Search Forum

Frags for tropical climates?

Frags for tropical climates? 10 years ago
I spend every summer in tropical countries and I need a frag that won't be too overpowering. Could you suggest a few long-lasting ones which would work in warm, humid weather? I'm especially interested in looking for one which is a daytime version of Lancome Tresor Midnight Rose.

Thanks!
10 years ago
Hi Jbells,
My personal favourites for hot, steamy days are usually on the dry, and non-sweet side and often contain elements of citrus, vetiver, leather and clear florals so my style may not be to your taste.
Reviews suggest that Tresor Midnight Rose is quite sweet with strong berry notes and I also see that you have a few rose fragrances in your collection.
With that in mind, two designer scents that might work for you are "Paul Smith Rose" and Bvlgari "Rose Essentielle". The latter is a pretty rose with a blackberry note and although it leans a bit "girly" for my taste, it's a versatile scent that works in hot weather and is one of the few fragrances I have received compliments on (at yoga class, of all places).
Two niche scents that come to mind:
Andy Tauer's "No. 10 - Une Rose Vermeille" - a fruity (orange) rose, very long lasting. It didn't work for me but has many fans and might appeal to you.
Serge Lutens "Nuit de Cellophane" is a long-lasting fruity floral that has a clean, shampoo-like vibe. It is quite a fun fragrance that is not too heavy for hot weather. It smells more designer than niche but can be found at online discounters.
Lastly, you could also check out the link (below) that has summer suggestions from Parfumo members, particularly citrus/floral combinations.

www.parfumo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1076
10 years ago
Thanks Triffid! I'll be sure to check out your suggestions, except for Rose Essentielle, which I have a decant of and love! My only problem with it is that it lasts only a little more than an hour on me.

I know a lot of people go for so-called "green" scents during hot weather, and I've tried to do the same, but I don't quite fancy them too much.
10 years ago
jbells,
Have you ever tried "Very Irresistible Givenchy"? I think it's in the same realm as Midnight Rose. A fresh, slightly fruity floral, very smooth.

My cousin wears it year round and she always smells good. A little goes a long way, especially in warm weather.
10 years ago
Dulcemio:
jbells,
Have you ever tried "Very Irresistible Givenchy"? I think it's in the same realm as Midnight Rose. A fresh, slightly fruity floral, very smooth.

My cousin wears it year round and she always smells good. A little goes a long way, especially in warm weather.

Yes I have! I agree that it's lovely Smile But when I tried it during winter, it didn't last on me. Perhaps I should give it another go.
10 years ago
It's worth a try. I am constantly "rediscovering" fragrances I thought I knew after the temperatures rise dramatically. Some notes become more prominent, and longevity and sillage often increase.

Another one I thought of for you to try is "L'Inspiratrice". A smooth, luscious floral, slightly fruity, with a beautiful rose. The opening is complex with noticeable patchouli, but after the drydown it becomes very soothing and light, and lasts all day long.
10 years ago
Now I absolutely MUST try "L'Inspiratrice" ! It sounds great! Thanks for the rec Very Happy
10 years ago
I like Kelly Caleche EDT but it does have to be reapplied as it tracks similarly to Rose Essentialle for staying power, which I also have. Having said that you trade the tobacco/tea of Rose Essy for a soft suede handshake in Kelly, and I gave the ciggies away thirty years ago, so I go with Kells
10 years ago
I'll look into that, thanks! I always find it a little disappointing when I find a frag I love but refuses to last.
10 years ago
Jbells:
I'll look into that, thanks! I always find it a little disappointing when I find a frag I love but refuses to last.

Yes, this is an eternal dilemma, isn't it? Well, I decided a while back that it's so rare to find something I adore that I will gladly forgive some inadequate longevity, and just decant some of said fragrances into 5ml or 10ml glass atomizsers and throw them in my purse. The fun part is experiencing the development multiple times throughout the day. Ahhh, the things we do for love. Very Happy
10 years ago
Dulcemio:
Jbells:

Yes, this is an eternal dilemma, isn't it? Well, I decided a while back that it's so rare to find something I adore that I will gladly forgive some inadequate longevity, and just decant some of said fragrances into 5ml or 10ml glass atomizsers and throw them in my purse. The fun part is experiencing the development multiple times throughout the day. Ahhh, the things we do for love. Very Happy

I need to be a little more industrious and actually make use of my atomizers haha. But then again, I don't feel comfortable spraying in front of everyone, and I quite dislike having to find somewhere a little more secluded to top up, so to speak. I feel like this could be yet another incredibly silly first world problem Laughing
10 years ago
Laughing LOL!

Yes, it is, I'm afraid. Isn't pretty much any perfume related complaint anyone ever has a first world problem? Laughing

You will eventually find something that meets all your criteria. For me, the exploring is half of the fun.
10 years ago
I hope so! Until then, it's try and try again!
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfume Recommendations Frags for tropical climates?
Jump to