Search Forum

phthalate-free brands?

phthalate-free brands? 9 years ago
I've googled a little, but can't find a comprehensive list anywhere. Particularly wondering if any mainstream brands are phthalate-free.

Looking for more info.

Here are a few brands I've never heard of:
www.yahoo.com/beauty/7-amazing-all-natural-pht halate-free-perfumes-92849210984.html
9 years ago
I recognise Tsi-La as a ´natural´ brand, though I haven´t tried it. But I think you´re safe with those ´all natural´ brands. Also, some independent perfumers publish an "ECLIP" list, a nicely transparent list of ingredients. Phthalates are not mentioned but at least you´ll know that the perfumer gave the ingredients some thought.

Mainstream.. Difficult.. Sometimes I wonder about a similar issue, namely wether a perfume contains animal tested ingredients. I ask myself:
- Is the ingredient legal to use? (if not, new perfumes are safe, at the minimum)
- Do they hire perfumers from aromachemical companies? (IMO more likely to use new synthetic ingredients)

Anyone knows about phthalate-free perfumes specifically?
9 years ago
Sleuth, thank you, I appreciate the info!

My understanding is that phthalates are protected by the proprietary 'fragrance' designation within a list of ingredients, and so I suspect that if the extra effort has been taken to exclude them, it will be made known to consumers.

I often feel so overwhelmed by all the potential dangers, to humans and other animals, inherent in modern perfumery, that I'm right on the verge of putting all my perfume energy into acquiring natural oils and chucking the rest (or perhaps let them collect dust in a dark cupboard). Wink
9 years ago
In IFRA we trust (don't we?)

http://www.ifrana.org/issues-policy/safety/pht halates

For all we know, the very point for IFRA to exist is to protect big companies from being sued by consumers. If there was any evidence from scientific studies that the fixative in question (DEP) posed any risks to human health, they would have restricted it.

There is a much higher chance to get exposed to phthalates known to be harmful from cosmetics such as hair sprays or gels, nail polish, and even some skin lotions. Not to mention chemicals leaching from plastic packaging, doesn't matter if the stuff inside is natural and organic. It all comes down to personal choice, I guess. One more reason for me not to use any make-up Laughing
9 years ago
Epimedes:
In IFRA we trust (don't we?)

http://www.ifrana.org/issues-policy/safety/pht halates

For all we know, the very point for IFRA to exist is to protect big companies from being sued by consumers. If there was any evidence from scientific studies that the fixative in question (DEP) posed any risks to human health, they would have restricted it.
There is a much higher chance to get exposed to phthalates known to be harmful from cosmetics such as hair sprays or gels, nail polish, and even some skin lotions. Not to mention chemicals leaching from plastic packaging, doesn't matter if the stuff inside is natural and organic. It all comes down to personal choice, I guess. One more reason for me not to use any make-up Laughing

If only I had faith in that assumption. Like the FDA* (which supposedly exists to protect consumers, not companies), I'm sure IFRA's main concern is "will this kill anyone or make them seriously ill immediately?" Unfortunately, it's the long-term and cumulative effects of things that we should be most concerned with.

*which, of course, has a very spotty track record of predicting the long-term effect of approved substances.
6 years ago
Can't help with mainstream houses but I'd assume all-natural perfumers are very likely the more fruitful starting point, Dulce.

The following are no no-names and for example Annette Neuffer explicitly states that her products are free of phthalates. The review of her Avicenna Myrrha Mystica really piqued my interest in her line.
Hiram Green may be phthalate-free as well. His Moon Bloom and Shangri La are both excellent creations I like very much.
Worth to also check out are Aftelier and April Aromitics.

Smile
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfume Discussions phthalate-free brands?
Jump to