Search Forum

Perfume-related quotes

1 - 25 by 37
Perfume-related quotes 9 years ago
Here are some quotes I found in books related to perfume. Please add any you find.

“I’m not sure what it was or where she sprayed it, but her scent will be the end of the life I loved. And I will find comfort in the simpleness of sitting with her on a Saturday afternoon with nothing else to do.”
― Darnell Lamont Walker, Book of She

“The amount of perfume she had on was like a human sacrifice on Incense Night.”
― Stephen Moles, Life.exe

“After we became a couple, she composed our time together. She planned days as if they were artistic events. One afternoon we went to Tybee Island for a picnic; we ate blueberries and drank champagne tinted with curacao and listened to Miles Davis, and when I asked the name of her perfume, she said it was L'Heure Bleue.

She talked about 'perfect moments.' One such moment happened that afternoon; she'd been napping; I lay next to her, reading. She said, 'I'll always remember the sounds of the sea and of pages turning, and the smell of L'Heure Bleue. For me they signify love.”
― Susan Hubbard, The Society of S
Last edited by Briarthorn on 13.05.2015, 12:19; edited 1 time in total
9 years ago
"The perfume and the bra* are the best inventions, they bring the best up and you closer to your partner"

from my unwritten book "journey to the center of the cat" Smile

*wonderbra
sweet fragrance, I was perfumed 9 years ago
"From his brown and golden fur
Comes such sweet fragrance that one night
I was perfumed with it because
I caressed him once, once only".
Charles Baudelaire poem "The Cat"
purrr
9 years ago
“Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”
Marian Bendeth
9 years ago
or a similar version
From her blond and dark-haired fur comes a perfume so sweet, that one evening I fell under its spell, for petted it once, only once.
Charles Baudelaire, Fleur du Mal 1857
9 years ago
I'm more a tv person

Patrick Jane, the gifted police consultant from The Mentalist sniffs a ripped off finger/hand that lies on the highway. He says: "This smells of jasmine, this woman wore J'Adore."

And in Breaking Bad DEA cop Hank Schrader inspects the car of a meth cook/drug dealer. The cop: "this smells like a Drakkar factory!"

Very Happy
9 years ago
"The only thing I have left to remember her by is the scent of her perfume. I just broke into her car and stole the bottle."
~ Jarod Kintz, 99 Cents For Some Nonsense ~
9 years ago
Some great quotes here, TRhe meth heads car was funny, so was stealing the bottle!
9 years ago
When I read "Madame Bovary" by Gustave Flaubert, there was a passage of her soft perfume filling the air, the whole room.

But Google search did not reveal that passage, but other references did.
9 years ago
"Many perfumes promise to lure men to women. None of them smell of motherhood. None of them proclaim the wearer to be tidy, thrifty, and sensible."
~ Janette Rallison, My Fair Godmother ~
8 years ago
Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth -
For your love is better than wine.
Because of the fragrance of your good ointments,
Your name is ointment poured forth;
Therefore the virgins love you.
Lead me away!
(Song of Solomon)
6 years ago
Perfume can instigate an instant intimacy with a complete stranger.
~ Marian Bendeth, Sixth Scents ~
6 years ago
She smelled the way the Taj Mahal looks by moonlight.

--Raymond Chandler, The Little Sister--
6 years ago
"...What hath come over thee, Guerlain?
If thou wished to bereave me of my speech, thou hast well suceeded.
Alas, not by thine perfume."
― quote of myself, after hearing the latest news.
6 years ago
I take it you're not a Jeremy fan, Anessa? Wink

Elle ne porte rien
D’autre qu’un peu
D’essence de Guerlain
Dans les cheveux...

Serge Gainsbourg
6 years ago
Is it perfume from a dress
That makes me so digress?

T. S. Eliot
6 years ago
Aah. You caught me there, Cryptic SmileLaughing I think some types just don't have affinities (mutually).
I am sure that, if I were an animal, I would be a slow-moving vegetarian, like a cow or an elephant (the African variation).
Accordingly, I don't get on with animals that hunt others Wink

A rather famous one from the (initially) romantic-idealistic protagonist:

“If only there could be an invention that bottled up a memory, like scent. And it never faded, and it never got stale. And then, when one wanted it, the bottle could be uncorked, and it would be like living the moment all over again.”
― Daphne du Maurier, Rebecca
6 years ago
What I remember about Rebecca is all the mentions of white azalea, which was the scent of Rebecca's perfume.

"And so he would now study perfumes and the secrets of their manufacture, distilling heavily scented oils and burning odorous gums from the East. He saw that there was no mood of the mind that had not its counterpart in the sensuous life, and set himself to discover their true relations, wondering what there was in frankincense that made one mystical, and in ambergris that stirred one's passions, and in violets that woke the memory of dead romances, and in musk that troubled the brain, and in champak that stained the imagination; and seeking often to elaborate a real psychology of perfumes, and to estimate the several influences of sweet-smelling roots and scented, pollen-laden flowers; of aromatic balms and of dark and fragrant woods; of spikenard, that sickens; of hovenia, that makes men mad; and of aloes, that are said to be able to expel melancholy from the soul."

-- Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
6 years ago
Thank you for the passages, Cryptic Smile Both Rebecca's perfume and Dorian Gray studying perfumes completely slipped out of my mind. Although I remember strong scents of flowers are mentioned often, and him dealing with opium, of course (although, not the Opium, but I suppose he might've liked it?)
Very accurate, as always, from the dandy, and regarding "and in musk that troubled the brain" yes yes yes! Now I know why I don't like it and can be proud that great O.Wilde shares my sentiment SurprisedWink

The other quote I learnt in the German forum thread should be by Oscar Wilde as well, but I can't find the source in English: "Komplimente sind wie Parfüm. Sie dürfen duften, aber nie aufdringlich werden." >- "Compliments are like perfumes. They should be fragrant, but never become obtrusive."

"Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it." ― Mark Twain
6 years ago
Cryptic, that's a lovely one!

I have my doubts about it being an Oscar Wild quote, Anessa. Wink
"I don't like compliments, and I don't see why a man should think he is pleasing a woman enormously when he says to her a whole heap of things that he doesn't mean."
~ Oscar Wild ~
But I too read it somewhere: "Compliments are like perfumes. They may be fragrant but never obtrusive."

"Women waste so much time wearing no perfume. As for me, in every step that I have taken in life, I have been accompanied by an exquisite perfume!"
~ C. JoyBell C.~
6 years ago
My pleasure, Anessa. Did you catch the part about hovenia driving men mad?

Excellent quotes and bits of wisdom, Mia. Smile

"Only the uncannily beautiful, a strange friendship, a painting, an airplane wing, a melody, an abstract perfume can hold our attention for long. The last thing art wants to do is imitate nature. Nature imitates itself well enough already."

-- Luca Turin, Folio Columns 2003-2014
6 years ago
“Suddenly he was inside the radius of her perfume and kissing her breathlessly.”
― F. Scott Fitzgerald, First Blood
6 years ago
Very Happy Sounds like spring fever, Cincy. Wink

"To attract men, I wear a perfume called 'New Car Interior'."
~ Rita Rudner ~
6 years ago
@Mia, regarding the alleged O.Wilde quote, I had come to doubt it too. I wonder what the original source is.

@Cryptic, I never had heard about hovenia and had to look up. I think I don't need that one, there are mad men enough! I rather need an antidote.

By the way, Mugler's "Aura" has such a troubling, mind-fogging and numbing effect on me. Perhaps some of the mentioned substances are included. And my free quote after Othello would be:
"Aura...it is the green-coloured heart-shaped monster that doth mock my poor nose and brain"

Cincy's quote sounds like a timeless script for perfume ads.
6 years ago
Anessa:
Cincy's quote sounds like a timeless script for perfume ads.

Well put, Anessa, it does. Smile

"Fragrance is my favorite thing. So much so that if I leave the house and I don't put any on, I'll turn around and go back home."
~ Meghan Markle ~
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands Perfume-related quotes
1 - 25 by 37
Jump to