Search Forum

Weekly Scent Discussion #20: Who do you love?

Weekly Scent Discussion #20: Who do you love? 9 years ago
I thought this week we could just say a little something about the scents near and dear to us and why we love them so. I always find topics like this are fantastic ways for me to discover new loves (like my Caron Pour un Homme!)

By Kilian Taste of Heaven.
I love how this one plays on my skin. The lavender and Vanilla blend so beautifully with the other notes. It's very gender neutral but completely lovely. I know many reviews on this site are negative about this scent but perhaps it's because more woman haven't tried it.

Pour Un Homme de Caron
A wonderful friend bought me a small vintage bottle of this. It is so completely perfect. It has all the things I adore about Taste of Heaven but is different enough to warrant me owning both scents. It's impossible for me to say which one Iove best.

Donna Karen NY Black Cashmere
I have a 30ml mouse bottle (vintage) and a 7ml pure parfum (vintage) of this scent that I cherish and horde like a dragon with it's gold. This scent transports me to places where I'm brave and collected. I wrote a review on it that explains why I love her so much. I really regret not getting a larger bottle before the prices spiked. I would love to wear this scent so much more than I do. Perhaps one day the prices will come back down or someone will give me a bottle because they never wear it. A girl can dream and hope.

Origins Ginger Essence
A friend bought this for me for a song at a thrift shop. I find this to be one of the most uplifting scents in my cupboard. It always makes me feel more awake, energized, and brighter. It's a perfect feel goods zingy scent.

Elizabeth Taylor Black Pearl
I have the frosted Vintage bottle of this one. Every time I wear it I am struck by how beautiful it is. It lasts forever as well. To be honest I adore all my Elizabeth Taylor Scents. They are all very special in their own ways.

Vintage Dana Tabu
This was my grandmother's scent. I wear it when I miss her. It makes me feel loved, safe and warm. It's a beautiful scent and I can completely understand why she loved it so much.

I am out of time. To Be Continued...
9 years ago
I'm not sure whether this topic just bores people so no one wanted to reply or if it's just that nobody reads the forums at all anymore. Is this a sign that there is no longer interest in the weekly scent discussions?
I've Been Away... 9 years ago
....but I am back, and I will add to your discussion.

I have a lot of true loves, none of which are terribly expensive ones. Here are some of mine.

Ralph Lauren Polo (vintage)....piney smooth tobacco that lasts forever. I have the current version, and while nice, it has lost a lot things.

Elizabeth Arden Blue Grass (current): I have a vintage of this, and while the current version is stripped down, it is a clean soapy floral that I happen to find very unisex. I love it (in limited quantities) after a shower on a spring day.

Estee Lauder Azuree (current): Love this stuff. It still has the kick that Aramis used to and is so concentrated that it lasts twice as long as the Aramis.

Cabochard EDT(current): Another one that has been stripped over the years, but is a great budget alternative to Aramis for those who cannot afford a bottle.

Dana Canoe EDT (current version): This one is more lemony and quite a bit less powdery than the vintage, and I find that I like it better. The EDT also still has the power behind it to last a good while.
9 years ago
I adore Alf Lail O Lail and I don't know why because it is a strange old beast. Gushings of patchouli, medicinal, strangely sweet, earthy, in short not at all what I would call pretty and yet it is enticing.

It makes my head smile when I am feeling down and being new to me has no bad memories associated with it.
9 years ago
Gmmcnair: I've always been curious to try Polo, it looks like I need to seek out a vintage. I have a small bottle of Blue Grass vintage. I love it too. It is a perfect light spring scent. It is very good to know that the current Azuree is very good. I was digging around for a vintage, but I won't bother now and just pick up the new one.
Dana Canoe is one that I keep meaning to purchase but for some reason I have not. I inherited a bottle from my gran when she passed, but she didn't keep it well and the top was off. I've been meaning to get an intact bottle ever since.

DorthyGrace: I'ev never heard of Alf lail O Lail bit I am very intrigued by your description. I will endeavor to find a sample now! Smile

Here are a few more of my Loves:

Francis Kurkdjian APOM pour Femme
I love how simple it is but how complex and luxuriously it blends together. It's has a touch of exoticness to it and it's just a very well crafted scent.

Lolita Lempicka Si Lolita EDT
I love how bright this scent is. I find it incredibly uplifting and pretty. The pepper is prominent but it's not off putting or overly strong. It's a sweeter, softer pepper than what you would find in L'Artisan Chasse Papillions Extreme for example. This scent just makes me feel lighter and happy.

Lolita Lempicka Apple Bottle scents
I love them all in their own ways. My favorites are definitely Minuet Sonne and Fleur Defendue. Minuet Sonne has this beautiful zing I sometimes catch in the silage. It's so lovely. Defendue is lighter and a nice pick me up. All the other apples bottles are also wonderful and some of my most worn scents. I've found myself trying to collect them all. I very daunting feat, but a girl has got to have goals Smile

Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant
This scent is heavy and almost tangible in it's weight. It lasts eons and is super strong. I love it's play of exotic spices and sweet muskiness. It's beautiful and demanding, but not unyielding. I love how it envelopes you in it's weight and strength, almost like wrapping a blanket around you. Definitely one of the most unique scents in my collection.

Molinard Habanita EDP (current)
The musk is the star for me in this scent. It's slightly sweet and a touch exotic, and much like the musk in Jungle L'Elephant, it's enveloping and cozy. I actually love it for many of the same reasons I love L'Elephant. It blends so nicely with the Mastic and other bits and pieces. Truly beautiful. It has changed a bit over the years but I would definitely say the current version, though not a carbon copy of the vintage Habanita, still has that thing that makes Habanita, Habanita. When you smell it you don't mistake it for anything else. And the bottle is so beautiful!

Borsari Violetta di Parma
This is a classic, but warm violet, not powdery or candied. It's the quintessential violet perfume that every girl should have in her wardrobe. There is a lovely floral bouquet accompanying the violet but it doesn't overshadow the violet at all, allowing the violet to sing and be the star. Love it.

Youth Dew (vintage)
This scent is a roller coaster. It's complex, it's fickle, and it's stunningly beautiful. My husband hates it so It's my little personal pleasure that I indulge in when he's out of town.
8 years ago
I really wanted to get on with the new Molinard Habanita; beautiful bottle, good quality, complicated scent, can be had for a steel at allbeauty (£39.99 for 75 ml - drat! it still tempts me) but however much I try, Habanita does not sit well on my skin.

It has a hopeful start, distinctive, powdery, musky, but all too soon it pulls a very strong Germoline smell on my skin a smell with which I am most familiar from childhood days filled with tears and scabby knees from rollarskate falls. It isn't just a scent memory, I really do smell of antiseptic Germoline.

The early versions of Youth Dew were great. The new version is bitter, linear. My sister bought mum her first bottle in the late '60s and mum gave it up around 2012/2013 (at first I didn't know what she meant when she said it didn't smell like Youth Dew but that was because she had an old bottle in the front room and the new bottle in her bedroom - boy was I shocked when I tried the one in her bedroom). 50 years of wearing Youth Dew and then it's gone. Poor old mum; it was her only treat in life and she felt the loss keenly.
8 years ago
Thankfully, Vintage youth Dew is still pretty affordable on ebay and such sites. I've rarely found it turned. Sometimes you can find it at thrift shops and estate sales too. You may be able to affordable get your mom a bottle of vintage so don't give up hope Smile
8 years ago
I love the current Habanita EDP...it works wonderfully with my skin...smokey, sweet, and dark. Almost like a really good pipe tobacco on me.

The current Youth Dew, interestingly, isn't bitter on my skin at all. I get more of a spiced Coca Cola vibe out of it, similar to (but better than) what Stetson for Men does on me. Makes me happy since it's an affordable scent for me.
8 years ago
Gmmcnair, I just realized I have yet to try the new youth dew. I think I should try and find a sample so I can do a comparative review. I also have a bottle of vintage pure parfum that would be fun to compare as well. Thanks for giving e a great idea Smile
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands Weekly Scent Discussion #20: Who do you love?
Jump to