Search Forum

Welcome to Parfumo Research!

26 - 48 by 48
The 30,000 milestone and beyond 11 years ago
I just cannot contain myself, I am so excited! The numbers are getting close - as of this writing, there are now 29,905 perfumes in the Databank of 2686 brands.

Truly a community effort. It was so easy to just fill in the blanks in the Form that is provided.

Then, like with a stream, floodgates are set - the System shuts off the input, if 10 are already in the works.

(I have a whole array of input drafted, to be released periodically.)

The next round would be to start writing reviews about those that have been submitted.
I suppose that some members have put in scents that only they had in their own wardrobe.
It is always nice to see an old and obscure perfume, a long lost fragrance, now discontinued.

There must be other markets, not tapped yet, like the Australian fragrances.
Google search might put some light on that.
30,000 11 years ago
10 years ago
How long after i reach the limit of 10 proposals, I can add new ones?
Danke!
10 years ago
WolfM:
Danke!

Until one of these proposals is taken up into the catalog, then you can add again until it's 10 proposals again and so on.
10 years ago
Franfan20:
WolfM:
Danke!

Until one of these proposals is taken up into the catalog, then you can add again until it's 10 proposals again and so on.

With setting "floodgates" at the limit of 10 proposals, I suppose you avoid a "tsunami" of proposals. I have lots of them already drafted, to be released periodically, when my 10 current ones are accepted.

Certain manufacturers make a large array of perfumes and they can be "milked" until their whole inventory is exhausted.

To build up the Databank, one proposal is as good as the other, although old and obscure perfumes are more interesting and it makes more work to dig them up.

My goal is to make the presence of Parfumo.net lift in the Google Search for outside eyes, and a full Databank is a magnet to attract new members.
10 years ago
I guess this is kind of off topic, but I just wanted to express that I'm really thrilled about all the features here, and I love that it's done in a Wiki style. One thing I might add though is for me personally, I'm having a hard time transitioning from a couple features on Fragrantica which I feel are, IMHO, sort of crucial to the experience on a site like this. Being able to add the picture and name of a fragrance into your posts as well as being able to vote visually on the prominence of olfactory notes on the individual perfume pages have made it exponentially easier to both learn about fragrances and share my experiences. I'm a highly visual person, and so I really need those visual representations to guide me. I feel that if Parfumo had these features, there's really nothing else I would change, as all the other features are amazing!
10 years ago
Smile We are both off-topic, but I think that at least the visual concept of Parfumo is very different from the Gypsy camp, to which resembles fragrantica ... with this whole nightmare of colored icons and elements impossible as a combination, existing somehow as if in nowhere... hanging in there, everywhere, and yelling "look at me, look at me" Smile
Last edited by WolfM on 15.10.2013, 20:51; edited 1 time in total
10 years ago
CuteChemist:
I'm having a hard time transitioning ... features on Fragrantica which I feel are, IMHO, sort of crucial ... being able to vote visually on the prominence of olfactory notes

+1 I miss that too. Doesn't even have to be pictures of the notes, but a bar chart would be great.
10 years ago
Well, let's see what the future has in store!
10 years ago
What is the process for adding images of perfumes to the database? The ones to the left of the perfume name, that is. Is it an issue of copyright to use images from online store-fronts or are we allowed to do so via fair use? If so, an input for image upload during perfume research would be great.
I assume international fair use and copyright considerations are probably a real minefield.
10 years ago
Pipette:
Franfan20:
WolfM:
Danke!

With setting "floodgates" at the limit of 10 proposals, I suppose you avoid a "tsunami" of proposals. I have lots of them already drafted, to be released periodically, when my 10 current ones are accepted.

Certain manufacturers make a large array of perfumes and they can be "milked" until their whole inventory is exhausted.

It would be nice if after a series of approved additions the limit of 10 proposals extended to 20, and then to 30 and so on. I personally have a word doco I keep my perfume research in so that I can process them in lots of ten.
Some kind of form for adding multiple new scents attributed to one perfume house would also be a huge time saver, especially when adding a house not already in the database. It would require more thorough checking by others before being approved but the number of separate pages to process would be cut down.
10 years ago
Scarletting:
What is the process for adding images of perfumes to the database?

You can either submit the photo with the proposal (there is an upload button when you put in a source) or you can simply e-mail them to [email protected]

>- Images on white background (as less shadows as possible, no water signs, best quality available)

>- The images are added by the admin only, so please be patient. The images of new proposals - especially new releases - are usually added right away (but it takes time).
If you plan on writing an email, please collect all the images you'd like to submit first and give the source, so the inbox is not full of emails containing only one pic each.

I forgot to mention that it could be possible that an image is rejected without further notification for multiple reasons.
Last edited by Franfan20 on 03.11.2013, 11:11; edited 1 time in total
10 years ago
Scarletting:
Some kind of form for adding multiple new scents attributed to one perfume house would also be a huge time saver, especially when adding a house not already in the database.

If this could be made possible technically it would be an improvement yes. But then again, it must be distinguished between gender, years, availability and so on. No idea how this could made possible in one formula.
Scarletting:
It would require more thorough checking by others before being approved but the number of separate pages to process would be cut down.

Well that's true. The more people help, the less work is on the shoulders of a few people. As you probably can see the queue is always quite stocked, but thankfully the pre-research days are over. Back then, multiple proposals have been stuck for months, at least we can now add proposals in a relatively short time.
Yet, everybody needs a rest sometime Wink
10 years ago
Franfan20:
Scarletting:
What is the process for adding images of perfumes to the database?

You can either submit the photo with the proposal (there is an upload button when you put in a source) or you can simply e-mail them to [email protected]

Very helpful, thanks Franfan. Can't believe I kept overlooking that!
10 years ago
How do I propose a revision/correction?
10 years ago
Madkat:

Wolf provided a concise 'how-to'. Hope it helps. Very Happy
www.parfumo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=24311#24 311
10 years ago
Thanks!! I was looking all over for it in the research section.
10 years ago
MiaVonTrost:
Madkat:

Wolf provided a concise 'how-to'. Hope it helps. Very Happy
www.parfumo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=24311#24 311

Ha, I haven't seen Wolf's Howto, so I just made one as well Smile

www.parfumo.com/Users/Apicius/Blog/Article/How _to_propose_a_revisioncorrection_in_Parfumo_Re search
10 years ago
is there anyway to update a source once you have added it? I just noticed I had a typo in the comment part and couldn't see any way to edit it, or to delete it so I could just add it again.

p.s. those new stickies on adding & revising are great!
10 years ago
Madkat:
is there anyway to update a source once you have added it? I just noticed I had a typo in the comment part and couldn't see any way to edit it, or to delete it so I could just add it again.

p.s. those new stickies on adding & revising are great!

In such a case, please leave a note in the discussion tab of the proposal!
Today could be the day to reach 40,000 10 years ago
At the last glimpse of the status of PARFUMO RESEARCH it seems that there are only 60 submissions to put, to reach the next milestone of

40,000 perfumes in the Database.

See this link, as of now -

www.parfumo.com/fdb.php

(lately I have been too busy to contribute, but it looks real nice)
10 years ago
I would suggest making a thread dedicated to mentioning "Parfumo has reached 40,000 perfumes" or something similar? as I was searching via google the other day for 'fragrance database' and we were 6th in the results with this post: www.parfumo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647
And of course we have come a long way from there. Smile

It boggles my mind how deftly we add perfumes for both the international and German sides of Parfumo! It makes me wish more and more that I had actually learned German by osmosis when I was growing up; I had relatives that moved to Australia from Germany, and the older they were, the less likely they were to indulge a young niece by speaking in English! Laughing
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Research Welcome to Parfumo Research!
26 - 48 by 48
Jump to