Search Forum

The magic of special occasions & your scent for it

The magic of special occasions & your scent for it 8 years ago
When our mothers or grandmothers had only a few perfumes, they were reserved for special occasions.

Now that we have a plethora of perfumes, and decants, and samples - the choice is not that simple

But, we can impose a certain discipline on ourselves to mark special occasions with special perfumes.

The idea for this topic came to me from fellow member ScentFan when she asked herself which three perfumes made her the happiest, in contrast to those that she respects and admires. Those, I suppose, are reserved for special occasions.

I have ordered "Divine" for Christmas. The package has arrived from France. But, the actual opening and unveiling so to speak will only be on Christmas morning, the 25th.

Do you, too, purposely postpone the pleasure and deliberately mark special days with certain scents?
8 years ago
I'm not big on special occasions. It is ridiculous to me to save anything, especially a perfume, for a special occasion. In my mind, no one us guaranteed a tomorrow and when I die, perfumes will be the things I will miss the most (as much as a dead person can miss anything, I suppose Smile).

I saw a perfume I have never heard of, with a huge pricetag (but not so huge that I would never buy it) called Star of the Season. That is something I would probably save for a special occasion. And I do give myself bottles that I would not normally buy for Christmas every year. Same as you, I save the wrapped box until the 25th.
8 years ago
Special Occasions? Another angle to consider. Not sure the three that make me happiest would be on this list. Well, Monegal's Kiss My Name would be on just about any list for me except daily wearing. What comes to mind are: First by Van Cleef & Arpels, Chanel's new Misia which is just glorious, and perhaps L'Heure Blue or Bal a Versailles. I've been collecting fairly avidly for a couple of years or more now and feel fortunate to have discovered so many I like. Deciding what to wear at any given moment can be a conundrum, if a happy one.
8 years ago
No such thing for me (anymore).
I grab for what my mood wants me to. Can be an expensive one or a cheapie....as long as it makes me feel good......to me perfume is an accessory, not a treasure to lock away for those rare moments that too often will not come anyway...
8 years ago
I have a sample of Enchanted Forest I wear On Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I also have a sample of Caron's N'Aimez Que Moi that I wear on my Birthday. My sample is almost gone though Sad I wear my vintage Tabu on my Grandmother's Birthday and on the anniversary of her death. I break out my beloved Black Cashmere on my Anniversary. I really wish I could afford another mouse bottle of this one. I really would like to wear it more.
8 years ago
I don't "save" these scents for special occasions but when particular occasions roll around I will always splash myself with certain perfumes. Christmas I will wear vintage spicy scents Bellodgia by Caron, Black Magic by Bombi and L'Origan by Coty.
On October 22, I wear Judith Muller's Bat Sheba (woody modern) in honour of her birthday.
And anytime I NEED to go out but look like hell I wear Oscar de la Renta...Because that just makes everything better Smile

Happy New Year!!!...xo
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands The magic of special occasions & your scent for it
Jump to