Search Forum

Which masculine scents can be worn by a woman?

76 - 100 by 113
11 years ago
I have been wearing this for a while now and have even had some other women asking what it is. I never have the confidence to tell them though as I feel I would be judged for wearing a mans aftershave.

Its a difficult one because if I found out a man was wearing perfume I would think it was werid. So hypicrical I know...
11 years ago
Greetings!

Two men's colognes that haven't been listed here that I've found I can wear are: vintage Tabac (extreme) cologne and vintage Old Spice Fresh Lime after shave. A liberal splash is never too much. The Fresh Lime really doesn't last long enough and it doesn't project far even freshly applied so it might be perfect for timid ladies just venturing into the men's scents. Though, of course, both of these scents are discontinued they can be found on eBay periodically. The regular Tabac cologne is always readily available on eBay though I cant comment on it as I haven't tried it...yet.

Another cologne not mentioned is Viva Patchouli...this is a dirty scent and it isn't for everyone. Actually if I hadn't acquired a likening for it, if I met a man on the street wearing this stuff I'd kind of gag Wink The scent isn't so much a strong 1970's patchouli (which I instantly love) but, a light patchouli cut with ahem...pee. Ok...I "scents" you've heard enough about that!!

Regards Very Happy
11 years ago
I need to add 2 more that I love:
1. Fahrenheit- classic( Yes, I did!). When You want to announce a hostile company takeover and You're the woman taking over.

2. Mechant Loup by L'Artisan- Sexy hazelnuts & honey
11 years ago
Coutureguru:
Guusje:
To me male/female is only marketing.
Wear what you want I my motto

I want a bottle of "Carthusia Uomo" Cool

I'm with Guusje on this one. Why bow down to manipulative marketing? If it smells good on you wear it! I've been wearing the hell out of Michael Kors by Michael Kors lately ... everyone I come into contact with loves it.

In honor of my two favorite comments on this thread, which I have quoted above, I will note that DKNY "DK Men" has a proud place in my collection. I think it smells lovely on me.
11 years ago
Today I was wearing Basile uomo by Basile and I liked it very much. I think women can wear men's colognes very well in most cases. I like them for business and outdoors or for when things have to get done. So, in a certain sense they seem to underline masculine qualities, but you can also say that about certain feminine chypres; and I don't think it's running away from the own gender identity, it might just enforce an aspect of our own personality.

I also have Aramis and the last time I noticed a bit of sweet in the heart notes, it seemed to be nearly better wearable than Cabochard. However there are some I don't like on myself, the fougère type maybe?
11 years ago
I enjoy wearing "spicebomb" and love it when hubby wears my "obsession" I also use a man's oud for layering under other fragrances.
Crossover 11 years ago
Dior Homme, Eau Savage and Iris Bleu Gris by MPG easy peasy. Terre D'Hermes is often stolen. Have worn Pi when husband tired of it and Rochas Man.
10 years ago
Lots! Givenchy Pi, Joop! Homme, Blue Sugar, Spicebomb, Hanae Mori HiM
10 years ago
Adding Fendi "Life Essence" and Insense.
10 years ago
Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit Homme
Guerlain Habit Rouge
Givenchy Pi
Lalique Encre Noire
Dior Homme Intense
Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme
Caron Pour Homme
Rochas Man
Prada Infusion d'Homme
Bijan Nude Man
Dior Cologne 2013
9 years ago
Can a woman wear "Scorpio Rouge"?
9 years ago
I enjoy wearing many male perfumes:

Annick Goutal - Sables, is one of my fav's, as well as
Montale - Black Aoud

Fendi - Uomo
Dior - Homme + Homme Intense
YSL - M7
Histoires de Parfums - 1740 Marquis de Sade
Parfums de Nicolaï - New York
Parfums de Nicolaï - Amber Oud
Acqua di Parma - Oud Concentrée
Frapin - L'Humaniste

The list goes on and on...
9 years ago
Esoada:
Can a woman wear "Scorpio Rouge"?

I don't know it but it seems to have citrus, woods and spices. I think, in general, women can wear 70% of the male fragrances and vice versa. Citrus, wood and spices are all neutral ingredients. What makes 'masculine' fragrances 'for men' is most often the absence of flowers and sweetness, so that's probably what you should expect.
9 years ago
I much prefer "Spicebomb" over "Flowerbomb". Givenchy "Pi" is another. Elizabeth Taylor's "Passion for Men" has a different flavor that appeals to me rather than her "Passion" marketed for women. I'm not a floral person and never have been. I run the other way if a perfume is full of floral notes...
to me there are too many to list... 9 years ago
But currently I have just added Ormande Jayne "Concerto" to my wish list.
9 years ago
I have added Lalique's Hommage a l'Homme to mine
9 years ago
"John Varvatos Oud"
"The odd-fellows bouquet" by Atkinson´s
9 years ago
I see that the advertising for Armani's Cuir Amethyste is geared to men. I've been wearing it for years and loving' that birch tar
9 years ago
Personally, I like "Midnight in Paris (Eau de Toilette)", "Dirty English", "Timbuktu", "A*Men Pure Havane", and "Avant Garde". I don't think they smell manly on me at all.
9 years ago
Sherapop:
My understanding is that the question relates to the marketing of the perfumes. So, for example, today I am wearing Caron "Le 3eme Homme" ("The Third Man"), keyword: homme. Clearly this fragrance is intended for men, but women can and do wear it.

I am probably the only woman who owns and wears Juicy Couture "Dirty English", which I purchased in the men's fragrance section of a store after having tested it. For some reason it does not smell "dirty" on or to me!

Cool

Nope. I wear it too. Smile I even got several compliments from men who didn't realize it was a male fragrance.
9 years ago
AromiErotici:
Niche releases marketed to men are probably the easier wear for a woman, but as difficult as some of the classic masculines would be to pull off, there are a few off the top of my head that would smell interesting on the female persuasion.

Ungaro II and MCM Twenty Four Evening feature a prominent civet note. I think women could wear both of these.

Man! I saw the title of this topic, and the first fragrance that lit up inside my head was Ungaro II with its sensual creamy texture. Oh, how delicious that would be on the right woman. (I would say "great minds think alike", but I know better than claiming to be half as great a fragrance mind as AromiEritici. Chapeau, monsieur. )

I share Apicius' position that there probably are more masculines that women can successfully carry than those they cannot. And even with those masculines that are unlikely to suit a woman, there are alternatives that are more or less similar, which are suitable for women. So, let me try and push the envelope a little bit here with some "powerhouse" masculines. For example, one masculine that I love, but I can hardly envision on a woman is Quorum; (well maybe Principal Agatha Trunchbull from the movie Matilda is an exception). However, I can imagine women successfully pulling off Sung Homme, which I find to share several characteristics with Quorum. A counter example would be Pierre Cardin pour Monsieur, which I find to share certain aspects with Ungaro II; (front-and-center citruses, and most importantly an inky carnation) . While Ungaro II would be exquisite on a woman, P.Cardin PM on a woman would confuse me to no end. Two other such pairs I would like to mention are Cartier Pasha (OK for women, I would say) vs. VC&A Tsar (not OK, in my opinion), and Rochas Globe (OK) vs. Paco R. Tenere (not quite OK). One common thread I observe in these examples is that the ones I do not find very suitable for women make use of one or more notes in some aggressive way, while their suitable counterparts round off those notes by making use of some counterbalancing aspects. For example, pine and moss in Quorum, orange and carnation in PC PM, patchouli and artemisia in Tenere, and fresh spicy (coriander, etc.) and green notes in Tsar are used aggressively, (pushing the limits, if you will). Whereas, their counterparts in Sung Homme (soapy floral notes), Ungaro II (vanilla, creamy floral notes and civet), Globe (fresh/sweet/spicy floral notes) and Pasha (a more pronounced sandalwood aspect) are smoothed out and rounded off effectively with balancing aspects.

As I wrote this post, I realized that while I enjoy Sung Homme, Ungaro II, Pasha and Globe quite a bit, I like Quorum, PC PM, Tsar and Tenere better, respectively, and prefer them for my own use. Interesting. I guess I will reflect a little more on this.
9 years ago
Desire by Dunhill!
9 years ago
One common thread I observe in these examples is that the ones I do not find very suitable for women make use of one or more notes in some aggressive way, while their suitable counterparts round off those notes by making use of some counterbalancing aspects. For example, pine and moss in Quorum, orange and carnation in PC PM, patchouli and artemisia in Tenere, and fresh spicy (coriander, etc.) and green notes in Tsar are used aggressively, (pushing the limits, if you will). Whereas, their counterparts in Sung Homme (soapy floral notes), Ungaro II (vanilla, creamy floral notes and civet), Globe (fresh/sweet/spicy floral notes) and Pasha (a more pronounced sandalwood aspect) are smoothed out and rounded off effectively with balancing aspects.
I think you have made an excellent point and put words to something I have been trying to pick apart and understand for some time. You have definitely given me something to think on. Thanks!
9 years ago
ETERNITY
Dior Homme
Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit Homme
Blue Sugar
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands Which masculine scents can be worn by a woman?
76 - 100 by 113
Jump to