Search Forum

The 'symphony' of a perfume

The 'symphony' of a perfume 7 years ago
Does any-one recognize this ? For me music and perfume are one. While testing, testing , testing over and over again I need to be surrounded by music. To feel the passion, the dedication, the lower notes, the middle notes, the end of the accord. Loud and soft notes, calming and expressive notes and the experience of each time something new shows up. Perfume and any kind of music ( from classic, to rock, to soul, to dance-music) which attached your most inner feelings teach you more then words sometimes try to do.
At this moment it's this song (and a few others) and I'm not into hardrock at all, but this one is exactly what I prefer in a perfume, I hope you understand why.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4
7 years ago
I find it an interesting connectíon, perhaps a little pointing to synaesthesia, even though I never had heard about the olfactory+auditory combination Wink But why not, if there seem to be wine-lovers tasting while listening to music, or, simply enjoying meal outside in the beautiful nature with all its atmospherical scents and sounds (sorry if this comparison was too mundane.)

I am too easily distracted by any kind of music, so I wouldn't be able to concentrate on the fragrance. The way you describe it, must be a stunning experience of further immersion, I also like the song you chose... And since in some languages, a scent is "listened to" rather than "smelt", it indeed seems accurate to call it a "symphony" of blended sensation Smile
7 years ago
I agree, Symphony and perfume are the same and have a bond like brother & sister. They are so related that can bring sweet as well as bitter past and be remembered in memories. I’ll say different names but same rhythm, notes etc.
7 years ago
Thanks Anessa for your vision, no your comparison from scents and sounds is also personal and that's
what is it all about Smile . I can imagine when you got completely hit by music it's really tough to concentrate on a fragrance and so is the other way around too. It also depends on the mood you're in, sometimes it's easier to get lost, no matter in what form of art. Yes , I consider perfume as a form of art, to smell from the outside but it can touch you deep on the inside, just like music.
7 years ago
Hi Aafridi, ( thanks dear Hikmat, I hope you and your beautiful family are fine and well) exactly my thought on what you describe. This is a bond which is related to memories, feelings and emotions, deeply grounded or only to feel/smell/hear on the surface Smile .
7 years ago
Parfummaniac:
I can imagine when you got completely hit by music it's really tough to concentrate on a fragrance and so is the other way around too. It also depends on the mood you're in, sometimes it's easier to get lost, no matter in what form of art. Yes , I consider perfume as a form of art, to smell from the outside but it can touch you deep on the inside, just like music.

I saw an earlier article about fragrances matched with tea (intended to be worn while enjoying tea), and had to think whether there are fragrances to accompany tasting wines - it somewhat sounds counterproductive, but perhaps it's in the direction of "perfumes that go well with smoke/booze" etc.
For music and fragrances, I really wish I could concentrate so much as to delve deeply in both at the same time. However, it doesn't have to be even music but some kind of noise, and I can't concentrate on the smell (or hardly on anything else) Sad

I also do appreciate fragrances as art, or I tend to be drawn to those that seem to be art (while using 'functional' fragrances for every day), since my love for perfumes started as such (Diorissimo), but then, I wonder if scents of flowers in the nature are 'art' as well, when they can't be reproduced, even when they do not evoke deep or complex feelings inside, but only an instant euphoria? I have a flower especially in mind and haven't found any fragrance containing its smell yet.
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands The 'symphony' of a perfume
Jump to