Search Forum

Good books on perfume / perfumery

Good books on perfume / perfumery 11 years ago
"Sacred Scents" by Joanne Bassett is available on Amazon.com

When on that page, click on to the book image and start reading ...
11 years ago
Thanks, Pipette! There are so few good books about perfume. Right now, I'm reading The Perfume Lover: A Personal Story of Scent by Denyse Beaulieu, a book about B. Duchaufour's creation of L'Artisan's Seville a l'Aube.

The author is a good writer, but a really annoying person to me. (She gets one of the world's finest perfumers to work with her for free on making a perfume that captures a special time in her life. She spends a good deal of time being disappointed in him for not dropping all of his PAYING customers to work on her project. Also, lots about her adultery and her wearing of furs and Louboutins, none of which I wanted to know.) I'm hoping she writes another perfume-related book that is less about her. Rolling Eyes
6 years ago
I don't know Denyse that well but corresponded with her, way back when we did the petition. My impression was very positive, she's a lovely and very approachable lady - but that was just my experience.

Re literature, my personal favourite, once recommended to me by a perfumer, is Perfumery, Practice and Principles by Calkin and Jellinek.
Unfortunately it's out of print, so you'll have your work cut out finding it at a reasonable price ..

At Pia Long's blog, Volatile Fiction, I stumbled upon this fabulous compilation:

Level – enthusiast
- Perfumes, the A-Z Guide by Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez
- Emperor of Scent by Chandler Burr (an entertaining book about Luca Turin and the search for the secret behind scent.)
- The Perfect Scent (a year inside the perfume industry) by Chandler Burr
- Perfume, the Art and Craft of Fragrance by Karen Gilbert
- Le Snob: Perfume by Dariush Alavi (aka Persolaise)
- Scent and Subversion by Barbara Herman (aka Yesterday’s Perfume)
- Perfume, a Century of Scents by Lizzie Ostrom (aka Odette Toilette).

Level – nose-nerd
- What the Nose Knows by Avery Gilbert (a fantastic book about the sense of smell).
- The Secret of Scent by Luca Turin
- Perfume Legends: French Feminine Fragrances by Michael Edwards (this beautiful book is a must-have for perfume enthusiasts, sadly it's out of print).
- Fragrance by Edwin T. Morris (one of the best perfume history books around; out of print, so you need a bit of luck finding it).
- Perfume, a Global History (a good, if somewhat disjointed collection of essays on perfume history, compiled for the MIP perfume museum in Grasse).

Level – perfumer
- Introduction to Perfumery by Tony Curtis
- The Chemistry of Fragrances by Charles S. Sell
- The Chemistry of Essential Oils by David G. Williams
- Perfume and Flavor Materials of Natural Origin by Steffen Arctander
- Perfumery, Techniques in Evolution by Arcadi Boix Camps
- Scent and Chemistry – The Molecular World of Odours by Günther Ohloff, Wilhelm Pickenhagen and Philip Kraft

ShockedSmile
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands Good books on perfume / perfumery
Jump to