and Mitsouko very similar. I think they each don't appeal to me for the same reason.

First question: Yes! I tried harder to find nirvana in Tauer's dry desert woody air like so many others have, but I simply could not. As it develops and settles on my skin I find myself trying to will it to go in another direction, like it's a bowling ball slowly heading for gutter.

Oh thank you, Dulcemio, I thought I was the only one. When my enthusiasm for perfume fails, and it does from time to time, I like to wear a simple skin scent like Yardley Iris. On those days LHB and Mitsouko would be torture. I guess it's another topic because on those days I'm definitely not trying harder. I don't find many joyful encounters with Uncle Serge, so I sympathise with your Tauer's Marocain.
Re: Trying Harder 10 years ago
Omni:
Is it me? Have they changed? I recently purchased L'Heure Bleu in an EDT. Previously I had only attempted the EDP and we didn't get along. L'Heure Bleu is supposed to be Apres L'Ondee's older sister but I kept thinking I'd used Mitsouko instead. Has my brain found the Guerlainade and amplified it? Funnily enough I'm enjoying it more. Mona Di Orio (rest in peace) gave her heart to L'Heure Bleu. After she died I decided I would try harder. Have you tried harder to like something and has anyone got any clues as to why I smell Mitsouko in L'Heure Bleu?

For what it's worth, I find L'Heure Bleue too old for me to wear, although I can appreciate its complexity and beauty... But this is the second time I hear someone liken LHB to Mitsouko and even though I do find those two very different, I've come to think it's the Guerlinade, or whatever else they use in the base of these classics. I love Mitsouko dearly and would wear it all the time were it not for that dank drydown.

Sometimes it's just not meant to be. With some perfumes, pushing them to the back and getting back to them after some time has passed (talking months, minimum) has helped, but it may not work out for you since you have been into perfumes much, much longer than I have (my tastes are still forming). If I were you, I'd just shrug and give up, and appreciate LHB as a classic but quit trying to like it actively. And who knows, maybe one day you wake up craving it and nothing else will do.

Glad to hear I am not the only one who hasn't been wowed by SL. For me, they just keep missing the target -- most of what I've tried hasn't been unlikeable as such but just not right for me, though.
10 years ago
Having a large perfume vocab was unheard of in my younger years. IPerfume releases were less numerous and not marketed to the same degree, then we consider price relative to income. Many young parfumistas' have amassed a great knowledge and an acute olfactory skill. Sweetgrass, your comments are highly regarded. Smile
10 years ago
"Sacrebleu Intense"

Out of the gate this was just another jasmine/orange/carnation thing and I scrubbed it off and put my sample aside. Next!

Then, this weekend, a couple hours before my shower, I tried it again, knowing I'd be washing it off soon. Much to my surprise, it morphed into something much more oriental and up my alley. (See Fanny's review for an accurate,IMO,and concise description.)
10 years ago
Dulcemio:
"Sacrebleu Intense"

Out of the gate this was just another jasmine/orange/carnation thing and I scrubbed it off and put my sample aside. Next!

Then, this weekend, a couple hours before my shower, I tried it again, knowing I'd be washing it off soon. Much to my surprise, it morphed into something much more oriental and up my alley. (See Fanny's review for an accurate,IMO,and concise description.)

Our brains get used to smells; I say in jest that boiled cabbage was regarded fondly by a Polish housemaid friend of my Mother's. I got the burnt rubber off l"Heure Bleu parfum and I'm in good company, Francis Kurkdjian said the same. I'm okay with the EDT. Sacrebleu Intense is supposed to channel it I believe. PdN is not available locally, at least not easily, so I will pounce on it when I see it. Sort of like dating the sister or cousin of a girl/boyfriend? Not cool? Very Happy
10 years ago
I have only just come back to this thread so I missed all the helpful layering suggestions for Aromatics Elixir. Coincidentally, I have some Tea Rose on order. I don't have the other scents but could rustle up something sharp and lemony to try with it.
I generally don't go for layering my perfumes unless it's inadvertantly e.g. sampling four at once at the perfume counter of DJs.
As for trying harder, now that autumn is here I'm going to have another try with some amber and oriental style perfumes. I've come to accept that this style is just not to my personal taste though occasionally the mood is right. I do enjoy smelling these perfumes on others. To be honest, most ambers end up smelling the same to me. Some have interesting and engaging beginnings and then...blah...usually end up too sweet and bland especially if there's vanilla involved....
10 years ago
When I first began my perfume journey, I tried both L'Heure Bleue and Mitsouko and I thought they smelled very much alike as well. In addition, I felt they had a sour note to them that I couldn't get past and so I left them on the store counter.

When pressed, I would have said I preferred LHB. However, neither was tempting me.

Then, I purchased a Vintage Lotion Vegetale of LHB and using that from a spray atomizer into which I transferred it, caused me to fall in love. The Lotion Vegetale was considerably lighter so I think it helped introduce me a bit more slowly. Now, LHB is one of my favorites.

And, it smells nothing like Mitsy to me at all now. I think my nose just changed over time. My sensitivities have adjusted and what I liked in the beginning I no longer enjoy and what I hated I often find I love.

I tried very hard to like Chanel No 5. It took me a long time, but now I love it.

I also tried to like Secretions Magnifique, that one, however, didn't fare as well! YUCK!
10 years ago
Triffid:
I have only just come back to this thread so I missed all the helpful layering suggestions for Aromatics Elixir. Coincidentally, I have some Tea Rose on order. I don't have the other scents but could rustle up something sharp and lemony to try with it.
I generally don't go for layering my perfumes unless it's inadvertantly e.g. sampling four at once at the perfume counter of DJs.
As for trying harder, now that autumn is here I'm going to have another try with some amber and oriental style perfumes. I've come to accept that this style is just not to my personal taste though occasionally the mood is right. I do enjoy smelling these perfumes on others. To be honest, most ambers end up smelling the same to me. Some have interesting and engaging beginnings and then...blah...usually end up too sweet and bland especially if there's vanilla involved....

Ambre Gris by Balmain might possibly tempt you. It's so cheap online that it's worth a blind and the bottle is gorgeous. Somehow I feel it suits those of us in the Pacific Blue, the suggestion of ambergris I guess.
10 years ago
Danieq:
When I first began my perfume journey, I tried both L'Heure Bleue and Mitsouko and I thought they smelled very much alike as well. In addition, I felt they had a sour note to them that I couldn't get past and so I left them on the store counter.

When pressed, I would have said I preferred LHB. However, neither was tempting me.

Then, I purchased a Vintage Lotion Vegetale of LHB and using that from a spray atomizer into which I transferred it, caused me to fall in love. The Lotion Vegetale was considerably lighter so I think it helped introduce me a bit more slowly. Now, LHB is one of my favorites.

And, it smells nothing like Mitsy to me at all now. I think my nose just changed over time. My sensitivities have adjusted and what I liked in the beginning I no longer enjoy and what I hated I often find I love.

I tried very hard to like Chanel No 5. It took me a long time, but now I love it.

I also tried to like Secretions Magnifique, that one, however, didn't fare as well! YUCK!

As a Basenoter Danieq, did you see the Monsieur Guerlain post re the original bee bottle samples that Guerlain assembled for the blogging creme de la creme?
10 years ago
I also have a few bottles that I love to sniff, but can't wear.
"Chanel No.5" is only one of them. I think I may have a problem with aldehydes.
Omni:

I smell Mitsouko in L'Heure bleue. To my nose and brain they share a thick, waxy quality, strongest i Mitsy, where it becomes almost rubber-like. On my skin, that is. Maybe this is the Guerlinade? I find no traces of thickness, wax or rubber in L'Instant and Idylle though. Isn't there Guerlinade in all of Guerlain's fragrances?
The one out of these I simply cannot wear is Mitsy. Big disappointment, because I love chypres and would very much like to wear the Icon.
Bibitry:
Omni:

I smell Mitsouko in L'Heure bleue. To my nose and brain they share a thick, waxy quality, strongest i Mitsy, where it becomes almost rubber-like. On my skin, that is. Maybe this is the Guerlinade? I find no traces of thickness, wax or rubber in L'Instant and Idylle though. Isn't there Guerlinade in all of Guerlain's fragrances?
The one out of these I simply cannot wear is Mitsy. Big disappointment, because I love chypres and would very much like to wear the Icon.

I wore Mitsouko last night. I am leaving shortly to watch my granddaughter play netball. I'll wear LHB for an outing in the fresh air and see how I'm getting on with it. Fresh air can change our perceptions, helping us get to the heart notes. Who goes beach walking wearing big classic fumes?
10 years ago
Well, I wear "big" perfumes to walk the dog, as does Mr Triffid. The dog sniffs the telegraph poles and we humans sniff our perfume cloud (also keeps our noses distracted from the contents of the loaded doggy doo bag we're carrying).
We're a toxic couple in enclosed spaces but add a stiff breeze and a street-length personal space and we're good to go!
My Tea Rose has arrived so I might try layering it with the Aromatics Elixir tonight. I suspect it will end up smelling like JHAG Vengeance Extreme.
Notify about new comments
1 - 25 by 30
Jump to