Search Forum

Mystery Guerlain: please help identify

Mystery Guerlain: please help identify 10 years ago
Hi all. Earlier this evening I had a very pleasant chat with the Guerlain sales person at the department store. Many fragrances (mostly classics) were sprayed on paper and we discussed them. Great.

But for 1 important paper strip I forgot which one was sprayed! This problem may be familiar to you Embarassed On this strip there was a female classic perfume sprayed that was a very pleasant surprise to me but now I r e a l l y want to know which perfume it is.

It smells like:
opening: purple-ish/blue-ish florals that are somewhat fresh in the beginning
heart: ??? I didn't pay attention
base: a cherry smell + smoothed + a bit vanillic.

Clues:
- it may be "L'Heure Bleue"
- it may be "Vol de Nuit"
- it may be "Après L'Ondée" (probably not)
- it's not an exclusive, but it is an oldie

Can you help me identify this perfume?
- - - - - -
Update 27 October :
The mystery scent was indeed: "L'Heure Bleue" by Guerlain (EDP)
But it seems on my skin it smells more like a flowers + amber mix and it didn't impress me as much as the paper strip.
Thanks for all you help!
- - - - - -
Last edited by Sleuth on 27.10.2014, 18:53; edited 2 times in total
10 years ago
Meteorites was heavy on the violet. Seems to fit the description but so many can it is a puzzle
10 years ago
Could it be "L'Instant Magic"? (so that it wasn't a classic?)

@Omni: thanks but we didn't discuss Meteorites and didn't spray it on paper.
10 years ago
Maybe it was one of the Insolence flankers? They have a distinct violet note to them.
10 years ago
Thanks for helping Smile But it wasn't insolence, the sales person didn't touch it. Are you familiar with L'Instant Magic? Could that be it? I'm also thinking it could be L'Heure Bleue EDP. (Though not the EDT, I tested that again and it's not smooth&sweet enough)
10 years ago
Sleuth:
Could it be "L'Instant Magic"? (so that it wasn't a classic?)

@Omni: thanks but we didn't discuss Meteorites and didn't spray it on paper.

Could it have been Chamade? Classically beautiful
10 years ago
Hi Omni. Thanks, but no it's not Chamade. I have Chamade also on a paper strip and I can easily identify it. It's a very different smell. But what I'm looking for is a dry down with a mix of: a cherry-like note + smoothness + vanilla (and those 3 notes are blended together, it seems)

That's why I'm still wondering if it could be:
- "L'Heure Bleue" EDP ??
- "Vol de Nuit" ??
- "L'Instant Magic" ??
- "Après L'Ondée" ??
10 years ago
I think it could very well be L'Heure Bleue. I only have the EDT, but it already comes close to your description, IMO.
Après L'Ondee seems somewhat fresher to me (the vanilla is less present), so maybe not the one you are looking for, though the drydown, I think, could be as you described. I do not have it here (I'm still in the middle of a move), so I cannot test it for you right now..., sorry.
As for Vol de Nuit, this is such a different category: it has galbanum AND aldehydes as dominant notes, I cannot imagine this could be it.

I suggest you go back to the Guerlain counter, good luck!
Smile
10 years ago
I guess I'm a bit of a killjoy when it comes to L'Heure Bleu. Try as I may I cannot make it work for me during its active phase. I have to confess that many a time I have thought that the afterglow of L'Heure Bleu is incredibly sexy as a faded glory but not worth the effort of getting there.
10 years ago
No I appreciate your comment. Why is the effort not worth it, you don't like the middle?
10 years ago
Sleuth:
No I appreciate your comment. Why is the effort not worth it, you don't like the middle?

Yes, that's it, the middle is fusty on me and I'm old enough to remember when some perfumes were great. I tested my (modern) bottle of L'Heure Bleu with your search in mind, Sleuth, and came to the conclusion that I agreed with LT and TS
www.nstperfume.com/2011/11/10/the-little-book- of-perfumes-q-a-with-luca-turin-tania-sanchez- part-2/
But, I still wear Mitsouko, (see Bois de Jasmin's reviews of vintage and modern)
All is not lost. I'm watching to see you find your muse.
Smile
10 years ago
thanks Smile
10 years ago
Wait a minute Omni Smile So LT en TS say L'Heure Bleue is dead. But what is more interesting to me is why you dislike the middle of the fragrance, can you elaborate a bit more?
10 years ago
Sleuth:
Wait a minute Omni Smile So LT en TS say L'Heure Bleue is dead. But what is more interesting to me is why you dislike the middle of the fragrance, can you elaborate a bit more?

It's the doughy smell I think or the closet smell of old fur coats ( I had a member of my extended family who offered me her full length mink coat. Her Father was a wealthy timber, forestry owner and it had been her 21st birthday gift) I couldn't have worn it)
I do wear L'Heure Bleu on occasion, when the mood strikes. Apres L'Ondee smells of an old Arts and Crafts house to me, of beeswax and hawthorn, the Narnia house. I love it, and its dry down which is soft, like scented goosedown.
9 years ago
Conclusion:

But it seems on my skin it smells more like a flowers + amber mix and it didn't impress me as much as the paper strip.

Thanks for all you help!
9 years ago
Sleuth:
Conclusion:

Thanks for all you help!

Yes, I can see how beguiling the paper strip must have been. But the mysteries must go on, Sleuth, find another!
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfume Discussions Mystery Guerlain: please help identify
Jump to