Search Forum

Which masculine scents can be worn by a woman?

51 - 75 by 113
12 years ago
Dlane1953:
American men have less leeway than women when it comes to fragrance choices--unless the male in question is openly gay, and then all bets are off because gay males have the leeway that straight men lack; they can wear what they please because they don't fit the stereotypes anyway.
Oh, I very much doubt that. Of course, gay men fit into stereotypes, and I can assure you, wearing a ladies' scent is not a good idea unless you want to go home alone!
12 years ago
It's true that I am far more familiar with women's perfumes than men's colognes, but I can think of a ton of the former which are readily detectable when worn (tattoo-like, I say). I was thinking of iconic women's fragrances. When women wear "Angel", "Amarige",
"Chanel No. 5," "Shalimar", "Samsara", "24Faubourg", "Fracas", "Poison", "Eternity", "Trésor"--okay, some of those are dated, but they all are pretty difficult to don without attracting attention to one's self.

I was thinking that the same is not the case for men's fragrances, but I must admit that when I was wearing "Le 3e Homme" this afternoon, I kept catching big wafts of myself while walking outside!

Laughing
Re: A matter of evasion 12 years ago
Apicius:
Sherapop:
Perhaps the problem is that women's perfumes tend to have bigger sillage? So it's much more obvious when a man wears a "feminine" fragrance than when a woman wears a "masculine" fragrance. Confused:
Sherapop, the thought with the silage is interesting.

The olfactory is not very far away from the gustatory sense. Let us look at how gender is treated in food and compare it to perfumery.

Usually, we are not aware that gender is reflected by food, but it is! Somehow, I have the impression that light, delicate, tender or sweet food is rather aimed at women - at least by the industry and their ad campaigns - whereas stronger, more robust food is aimed at men. For instance, there is a food magazine in Germany that targets an exclusively male audience, and its title is 'Beef'. - Chocolate for ladies is being advertised as very light, maybe filled with some yoghurt cream, whereas chocolate for men must not be too sweet at all: it has to be bitter and pitch dark (In Germany, we have such a product named “Herrenschokolade”!). And you have to admit – eating a cone of raspberry ice cream usually doesn't look very butch. Wink

Maybe you can say that sweet / light/ tender is considered to be feminine, and salty / strong / robust can be regarded as masculine.

Now – who wants sushi, light salads and sweets all day? I can easily drop the sweets for savory or salty food, but I would loose my appetite very soon if I'd had to eat nothing but sweets.

Back to perfumery: It is OK to wear a feminine white musk and vanilla scent (= yoghurt) as a dessert, but not all day. However – white musk is quite sticky and will not leave you so soon. It can be the same with amiable flowery fragrances that have some longevity but are of average quality. After having them around for some hours you desperately want a matie herring or a savoury pickled cucumber.

This is IMHO the main reason why men hardly wear ladies' fragrances – next to being afraid of cross-dressing. Many unisex and male fragrances suit the olfactory sense better in the long run than an average feminine floriental or a sweetish gourmand. I disagree with Greysolon: it is not that men have fewer fragrance options, and that cultural restraints prevent them to buy Chanel No.5 – they simply do not want to wear the feminine fragrances (including me). To create a really grand feminine fragrance that overcomes all these obstacles must be the highest level of perfumery, and we should look out for any of those exceptions.

But there is more to it: Overapplying a floral-fruity feminine scent it riskier than doing the same with a gent's perfume – people might comment on it as 'Nuttendiesel'. (I leave the translation to you) Women who overapply a ladies' scent are treated by far less respectful than men who do the same with their gent's cologne. Back to Sherapop's question: I think, feminine scents do not generally have more silage, but they might be more difficult to use.

Overapplying a feminine scent or wearing a strong ladies' fragrance, of course, can emphasize the wearers femininity – up to the point where, due to such 'vulgarity', some other women get annoyed and many men get afraid. We all know that after several decades of women's lib offensive, strong femininity is still not really accepted in most of our societies. (I always have to grin if I see a really handsome guy being accompanied by an ugly duckling who lacks make-up and perfume).

This has influences on the concept of lightness and / or softness in perfumes. As women have good reason to fear insults by wearing an offensive perfume, lightness and softness have become linked to ladies' fragrances as part of the concept of femininity. Nevertheless, it sometimes appears to me as an evasive movement similar to the evasion into unisex and masculine scents.

I want people to have a positive attitude towards their own gender, and I want them to express that by the perfumes they wear. This is why I want women to wear Vivienne Westwoods "Anglomania" rather than Martin Margielas "(untitled)". Of course, it is OK and necessary to have something discreet an unoffensive in the wardrobe as well. But I despise people like Serge Lutens who I suppose are very well aware of this context but still make their profit by creating olfactory burkas. They stand on the other side of the barricade. Wearing a certain kind of perfume does have political aspects.

So, women wearing gent's colognes – is that evasion from one's own femininity or just from overly sweet and soft perfumes?

There's certainly no dearth of mediocre women's fragrances. No argument there--especially since the advent of flanker madness and the multilaunches. But I think that there are many, many more female than male fragrance launches period. It certainly seems that way from advertisements. So the question is: is there a higher proportion of mediocre women's fragrances than mediocre men's fragrances? Or are you suggesting that it is easier somehow to produce a decent men's fragrance than it is to produce a decent women's fragrance?

Perhaps "Molecule 01" is an example?
Surprised
12 years ago
Sherapop, I think the really good fragrances are out of question here. And no, there are not more mediocre female than male scents, and there are horrible fragrances on both sides.

If I have the choice to share an office room with a colleague who wears an overly sweet peachy candy-like ladies' scent or one who wears an average boring ambery woody gent's scent without any specific character of its own, I might choose the male frag. This is a bit like a choice between plague and cholera Wink

My idea of a really grand ladies fragrance would include opulent florals, but balanced maybe by a tart vetiver/musk/sandalwood base note. Maybe some powdery orris as well. It might not be more difficult to produce such a perfume than a decent men's fragrance, but maybe, such a concept is a bit outdated at the moment.

I do not have a big overview on ladies' fragrances, but I very much like
perfumes like "Ma Griffe", "Ô de Lancôme", or Nina Riccis "L'air du temps" (vintage). They are widely regarded as outdated, and I do not see lots of engagement among the perfumers to invent new fragrances of that class. Considering economical necesseties, yes, such kind of perfumes would be difficult to create and place successfully at the market.
12 years ago
Apicius:
there are horrible fragrances on both sides.
My idea of a really grand ladies fragrance would include opulent florals, but balanced maybe by a tart vetiver/musk/sandalwood base note. Maybe some powdery orris as well. It might not be more difficult to produce such a perfume than a decent men's fragrance, but maybe, such a concept is a bit outdated at the moment.

I do not have a big overview on ladies' fragrances, but I very much like
perfumes like "Ma Griffe",

Oooh... I love "Ma Griffe"--Apicius, you obviously have excellent taste! Wink

How do you feel about "24, Faubourg"?

I agree that there are loads of bad frags on both sides of the aisle. Basically everything containing the word 'sport' is nauseating to me.
Laughing
12 years ago
Ma Griffe is beautiful! I do not know "24, Faubourg". There are probably many more great ladies fragrances, but it is OK for me not to know them.

I focus on those fragrances that I would perhaps wear, so I look at male and unisex scents.
12 years ago 1
I do not want to lead this thread completely astray. So, back to male fragrances that women can wear!

A traditional domain of masculine fragrances have been the Vetivers since they were invented in the 1950's. Personally, I see a lot of engagement to open this field for the ladies. I recently bought the Vetiver by Chantecaille, and its combination with musks to me smells very suitable for women - even though the overall impression of this Vetiver is quite spicy.

And for the very courageous: just take into account that civet notes have always been used in ladies fragrances (just think about Jicky!). There is one Vetiver that - although not listed - seems to contain a kind of civet note. It is the re-issued original 'Le Vétiver' by Carven (don't confuse it with their 'Vetiver'). I think, ladies could give it a try.
12 years ago 1
Sherapop:

Perhaps the problem is that women's perfumes tend to have bigger sillage? So it's much more obvious when a man wears a "feminine" fragrance than when a woman wears a "masculine" fragrance.

What do you think?
Confused:

I think I'm stepping into sensitive territory! Shocked
Thanks Diane1953, Apicius and Sherapop for breaking the ice for me.

I'm going to say something quite frankly and hope my limited writing skills are sufficient to make my opinions understood without offending anyone. Please accept my apologies in advance if I miss the mark...

While projection and sillage might have a role in answering the question it doesn't get to the core issue which is much deeper and more emotional.

When men express a perceived feminine quality it's often viewed as weakness and subject to ridicule and derision, if not outright hostility. Think of how often you see men mimic and ridicule effeminate qualities in other men. Also, as I said in my previous post, men have limited fashion choices based on uniforms and all the traditional social and moral roles that entails. Over the course of the 20th century that came to include fragrances, too. So if you're "out of uniform" fragrance-wise, especially in a way that's considered traditionally feminine, there will be people offended by your violation of the social contract.

However, we're much more tolerant of women expressing masculine qualities through fashion: shoulder pads, bomber jackets, Doc Marten boots... I really don't think anyone would care, even if they noticed, if a woman wears a masculine fragrance. It's that expression of the masculine in fragrance that's given us Jicky, Cuir de Russie and Sycamore.

So, once again, women are more evolved than us hairy, knuckle draggers. I'm giving my wife a bottle of Yatagan for Mother's Day Very Happy
12 years ago
Greysolon:
While projection and sillage might have a role in answering the question it doesn't get to the core issue which is much deeper and more emotional.

When men express a perceived feminine quality it's often viewed as weakness and subject to ridicule and derision, if not outright hostility. Think of how often you see men mimic and ridicule effeminate qualities in other men. Also, as I said in my previous post, men have limited fashion choices based on uniforms and all the traditional social and moral roles that entails. Over the course of the 20th century that came to include fragrances, too. So if you're "out of uniform" fragrance-wise, especially in a way that's considered traditionally feminine, there will be people offended by your violation of the social contract.

However, we're much more tolerant of women expressing masculine qualities through fashion: shoulder pads, bomber jackets, Doc Marten boots... I really don't think anyone would care, even if they noticed, if a woman wears a masculine fragrance. It's that expression of the masculine in fragrance that's given us Jicky, Cuir de Russie and Sycamore.

So, once again, women are more evolved than us hairy, knuckle draggers. I'm giving my wife a bottle of Yatagan for Mother's Day Very Happy

These are very interesting points. Yes, it's true, that guys are expected to live up to a certain "way of being". For example, "Big boys don't cry."

Of course, analogous codes are supposed to be followed by women as well. For example, "Women are to be seen, not heard." Maybe women can wear whatever they like, so long as they focus on their appearance and keep their mouths shut?
Rolling Eyes
12 years ago
Sherapop:

Of course, analogous codes are supposed to be followed by women as well. For example, "Women are to be seen, not heard." Maybe women can wear whatever they like, so long as they focus on their appearance and keep their mouths shut?
Rolling Eyes

Sad but true. The dichotomy of the situation was not lost on me as I was writing about the "oppression" of men.

Back to the real topic: I've always wondered about Halston Z-14 as a choice for women. It's one of the stereotypically big, old school masculine fragrances and somewhat similar to Tom Ford Tuscan Leather. Tuscan Leather is, BTW, labelled "unisex". The difference between the two is that Z-14 is actually lighter, has a more pronounced citrus top note and is generally a touch less aggressive throughout than Tuscan Leather.
12 years ago 1
We learn by association, so if we are brought up in a society where baby boys wear blue and baby girls pink then these colours automatically become associated with these genders.

In the same way, as been said before, that flowery scents = feminine, and aromatic herbals = masculine.

I also used to think this way before getting seriously into perfumes. Since expanding my "smell spectrum" however, it now ONLY functions along the lines or likes and dislikes, with every other nuances in between.

I own and regularly wear Chanel Antaeus, CdG 2 Man, or again Encre Noire PH to name a few, so yes, my answer to the original question is that all masculines can be worn by women.

This has only been reinforced by my recent (amused) discovery of the incredible popularity of a Drakkar Noir knockoff with the female population of Myanmar.

To go back to babies, here's a bit of Trivia:

Did you know that in the first half of the 20th C, pink was the preferred colour for boys and blue for girls?

To complicate things further, from the 13th C up until the 18th C, all children were called "girls", with "knave Girl" being male and "Gay Girl" being female... so yep, all this to say: forget the labels and just follow your nose.
Wink
Last edited by Dolby on 07.06.2012, 02:43; edited 1 time in total
12 years ago
I recently tried Armani Private Collection Men - inscence. I think it is good on man and on women. It's not a 'pretty, yummy' perfume, but it's an addictive perfume.
12 years ago
Dlane1953:
Elixer de Melveilles is a wonderful fougere fragrance that I think would be wonderful on most women in general. I have a sample and I think it's spectacular. Definately worth a try. (Do not confuse with Eau de Melveilles, they are very different frags.)

That's not a fougère - and it IS marketed to women. Could be tried by men as well!
Re: A matter of evasion 12 years ago 1
Apicius:
Sherapop:
Perhaps the problem is that women's perfumes tend to have bigger sillage? So it's much more obvious when a man wears a "feminine" fragrance than when a woman wears a "masculine" fragrance. Confused:
Sherapop, the thought with the silage is interesting.

The olfactory is not very far away from the gustatory sense. Let us look at how gender is treated in food and compare it to perfumery.

Usually, we are not aware that gender is reflected by food, but it is! Somehow, I have the impression that light, delicate, tender or sweet food is rather aimed at women - at least by the industry and their ad campaigns - whereas stronger, more robust food is aimed at men. For instance, there is a food magazine in Germany that targets an exclusively male audience, and its title is 'Beef'. - Chocolate for ladies is being advertised as very light, maybe filled with some yoghurt cream, whereas chocolate for men must not be too sweet at all: it has to be bitter and pitch dark (In Germany, we have such a product named “Herrenschokolade”!). And you have to admit – eating a cone of raspberry ice cream usually doesn't look very butch. Wink

Maybe you can say that sweet / light/ tender is considered to be feminine, and salty / strong / robust can be regarded as masculine.

Now – who wants sushi, light salads and sweets all day? I can easily drop the sweets for savory or salty food, but I would loose my appetite very soon if I'd had to eat nothing but sweets.

Back to perfumery: It is OK to wear a feminine white musk and vanilla scent (= yoghurt) as a dessert, but not all day. However – white musk is quite sticky and will not leave you so soon. It can be the same with amiable flowery fragrances that have some longevity but are of average quality. After having them around for some hours you desperately want a matie herring or a savoury pickled cucumber.

This is IMHO the main reason why men hardly wear ladies' fragrances – next to being afraid of cross-dressing. Many unisex and male fragrances suit the olfactory sense better in the long run than an average feminine floriental or a sweetish gourmand. I disagree with Greysolon: it is not that men have fewer fragrance options, and that cultural restraints prevent them to buy Chanel No.5 – they simply do not want to wear the feminine fragrances (including me). To create a really grand feminine fragrance that overcomes all these obstacles must be the highest level of perfumery, and we should look out for any of those exceptions.

But there is more to it: Overapplying a floral-fruity feminine scent it riskier than doing the same with a gent's perfume – people might comment on it as 'Nuttendiesel'. (I leave the translation to you) Women who overapply a ladies' scent are treated by far less respectful than men who do the same with their gent's cologne. Back to Sherapop's question: I think, feminine scents do not generally have more silage, but they might be more difficult to use.

Overapplying a feminine scent or wearing a strong ladies' fragrance, of course, can emphasize the wearers femininity – up to the point where, due to such 'vulgarity', some other women get annoyed and many men get afraid. We all know that after several decades of women's lib offensive, strong femininity is still not really accepted in most of our societies. (I always have to grin if I see a really handsome guy being accompanied by an ugly duckling who lacks make-up and perfume).

This has influences on the concept of lightness and / or softness in perfumes. As women have good reason to fear insults by wearing an offensive perfume, lightness and softness have become linked to ladies' fragrances as part of the concept of femininity. Nevertheless, it sometimes appears to me as an evasive movement similar to the evasion into unisex and masculine scents.

I want people to have a positive attitude towards their own gender, and I want them to express that by the perfumes they wear. This is why I want women to wear Vivienne Westwoods "Anglomania" rather than Martin Margielas "(untitled)". Of course, it is OK and necessary to have something discreet an unoffensive in the wardrobe as well. But I despise people like Serge Lutens who I suppose are very well aware of this context but still make their profit by creating olfactory burkas. They stand on the other side of the barricade. Wearing a certain kind of perfume does have political aspects.

So, women wearing gent's colognes – is that evasion from one's own femininity or just from overly sweet and soft perfumes?

I don't agree with you. I'm a woman and I don't want to eat sweets all day. I like sweets but I also love a bloody steak and beef carpaccio. I love bitter drinks like gin tonic and campari.

Women tend to want salat and that sort of crap because they are taught by media that they have to be very thin, while men don't.

I think men and women like the same food with a slight tendency that women eat lighter stuff (for the above mentioned reasons) and slightly more sweets.

And men overapplying le male are not treated any better than women wearing Nuttendiesel. Some cheap men's aftershaves heavily applied are able to clear complete train compartments.

When you say you want people to "have a positive attitude towards their own gender" and therefore women should wear Anglomania rather than untitled, you imply that the marketing departments are doing right by categorizing their scents and the society by defining what they expect females to smell like. Remember that female smell has changed a lot during the last 100 years. From bandit to Escada...
Nase, rather wearing "French Lover" than "Anglomania".
12 years ago 1
Guusje:
To me male/female is only marketing.
Wear what you want I my motto

I want a bottle of "Carthusia Uomo" Cool

I'm with Guusje on this one. Why bow down to manipulative marketing? If it smells good on you wear it! I've been wearing the hell out of Michael Kors by Michael Kors lately ... everyone I come into contact with loves it.
12 years ago
I recently realized that I prefer "Mauboussin Homme" to "Mauboussin".

The opening is a bit heavy on the lavender, but the drydown is divine!

Cool
12 years ago 1
I long ago dismissed the idea that certain notes/note combinations are more suited to men or women. Style is very personal and often does not fall conveniently into categories.

In light of that, I love wearing the "men's" fragrances I have:

Guerlain "Coriolan"
Lalique "Encre Noire"
Maître Parfumeur et Gantier "Santal Noble"
Maître Parfumeur et Gantier "Eau des Iles"
Oriflame "Architect"

I am also awaiting Maître Parfumeur et Gantier Parfum d'Habit
Re: A matter of evasion 12 years ago
DieNase:
And men overapplying le male are not treated any better than women wearing Nuttendiesel. Some cheap men's aftershaves heavily applied are able to clear complete train compartments.

So true - only it doesn't necessarily have to be a cheap frag. A heavy overdose even of a quality scent can be just as overpowering and nauseating.
12 years ago
I love Carolina Herrera for men the box with the polka dots,and sometimes get my husband's L'instant pour Homme by Guerlain.
11 years ago
I really enjoy these:
Midnight in Paris Van Cleef & Arpels for men

Very Irresistible for men Givenchy for men

Altamir Ted Lapidus for men

Rochas Man Rochas for men
11 years ago
I like Creed Chèvrefeuille.
11 years ago
Before the last few years I had never considered wearing men's fragrances, nor even unisex for that matter, because most are just too masculine for my taste. Until I learned that the world of masculine and unisex fragrances is so much bigger than I previously knew.

Two that I am most familiar with and wear are:

Serge Lutens CHERGUI
Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier AMBRE PRECIEUX

I would take these to a desert island with me (along with about 10 others!). Smile
11 years ago
I have worn "Halston Z-14" and "Halston 1-12" as well as "Bvlgari Black", "Tamboti Wood" by Susanne Lang, Ginestet "Le Boise" the original "Lagerfeld Classic" and enjoyed them all very much.
51 - 75 by 113
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands Which masculine scents can be worn by a woman?
Jump to