Foren-Übersicht Men's Perfume Which fragrance is a Hype-king or Overhyped?
Keppy
Keppy
19 Posts
KeppyKeppy Which fragrance is a Hype-king or Overhyped? 28.01.2015, 21:54
In your humble opinion which fragrance would you
consider to be a HYPE-KING (but truly
deserves it).
And which do you think is OVERHYPED?

Sleuth
Sleuth
500 Posts
SleuthSleuth 28.01.2015, 23:12
OVERHYPED: Creed
Okay, they definitely smell good. But if a person pays € 150 he should get more than just "smell good". IMHO Chanel has the same quality for 1/3rd the price.

HYPE-KING: many fragrances made by perfumer Annick Menardo deserve the hype.
Examples:
- "Bvlgari Black", with the famous rubber-like/plastic-like smell.
- "Boss Bottled" (okay, not a hype but a favourite for many men -- and it deserves the good reputation)
- "Hypnotic Poison" = a popular women's fragrance with almond. It's worth smelling.
Menardo also made: "Potion" (weird amber) , "Body Kouros" (eucalyptus), "Au Masculin" (liquorice) and "La Collection Privée - Bois d'Argent"

Tar
Tar
118 Posts
TarTar 29.01.2015, 07:44
Penhaligon's, it produces beautiful perfumes, but they get rotten within half year.

Sleuth
Sleuth
500 Posts
SleuthSleuth 29.01.2015, 11:56
@ Tar: And what is the ´hype-king' for you? A frag that deserves the hype?

Apicius
Apicius
3422 Posts
ApiciusApicius 29.01.2015, 12:01
Overhyped are:

- Bond No.9
Nice fragrances, nice flacons but the price tags aren't nice.

- Creed
Extremely boring gents' colognes with few exceptions. They discontinued their more interesting perfumes: "Orange Spice", "Vétiver"

Maybe you can regard Guerlain as a hype king who deserves to be one. Especially the perfumes created by Jean-Paul Guerlain are top of the top.

General rule: never pay more for a perfume than what Guerlain asks for their exclusive lines. You won't get any better!

Tar
Tar
118 Posts
TarTar 29.01.2015, 19:16
Sleuth wrote:
@ Tar: And what is the ´hype-king' for you? A frag that deserves the hype?


Thank you for the question.
Rolling Eyes
Thierry Mugler - because of Womanity Twisted Evil
Profumum Roma, Atelier Cologne, Profumi del Forte as well. Parfum de Marly, Serge Lutens... But I should be kept more informed about the hyped brands, I am afraid, do not have enough info to tell something judicious. The house that can not get enough attention in my eyes is Fueguia 1833.

Actually I think, Guerlain is overhyped too, but it is because I like only one fragrance of them. Annick Goutal, ELDO, Bond No. 9. indeed, even Byredo. How many enemies have I gained with these few words? Shoot me down, please Very Happy

Apicius
Apicius
3422 Posts
ApiciusApicius 29.01.2015, 21:52
Tar wrote:
The house that can not get enough attention in my eyes is Fueguia 1833.


I would love to test these. Hope I will have the chance eventually.

DonVanVliet
DonVanVliet
3489 Posts
DonVanVlietDonVanVliet 30.01.2015, 20:13
by Kilian I guess .. nice perfumes.. but way to expensive!
Just read an interview with Pierre Guillaume.. "mainstream shampoo for rich russians" he says Smile
http://www.parfumo.de/blog/2015/01/30/der-talismanschmied-in-der-parfumprovinz-interview-mit-pierre-guillaume/

Sleuth
Sleuth
500 Posts
SleuthSleuth 31.01.2015, 01:01
Nice interview. Funny what he says about Francis Kurkdjian! Smile

Cryptic
Cryptic
2423 Posts
CrypticCryptic 31.01.2015, 01:37
DonVanVliet wrote:
by Kilian I guess .. nice perfumes.. but way to expensive!
Just read an interview with Pierre Guillaume.. "mainstream shampoo for rich russians" he says Smile
http://www.parfumo.de/blog/2015/01/30/der-talismanschmied-in-der-parfumprovinz-interview-mit-pierre-guillaume/


Laughing Meow! No need to be jealous, Pierre. You're pretty, too.

What can I say about the By Kilian line? The packaging is stunning, but the perfumes don't exactly rock my world.

Sleuth
Sleuth
500 Posts
SleuthSleuth 31.01.2015, 01:46
Hey Cryptic, what fragrance is for you the 'hype-king', and which one is overhyped?

Cryptic
Cryptic
2423 Posts
CrypticCryptic 31.01.2015, 02:22
It would have to be the Roja Dove line, Sleuth. Mind you, I've only tested a few and they were very nice, but nowhere near the orgasmicity ( I just made that one up) that I was expecting from the lavishly positive reviews. And the prices are truly horrifying.

One perfume which deserves every word of praise it receives is "Tea Rose (Eau de Toilette)" by The Perfumer's Worship. If you love roses, it's a very cheap thrill. Even if roses aren't your favorite thing, it's still wonderful to layer with patch, musk, etc. My nomination for best value for dollar in the perfume universe.

Edited: Feckin' autocorrect. Laughing I didn't even spot that, Tar.
Last edited by Cryptic on 01.02.2015, 17:46; edited 1 time in total

Tar
Tar
118 Posts
TarTar 01.02.2015, 16:26
Cryptic wrote:
Tea Rose (Eau de Toilette) by The Perfumer's Worship.


The best expression!!! LOL
Really, they should just change their company name for this.

ScentFan
ScentFan
386 Posts
ScentFanScentFan 01.02.2015, 17:15
These are the ones I've formed definite pro/con opinions about so far (subject to change via delighted surprise, of course)

Not Over-hyped in the least:

Amouage
Caron
Creed
Dior Private Collection
Ex Idolo (Thirty Three)
Frederic Malle (particularly Une Rose)
Guerlain
Oriza L. Legrand
L'Artisan
Montale
Parfums de Nicolai
Perfumery Workshop
Rodin
Serge Lutens (probably; planning a sniff fest to find out)
Slumberhouse
Over-Hyped (i.e., I'll probably not buy an FB):

Atelier Cologne
Bond No 9
by Killian
Fragrance Republic
Hanae Mori
House of Sillage
Lush
Penhaligon
Prada
Puredistance
Roja Dove
Tauer Perfumes
Thierry Mugler
Tom Ford
Xerjoff

Tar
Tar
118 Posts
TarTar 01.02.2015, 20:50
I do not know Rodin, what is this house like?
Montale is indeed relatively cheap for those strong fragrances. Smile

How could I forget to mention Puredistance as over-hyped? You are sooo right, ScentFan!

ScentFan
ScentFan
386 Posts
ScentFanScentFan 02.02.2015, 01:16
Tar, it's Linda Rodin's company, Rodin Olio Lusso. She's made a perfume as interesting as she is, called Rodin. Someone suggested it for my Jasmine Sniff Fest and I fell straight in love. She has a new one called bis I must try.

Tar wrote:
I do not know Rodin, what is this house like?
Montale is indeed relatively cheap for those strong fragrances. Smile

How could I forget to mention Puredistance as over-hyped? You are sooo right, ScentFan!


P.S. Edited to correct name of perfume.
Last edited by ScentFan on 02.02.2015, 18:23; edited 1 time in total

ScentFan
ScentFan
386 Posts
ScentFanScentFan 02.02.2015, 02:03
p.s. Tar, then I must try Womanity and something from Fuegia 1833. Love Annick Goutal's Nuit Etoilée. Don't know ELDO and Byredo yet.

Tar wrote:
Sleuth wrote:
@ Tar: And what is the ´hype-king' for you? A frag that deserves the hype?


Thank you for the question.
Rolling Eyes
Thierry Mugler - because of Womanity Twisted Evil
Profumum Roma, Atelier Cologne, Profumi del Forte as well. Parfum de Marly, Serge Lutens... But I should be kept more informed about the hyped brands, I am afraid, do not have enough info to tell something judicious. The house that can not get enough attention in my eyes is Fueguia 1833.

Actually I think, Guerlain is overhyped too, but it is because I like only one fragrance of them. Annick Goutal, ELDO, Bond No. 9. indeed, even Byredo. How many enemies have I gained with these few words? Shoot me down, please Very Happy

Tar
Tar
118 Posts
TarTar 02.02.2015, 08:08
ScentFan wrote:
Someone suggested it for my Jasmine Sniff Fest and I fell straight in love. She has a new one called bis I must try.


Sounds quite interesting! Thank you for the tip.

Pipette
Pipette
2183 Posts
PipettePipette 03.02.2015, 10:50
Most of the Bond No. 9 perfumes. Garish bottles, mediocre scents.

With a few exceptions - "Bond No. 9 Perfume" "Madison Square Park" "Fire Island" "New Harleem"

ScentedSalon
ScentedSalon
88 Posts
ScentedSalonScentedSalon 15.03.2015, 19:33
Pipette wrote:
Most of the Bond No. 9 perfumes. Garish bottles, mediocre scents.

With a few exceptions - "Bond No. 9 Perfume" "Madison Square Park" "Fire Island" "New Harleem"


Bond is awful and I really did not get the whole Puredistance concept. Nothing smelled good to me and the price is probably the most outrageous I've seen.

Creed is not that great honestly and Roja Dove, though I've only sampled a few, is just not worth it.

ScentFan
ScentFan
386 Posts
ScentFanScentFan 16.03.2015, 02:29
Until yesterday, when I spent three hours at Neiman's perfume counters in a mild delirium of joy...okay a feverish delirium of joy...I assumed out of hand that Clive Christian was over- hyped, but not having tried them I didn't list them here. Today my assumption stands corrected. CC is on my not over-hyped in any way shape or form list! Gorgeous scents! I may never buy an FB, but I bought the trio of minis for women. Now all I need is a royal ball to wear one to.

Insense
Insense
20 Posts
InsenseInsense 16.03.2015, 11:00
DonVanVliet wrote:

Just read an interview with Pierre Guillaume.. "mainstream shampoo for rich russians" he says Smile
http://www.parfumo.de/blog/2015/01/30/der-talismanschmied-in-der-parfumprovinz-interview-mit-pierre-guillaume/
Is there an english translation available?

Apicius
Apicius
3422 Posts
ApiciusApicius 16.03.2015, 22:43
Insense wrote:
DonVanVliet wrote:

Just read an interview with Pierre Guillaume.. "mainstream shampoo for rich russians" he says Smile
http://www.parfumo.de/blog/2015/01/30/der-talismanschmied-in-der-parfumprovinz-interview-mit-pierre-guillaume/
Is there an english translation available?

Unfortunately not.

Briarthorn
Briarthorn
265 Posts
BriarthornBriarthorn 17.03.2015, 10:05
I think for me the houses that get too much hype are:

L'Artisan - gone before I get to know it, serious longevity issues here

Bond 9 - Just eh.( new Haarlem is an exception, I haven't tried fire Island)

Chanel - the new formulations for the new crazy higher prices are robbery, just say no. My 2013 bottle of No.5 is a travesty. I haven't picked up anything else after feeling so cheated.

Caron - WTH happened. Pretty much the same issues as Chanel. The reformulations make me want to cry.

Dior - Basically the same reason as Chanel and Caron

Houses that I think deserve more hype:

Elizabeth Taylor - For the price (under $20 USD) you can't beat the quality. I am a huge fan of this line. Particularly Violet Eyes, White Diamonds Lustre, Diamonds and Emeralds, and of course Passion and Black Pearl. Love em. Money well spent. Not one of her scents I won't wear (though I admit to not trying Passion for men).

Olympic Orchids - Very affordable with really good quality. Even if I didn't like the scent I appreciated the quality of what went into it. Good stuff.

Guerlain - They have reworked the classics recently. Wow. It's like Wasser has managed to recapture the past glories of this house under these crazy regulations. Commendable. I am definitely going to buy the new formulations of Shalimar, Mitsouko, and Samsara before the end of the year. I really hope Dior, Caron and Chanel take up Guerlains example.

Display posts from previous:  

Foren-Übersicht Men's Perfume Which fragrance is a Hype-king or Overhyped?

Page 1 of 1