Search Forum

Weekly Scent Discussion #24: Your Scent Journey of 2015.

Weekly Scent Discussion #24: Your Scent Journey of 2015. 8 years ago
I haven't been keeping up with my weekly posts after the lack-luster response I got to the Lilac thread. But I'll give it another go.

So let's do recaps of our 2015 Scent Journeys. How was your scent journey this year? What did you discover? anything blow your mind? Any Disappointments? What surprised you? Did you expand your collection? What are you still hunting for? What are your plans for next year? Are you happy with your reviews? What did you manage to mark off your test or review list? Anything non-scent related you want to share?

What did you discover?
So, looking back at 2015, I learned that I love the houses Byredo (which I will never afford), Pacifica and Black Phoenix Alchemy lab. I also discovered that I am crazy about classic Lavender scents Like Versace Dreamer, and Caron Pour un Homme.

What did you manage to mark off your test or review list?
It's been a slow year of reviews for me because I haven't reviewed anything since I got pregnant. I'm afraid the crazy hormones might cause a misperception of the scent and skew my review. I haven't tested many of my samples either for the same reason. I've got quite the back-log now.

Did you expand your collection?
I have added quite a few things to my collection this year, vintage and new. I've collected all the Scents in the Elizabeth Taylor line. I haven't been disappointed in any of them, though I think I wear the original White diamonds the least. White Diamonds Lustre and Diamonds and Rubies have been rocking my world most recently. Passion for men and my vintage Black Pearl are always favorites, however. I've also added quite a few Lolita Lempicka's to my collection. I just adore her scents and the bottles are so lovely. I hope to collect all those adorable apples one day. I actually picked up four new Pacifica Scents yesterday and discovered I really love the Mexican Cocoa. Something about it just does it for me. I went and ordered a back up bottle a few moments ago.

What are you still hunting for?
I've added Vintage Cinnabar to my Vintage look out list. I realized it's one of the classics I really miss and must acquire. I've also added Vintage Estee (not the super perfume) to the look out list, a woman I sometimes see at work wears it, and she always smells so amazing. I wonder if the new version smells as good as the vintage. That would be easier to find. I also would like to pick up a Bottle of Bond No 9 So New York and Bond No 9 I love New York for all. I want more coffee in my life. I am still on the lookout for a bottle or even a 20-30ml decant of Thierry Mulger's Pure Coffee. Then there is the ever going hunt for a bottle of the Black Cashmere (mouse bottle) that I can afford.

Any Disappointments?
I didn't have too many disappointments this year. The biggest ones would probably be Trésor Midnight Rose and Trésor L'Absolu de Parfum. Oh and Cachet. I got a new bottle of it and it's unbearable. It's probably the worst perfume I've encountered. No resemblance to the original at all. I really should just toss it in the bin.

What are your plans for next year?
Next year (after I have this baby) I hope to start reviewing everyday again. I hope I wont be to rusty at it. There are some of my earliest reviews that I would also like to revisit and improve.

Anything non-scent related you want to share?
Well we are still looking for a house to buy. Fingers crossed it comes soon. I have to tell my landlord about the termites when she comes to walkthrough the house in the next few weeks. I am terrified she will want to fumigate while I still live there. I really think it's a bad idea while I'm pregnant, and well, we have no money for a hotel for 4 days and no one to stay with. If we could get a dang contract on a house I could try and stall her until I move out. Besides the housing thing life is moving along well for us. The baby is Due April 25 and it's going to be a girl (Finally!). I have two boys so a girl is most welcome. We decide to name her Alice Leilani. Alice after my late grandmother and Leilani because that's my husbands favorite name.
8 years ago
My two biggest 'scent successes' of 2015 were the additions of Jo Malone's Orange Blossom (suggested to me by Briarthorn, and I'll be forever grateful to you!) and Dame Perfumery's Mandarin, Neroli, & Cedar to my orange blossom/neroli collection. Both of these present my beloved orange in ways that work beautifully for me. Another was L'Artisan's Timbuktu, this type of resinous scent is new territory for me, one I intend to explore more in the coming year. And finally, after endless searching I scored two bottles of Eau de Bonpoint, one alcohol free, and one EDT. The search for the concentre version will continue. My biggest disappointment was Nicolai's Eau sOleil, I just can't understand why it smells so awful on me. And lastly, there will always be a bottle of Elizabeth Arden's Blue Grass in a very special place in my collection. It was my mother's signature scent, sadly she passed away quite suddenly just before thanksgiving this year. Blue Grass brings her image to me more strongly than anything else. I wish a happy holiday season to all my fragrant friends, and I appreciate all of you who post and share your knowledge of perfume with everyone!
8 years ago
So sorry about your Mom, Fhaldara. Nice to have a scent you associate with her. For my mother it's Coty de Chypre and almost any lavender. Timbuktu is also one of my faves. Must try the others you found. I liked Jo Malone's Tuberose Angelica, but have yet to buy it or try the Orange Blossom.

What did you discover?
I also liked some Byredo's I tested, Briarthorn. No FBs yet. If I discovered nothing but Monegal's Kiss My Name in 2015, I'd be a very happy woman. The jasmine/tuberose combo is an indolic wonder. Chanel's Misia is another I treasure, as is Dior's Oud Ispahan. Cabotine was a joyful find, as was One Man Show for hubby. From the Sniff Fests, I also discovered two by D.S. & Gurga that I wear a lot: Boston Ivy and Silent Grove. I'm rapidly falling in love with Oscar de la Renta's now inexpensive Volupté, a sophisticated, melony & green floral with a fabulous base. Otherwise, Serge Lutens' Chene and several others by him, particularly Muscs Koublaï Khän, Rose de Nuit and more were happy finds. Also Patricia de Nicolai's Cuir Cuba and others.

Did you expand your collection?
Yes.
What are you still hunting for?
Roja by Roja Perfumes--well, I know where it is and I plan to get it. What I'm hunting for is an extra $3,500 dollars to buy it! And if I ever find the fragrance Guerlain made for Balzac in the 1830's, I'm sure I will empty my purse.

Any Disappointments?
All current Dior's except those in La Collection Privée. Bulgaria's Omnia Coral, a chemical affair. Also Cartier's La Panthere and L'Heure Convoitée underwhelmed, as did Giorgio Armani's Si.

What are your plans for next year?
To have enough for food after I buy perfume. Wink

Anything non-scent related you want to share?
Hello to Alice Leilani in her comfy nest. If she's born on April 25 her sun sign will be Taurus--lover of the sensually pleasing like food, music and perfume. As for me, I've been practicing meditation in earnest, from 20-60 or more minutes a day. Amazing how it helps with absolutely everything: health, relationships, finding parking spaces. Happy Holidays to all.
2015 8 years ago
dat
Last edited by ExUser on 22.12.2015, 08:48; edited 2 times in total
8 years ago
Fhaldara, although I didn't know your mother I am saddened by her sudden demise for the loss you are experiencing. Please accept my condolences.

All in all I have been left uninspired by the perfumes I have sampled this year (purchased decants or manufacturer's carded samples) and put through their paces.

Most have been high end or niche and all have been underwhelming to such an extent that I can't bring myself to write a review for most of them.

I am finding that modern formulas are smelling artificial to me and many make me feel unwell which I think is down to some of the artificial musks. And linear, so very linear in performance.

My biggest disappointment has to be the reformulation of Aromatics Elixir which brings me out in an angry red rash and has a lemony top that I find out of place to say nothing of the general thinness or lack of depth to the scent (compared, of course, to my bottle from around 20 years ago which is absolutely intact and dry in smell - fruity top, no thanks).

My biggest success has to be 3ml rollerballs from Ajmal, in particular Himalayan Rose - lovely and sweet, a little Indian rose josstick vibe about it, and 1001 Nights which I went on to buy a full bottle of.

I am planning on using up my perfumes this year (or at least drawing right down on them) and hiding at the back of the cupboard those that I don't like to wear but don't like to throw out as they act as reference points for me.

My biggest surprise was the reformulation of Dior Poison which I found shocking. All I can say here is that any who loved the original must be feeling as disappointed as I do over the loss of Magie Noir.

I am not sure I know where to try next as I am definitely over sensitive to some of the modern aroma chemicals. What is that minty but not mint running through Madonna Truth or Dare Naked, making it smell so cold? What is that odd fruityness that can't be identified that is found in many perfumes? What is that woodyness that is very present, makes me feel unwell, and yet I can't really smell it - dreadful, feels like drifting into and out of consciousness. And what is it in some of these modern perfumes that makes them so difficult to wash off the skin (some surviving several days and showers) and so difficult to wash out of man made fibres? I have never had essential oils that won't wash off or out. Some perfumes I tested stuck to the skin so hard that I couldn't test another perfume on that patch for days!

Reading back through this post it all sounds rather negative and I think that reflects how I feel at the moment - flat.

There are some perfumes I really like that I would still like to test the newest formula (Phul Nana, Nuit de Noel, Caleche, Amazone, Magie Noir) just in case the manufacturer's pulled something out of the hat so that I could bring a long lost love back into my life.

Otherwise I think I can see myself not testing anything for at least a year.
8 years ago
Thank you all for your kind words about my mother's passing - she was amazing. She worked her way through law school in the late 1940's, a time when female attorneys were almost unheard of. She had difficulty finding a job despite being 1st in her class, because she wasn't a man, but was finally hired, became a full partner in the firm, and had a very successful career - and wore her Blue Grass throughout it!
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands Weekly Scent Discussion #24: Your Scent Journey of 2015.
Jump to