Search Forum

let's talk about Dior

let's talk about Dior 9 years ago
Let's use this thread to discuss any and all Dior subjects!

Overrated?
I'd like to start the discussion by asking you whether Dior fragrances are overrated or overpriced. I can think of two reasons why that is the case. Firstly, they reformulate/simplify their classics and still have the balls to sell it for prices like € 100. Example "Diorella", When I smelled the current version, I liked it but I smelled only two olfactory notes and no rich complexity. Secondly, they seem to heavily rely on new aromachemicals. To put it bluntly: they simply put a new chemical in a bottle, without making a real composition of notes like traditional perfumes. Example: "Higher"

What do you think about Dior? Please also mention your favourite Dior fragrance. (mine is "Diorissimo")
Last edited by Sleuth on 20.02.2015, 22:33; edited 7 times in total
9 years ago
Dior's Private Collections is one of the best I've smelled so far. I find the whole line breathtaking, except for one or two that didn't appeal to me. In comparison, I sniffed the Armani Private Collection at a counter and only fell in love with Pierre de Lune. Since counter sniffing isn't the ideal way to test a fragrance line, I might revisit them. I'm looking forward to my sniff of all Serge Lutens, but since I already own 3 or 4 of them I expect good results. But from Dior Private I got amazing results for all. Don't always like Dior's regular perfumes as well.
9 years ago
And what's your favourite Dior, ScentFan?
9 years ago
Sleuth:
And what's your favourite Dior, ScentFan?

On first pass, it was Oud Ispahan. Loving strong and distinctive unisex scents these days. But I found them truly amazing--a real cut above most perfumes. If everything else is merlot, they're an award-winning Chateauneuf du Pape. The two I didn't like were well done, but not my thing. Honestly, I want to go right out and buy them all. However, having gifted hubby his small but expensive wish list (he's not as insane as I am about perfume), I'm pretending I have to double check how splendid the private Diors are.

Okay, that's over. They're terrific. Updating my wish list.
9 years ago
My favorites are vintage "Diorella" and "Fahrenheit". Both of them didn't fare well in reformulations...and I don't have Fahrenheit anymore Crying or Very sad
I also like "Eau Sauvage Fraîcheur Cuir", a great variation on the classic theme, in my opinion.
9 years ago
Just posted reviews of my four Dior FB's -- Dior Addict, Hynoptic Poison, J'Adore, and Poison -- all blind buys. Possibly because of reformulation, I find they have a stuffy synthetic note I can't tolerate. Hypnotic Poison is the only one I can wear, but for me it's not a compelling fragrance. The Dior Private Collection surpasses them by leaps and bounds.
9 years ago
I like Dior, I really do. I only own three but would happily add others to my collection.
"Miss Dior Originale" is one of my favourite perfumes. I've never smelled the vintage so I am happy with the reformulation I own. Gorgeous floral chypre that lasts and lasts. "Dune" and "Pure Poison" were both gifts. If the mandarin/jasmine was pitched any higher it would be borderline screechy for me but as is, both are very likeable and easy to wear year round. Dune has incredible projection and tenacity and, remarkably, is only an EDT.
I love "Diorella" and "Eau Sauvage" and both are on my to-buy list. That's what I like most about the brand - the old chypres that are still available, albeit not as they once were.
Fahrenheit is a probable future purchase as well.
Haven't tried any of the private collection stuff yet, they're a bit late to the party really. I feel rather cynical about the concept of 'private' and 'exclusive' lines from designer houses; it all seems a bit pretentious and reeks of marketing spin. Are they just trying to get consumers to pay more for the sort of quality that used to be mainstream?
Regardless, I hear good things about Dior's take on the idea and thought Cuir Cannage (why do I always read that as 'Pure Carnage') might be worth sampling, though I doubt it will trump Chanel Cuir de Russie or Cuir de Lancome, both of which I own and also cost less than the Dior option.
9 years ago
Triffid:
Regardless, I hear good things about Dior's take on the idea and thought Cuir Cannage (why do I always read that as 'Pure Carnage') might be worth sampling, though I doubt it will trump Chanel Cuir de Russie or Cuir de Lancome, both of which I own and also cost less than the Dior option.
I'm also curious about Cuir Cannage. The one that always wanted to sample though is "Diorling", which is all but impossible to find these days. I know it's been reformulated and reissued, but is the new reincarnation any good? Does it even resemble the original? Anyone know?
9 years ago
Triffid:
I like Dior, I really do. ...
Haven't tried any of the private collection ...it all seems a bit pretentious and reeks of marketing spin. Are they just trying to get consumers to pay more for the sort of quality that used to be mainstream?

Haven't tried the Diors you mention, except Diorella, which I have around here somewhere, but can't put my hands on at the moment. Will find and sniff. I've discovered that fortunately when it comes to perfume (also wine and food)---and unfortunately in much of the rest of life--I have a hypersensitive (and I mean hyper!) nose that smell things most others apparently don't. Example: hubby just fine but me passing out in the house after a hurricane dumped something toxic on our roof near a/c intake. In the 4 Dior's I just reviewed there is a--to me--almost unbearable synthetic qualiy--stuffy and oily. The notes just don't feel natural. Not one of the private collection has this. I thought the same as you about them, at first, until a review here prompted me to try them. This time the hype is real. The whole group is just glorious.
9 years ago
That's very interesting Scentfan - seems you're a bit like the canary in the coalmine!
I owned J'adore many years ago before it was reformulated, apparently it's changed for the worse. I never repurchased after my first bottle because of longevity issues.
Poison has too much tuberose for my liking and ironically, given your comments above, Hypnotic Poison has a synthetic, playdough-y note that prevents me pursuing it as an almond fragrance option.
I guess hypersensitivity to smells is a blessing and curse. Rather like putting on magnifying glasses and marvelling at all the crisp detail until one looks in the mirror (horrors!). Myself, I often like fragrances that are a little rough and angular but I don't think my sense of smell is particularly acute - maybe I need the crayon rendering rather than the fine watercolour.
9 years ago
Exactly right, Triffid. Human canary. A blessing and a curse. Actually had to leave my house until the a/c guy (who smelled nothing) found and fixed the problem. Hope to eventually identify the synthetics that bother me. At first I thought it was aldehydes. Guess not because of the perfumes I love that have them. Are there cheap vs quality synthetics?

Natural, or near-natural fragrances usually work for me, but not always. The PK Perfumes I've tried swiftly shut my nose down and they're natural or mostly so. Fortunately, just in is the luckyscent sample pack of D.S. & Durga, a Brooklyn firm I hadn't heard of that specializes in "premium-sourced raw materials." Took one sniff and it has the airy loveliness of Dior's private collection. Can't wait to do a sniff fest of the line.

Yes, I smelled the same synthetic note you did in Hypnotic Poison the second time I wore it.
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands let's talk about Dior
Jump to