Search Forum

sinus friendly fragrances?

sinus friendly fragrances? 9 years ago
My passion for fragrance has waned recently because I have confirmed through much trial and error that most of my fragrances give me a sinus headache to one degree or another. What a clusterf**k, right? Considering I now have more bottles than I'll use in my lifetime.

With a couple exceptions:

"Ambre Precieux" - sprayed on my back, doesn't bother me much, plus I LOVE it.

"Coromandel" - again, on my back, bothers me a little more than Ambre Precieux, but still no major sinus drama. And I LORRRVE it.

I've had good luck with natural and semi-natural oils, such as Kuumba Made. Which, if you like oriental bases, you can have a field day mixing together sandalwood, patchouli, vanilla, amber, etc., in different proportions. Kuumba Made even makes a great Opium oil.

Anyone else out there found some sinus-friendlies?
9 years ago
I wonder if it's Indoles that are bothering you. Jasmine does it to me many times. It could also be aldehydes. I have a friend that Aldehydes sends into a sneezing fit.
9 years ago
Briarthorn, I wish that were the case. But most of my faves don't have either of those and some that do are the lesser offenders. Crying or Very sad
9 years ago
Sorry this is happening to you, Dulce. Sad Looking for fragrances that don't trigger the sinus problem is a smart approach. You could also see an ENT just to rule out that there isn't some other problem that's contributing to the headaches, like a sinus infection, for instance. About the only thing I can think of that might help you is Flonase. It's a corticosteroid nasal spray that I couldn't live without during allergy season. It used to be prescription, but now it's OTC. Wish I could be more helpful.
9 years ago
Yep! Having made the same discovery recently...oh, the irony! My Ambrette 9 water based fragrance (for babies) doesn't bother me at all- down side it last for all of 5 minutes- tried to "booster" with the alcohol based version- massive headache...ugh! Not sure what triggers it for me- it seems not just alcohol but some other oils or fixative really exaggerate the condition. I love Aqua Di Parma Colonia- but this one really causes problems along with Serge Luten's Nuit De Cellophane, Carnal Flower and my beloved signature scent Peau De Peche (which does have a large dose of aldehydes in the base). The biggest offenders are Eternity Calvin Klein and my Sensi sample. The least offending- Penhaligon's formulations, Not sure which direction to turn now- tried just pure oils but "Child" perfume oil and Saffron James "Punono" oils also trigger sneezing fits and vicious sinus pain/ migraines. The problem runs across era, class, price, notes formulation for me.
9 years ago
I've been thinking on this for some time. It's so strange. I wonder if there is some chemical that is used but not listed, a preservative or binder or something.
8 years ago
I must report back that I have found a natural cosmetics company that sells natural-ish dupes based in oil, called Face n Earth, LLC. Sold on amazon. I've tried several and they vary in their similarity to the original, but all are lovely in their own right, they last for many hours, and very inexpensive.

Some of their dupes that I have tried so far:

Addict: Very similar to original, the main notes are there in correct proportion, it's just calmer, for lack of a better word, than the original.

Obsession: Almost right on the money, just smoother and more delicate than the original.

Chanel No. 19: It takes a while to develop, but even then, the similarity to the original is minimal. If taking a blind smell test, I wouldn't have made the connection, but it's still lovely.

Morphine: I've never tried the original, but this is nice. It's got a sort of tartness to it, layered over some pleasant oriental notes
8 years ago
My non-sinus irritating fragrance list is quite small...my collection gently weeps...but here are some that I have found tolerable in this phase (it is jut a temporary phase, right?!):

1. Le Labo- Ambrette 9 (Alcohol-free/water based "baby formulation") requires layering with body wash, fragrance oil...to get decent longevity- but I love the peachy musky scent.

2. Chanel Cristalle Au Verte
3. Il Profvmo- Musc Bleu
4. Helmut Lang- Men's cologne (which is actually very unisex on me)
5. Honore de Pres- Love Coco- you must love coconut, carrots and sandalwood to wear, but...
6. Santa Maria Novella- Muschio
7. Ava Luxe- everything I've sampled seems fine from this line (LTBL, Cafe Noir, Figuier, Nude Musc)
8 years ago
I have major problems with some scents, too: all of PK Perfumes and Tauer Perfumes, for instance, and some Oriza L. LeGrand, beautiful though they are. Lines or houses that never seem to bother me are:

Amouage
Bijan
Caron
Clive Christian
Coty
Creed
Dior Private Collection
D. S. & Durga
Grès
Guerlain
Joop!
Jovoy
L'Artisan
Paco Rabanne
Parfums de Nicolai
Perfumer's Workshop
Ramon Monegal
Salvador Dali
Serge Lutens (except L'Eau Froide, Nuit de Cellophane, and Sarrasins which swiftly close my nose)
Slumberhouse
8 years ago
Could it be that you perfume fans have used perfumes excessively - over long periods of time - and that now the body protests?
8 years ago
An interesting question, Pipette, so I did some research and in the process learned I've developed "contact dermatitis." I've had it three times (rash around my neck). Major pain. Now I have to avoid spraying perfume on my neck at all since I don't know which might trigger a rash. I can spray on chest, hands and arms with no problem. A slightly darker area remains around my neck where the contact rash arose. Ah, found a list of natural remedies. Bet if I slather my neck with aloe for a while all will be well. Guess this is what the EU is trying to protect us from, but I still prefer that natural ingredients not be banned in perfume.
8 years ago
ScentFan:
I have major problems with some scents, too: all of PK Perfumes and Tauer Perfumes, for instance, and some Oriza L. LeGrand, beautiful though they are. Lines or houses that never seem to bother me are:

Amouage
Bijan
Caron
Clive Christian
Coty
Creed
Dior Private Collection
D. S. & Durga
Grès
Guerlain
Joop!
Jovoy
L'Artisan
Paco Rabanne
Parfums de Nicolai
Perfumer's Workshop
Ramon Monegal
Salvador Dali
Serge Lutens (except L'Eau Froide, Nuit de Cellophane, and Sarrasins which swiftly close my nose)
Slumberhouse

OMG! Bingo on the Nuit de Cellophane for me too. I have sampled almost all of this house, love quite a few...but Nuit de cellophane I blind bought a 50 ml bottle and it smells wonderful but immediately causing my sinuses to close up and sneezing! So weird!!!
8 years ago
Flavorite, I think all three have something synthetic that the other Serge Lutens perfs don't. Maybe there's less of it in Sarrasins but eventually it closes my nose, too.
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfume Recommendations sinus friendly fragrances?
Jump to