Search Forum

Laura Ashley No 1 (2012)

Laura Ashley No 1 (2012) 9 years ago
Has anyone who was fond of the older (1989) Laura Ashley No 1 tried this new version of the iconic floral fragrance? I am curious, what are your thoughts, reactions?
9 years ago
I haven't tried the new one but remember loving the original. Have you got the old to do a side by side?
9 years ago
Tinctureall:
I haven't tried the new one but remember loving the original. Have you got the old to do a side by side?

Hi Tinctureall, So true, the original was excellent and I haven't found anything even similar. Unfortunately I don't have the original. It's gotten very difficult to find from trusted sources. It was so popular in the early 90s that I didn't even stock up because everyone else was wearing it and I was into having a unique signature scent- so I chose something else- Paco Rabanne "Calandre", as I recall (fool that I am! I wasn't yet collecting fragrances.)
I guess I could invest in a sample from one of the purveyors of out-of-production scents. I see the notes for the newer version are not even close to those for the original, so I am wondering if it is even worth it. It says on the website "a modern interpretation of the classic" so that is fairly vague. Notes on the 2012 version say "cassis, victorian plum, violet leaves, marshmallow and green water stem." versus the original which was "peach, bergamot, orange blossom, gardenia, galbanum, narcissus, rose, jasmine, carnation, cinnamon, basil, sandalwood, musk, vanilla, cyclamen and oakmoss"...hmmm. What do you think?
9 years ago
It sounds like a shaky reformulation to me. It can't be worse than the reformulation of PM Cachet though. Green Water Stem? yea...
9 years ago
I just tried the new formulation of the Laura Ashley no.1 It wasn't bad at all. It had a nice 80s vibe. Very Molly Ringwald in "sixteen Candles". I can't recall the original scent perfectly but the new one is at least has the same feel as the original (thanks to the peach). Here in the states the new version is in the discount stores like Ross, TJMaxx and Marshalls for a song (and in a pretty bottle). Perhaps you can find it affordably in the UK too. I don't think giving it a go would be amiss. I can say for sure that the new version isn't as deep or complex as the original, but if you don't put them side by side I think you may be satisfied with this new interpretation (especially if you get it affordably).
9 years ago
Briarthorn:
I just tried the new formulation of the Laura Ashley no.1 It wasn't bad at all. It had a nice 80s vibe. Very Molly Ringwald in "sixteen Candles". I can't recall the original scent perfectly but the new one is at least has the same feel as the original (thanks to the peach). Here in the states the new version is in the discount stores like Ross, TJMaxx and Marshalls for a song (and in a pretty bottle). Perhaps you can find it affordably in the UK too. I don't think giving it a go would be amiss. I can say for sure that the new version isn't as deep or complex as the original, but if you don't put them side by side I think you may be satisfied with this new interpretation (especially if you get it affordably).

Ooooh! Thanks so much for this input! I live near a TJ Maxx- so I'll be on the look out for it! I find it fascinating that seemingly totally different formulations can lead to similar "scent memories". I am excited to try it now!
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands Laura Ashley No 1 (2012)
Jump to