Search Forum

Is Guerlain discontinuing Shalimar Initial?

Is Guerlain discontinuing Shalimar Initial? 10 years ago
Hello everyone,

I just read on another forum that Guerlain might be discontinuing one of my favorite fragrances of all time, "Shalimar Parfum Initial". I am really hoping this is not true. Does anyone here know if they are really discontinuing this? This is very tragic, since there is no other perfume out there like this one. I love the original "Shalimar" but sometimes it's just heavy for me to wear, and on those days "Shalimar Initial" is perfect. *sigh* I really hope this isn't true!
10 years ago
Without any reliable information, why not ask Guerlain themselves?
10 years ago
Maybe this is the explanation for the backorder list I was put on by Neiman Marcus . I had to wait three weeks to receive the notice that Shalimar Initial was shipped and meanwhile I received a notice that the perfume may not be available and if I wanted to wait....
I waited and got it. Now I think it could be discontinued.
10 years ago
MiaTrost:
Without any reliable information, why not ask Guerlain themselves?

I cannot find anything on their site regarding this either. This is just what I have heard from a few customers. Sad
10 years ago
Tessa:
Maybe this is the explanation for the backorder list I was put on by Neiman Marcus . I had to wait three weeks to receive the notice that Shalimar Initial was shipped and meanwhile I received a notice that the perfume may not be available and if I wanted to wait....
I waited and got it. Now I think it could be discontinued.

This is so sad. Sad It truly is one of my favorites. I wonder if they are discontinuing Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Eau also. I imagine so, since it's a flanker. They recently had a deal on this one at Fragrancenet where you could buy a 2 ounce bottle for $26. Of course, I snagged a bottle up but now I am wondering if I should have gotten more than one bottle.
10 years ago
Please let this not be true, I still haven't gotten around to buying my FB and I don't want to eBay hunt for it Sad I have grown to love SPI.
10 years ago
Sweetgrass:
Please let this not be true, I still haven't gotten around to buying my FB and I don't want to eBay hunt for it Sad I have grown to love SPI.

Many people on Basenotes and Fragrantica are saying that it is indeed being discontinued. Their source for this information is some "Monsieur Guerlain" who posts regarding Guerlain perfumes on Facebook. I do not use Facebook, nor do I know who this "Monsieur Guerlain" is. I am doubtful that he is actually a member of the Guerlain family, and am assuming that he's some sort of a perfume blogger, although I am uncertain and my apologies if I am incorrect. Anyways, I couldn't find any information from Guerlain's site directly, and they won't answer my emails.
10 years ago
Monsieur Guerlain is a fantastic source for Guerlain information (he revealed some discontinuations earlier this year, including Sous le Vent and Vega), so if you hear it from him, it's most likely true. He gets information about new Guerlain launches and discontinuations first, and he's been very reliable in the past.

It's worth mentioning that there's a new flanker, "Shalimar Souffle de Parfum". Possibly to replace Parfum Initial?

EDIT (sorry about this): Monsieur Guerlain sort of confirmed it a few weeks ago on his fb page.
10 years ago
Oh dear. I respect Shalimar but I don't like it, and actually I adore Shalimar Parfum Initial. Personally I think that Thierry Wasser made a beautiful,clever,and very well considered job of it. What a shame if sales have not beed goood.

There doesn't seem to be any firm news about Shalimar Parfum Initial though? The L'Eau seems to be going and there are concerns about SPI? If I am understanding it correctly. Let's keep our ears/eyes open (and get a back up now!)
10 years ago
There's still no official word, which is extremely frustrating, but the depleting stock would suggest that it is on its way out.

Still, there seems to be some really good discounts on bottles at the moment, at least in the UK. As always, check the internet before coughing up for full price! At the time of writing, you can get a 60ml bottle online for less than the price of a full-price in the UK.
10 years ago
I got a backup of Shalimar Initial Si Sensuelle. The price for it is extremely reasonable online, so reasonable in fact, that I am tempted to stock up even more! An amazing bargain. The Souflee flanker looks interesting, but I really like Shalimar Initial and its flankers. It's one of my top 5 favorite perfumes (and if you look at my collection, I have a lot of perfumes).
9 years ago
A final warning if you don't already have this - the last batches have apparently left the factory. Might be worth looking into now while it's still available. monsieurguerlain.tumblr.com/post/104999830468/ time-to-stock-up-guerlain-informs-us-that
It's official 9 years ago
Shalimar Initial and all of it's flakers will be off the shelves soon.
9 years ago
It is important to note that Guerlain is famous for discontinuing fragrances in some countries while still making it available in the Parisian boutiques. Most non-Parisian Guerlain boutiques can order it for you but the other question is will they? In the USA, Las Vegas was good about doing that and the Toronto Canada boutique would.
8 years ago
If anyone has details on what the 'last' batch code reference number is, it would be appreciated. (Month/Year).

I have a bottle ref: 4r01 (April 2014).. I would like to know if there have been any batches manufactured early 2015.
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands Is Guerlain discontinuing Shalimar Initial?
Jump to