Search Forum

Fendi Substitute?

Fendi Substitute? 5 years ago
Hello noses!

My mother-in-law had a perfume called "Fendi by Fendi" and she asked me to find something alike or similar. Since I have no clue how that smelt like, I will have to ask you, the bearers of magnificent wisdom, Parfumo forum users - what would be a good fragrance for her?

She keeps telling me "I don't like smelling like flowers, I guess I like more masculine scents" and was genuinely shocked by the notes listed here on Parfumo.
"So many flowers!!!" ("My life is a lie!" Etc) ;-p

I plan to give her a set of testers and decants for her 65 birthday, so she can try to find her old/new friend "Fendi"
. She is such a lovely person and I hope I could find her something she likes.

So, what do you think? Any suggestions?

Anything, even vague resemblance are very welcome too.

Much love!
Fembo

Edit:
I found out that she is currently using and enjoys okay is "Naomi Campbell" and the notes listed that correspond to Fendi are

-Top: Bergamot, Mandarin
-Heart: Jasmine, lily of the valley, rose
-Base: Amber, Tonka bean, Musk, sandelwood, vanilla, ceder.

And "spices" vs pink pepper.
5 years ago
I assume you mean "Fendi (eau de toilette)"? I know, is there any other since it's viewed as a holy grail scent? I've not tried it but I'd like to! Your mother-in-law has excellent taste!

I was taking a look at the perfumes listed as similar and noticed a few names thrown out there: "Rose Musc", "Les Merveilles - Velourosa", and "Gucci Oud". As far as notes go, you might want to check out "Knowing". The rose and spice profile seem to be in the same familial structure.

I feel your mother-in-law's frustration. One of my all-time favorite perfumes is "Fantasia". I've yet to find anything like it so I've been forced to buy used bottles off of eBay. I'm just relieved prices for it haven't gone completely insane.

Best of luck and let us know what you've chosen! Very Happy
Fendi substitute? 5 years ago
Oh, this is so difficult. I have some Fendi but the US postal service has made it impossible to ship outside the US without a commercial permit. (I don't take lying on government forms lightly.)

Although there are flowers listed in Fendi, I don't notice them at all. To me, it's all about the nutmeg, coriander, and wood. When I try to think of other scents that have something in common with it, I can only think of others from that era, which are also hard to find. Is it at all possible that you can find it on Swedish eBay? (There are bottles of it on US eBay.)

I see a lot of people on another site comparing it to Teatro alla Scala (which I've never smelled) -- but I think you would also have to find that on eBay or a sales site like that.

The original version of Opium, while it doesn't smell the same as Fendi, has a similar spicy, bold scent of the 1980s. Somebody who likes Fendi would probably like the original Opium. (The recent Opium isn't bad, but it's not very close to the original.) Belle d'Opium, which came out just a few years ago, is closer to the original Opium, actually. I think it has also been discontinued but, since it was produced more recently, it might be easier to find a good bottle of it.

Ah -- here's an idea -- what about Estee Lauder Cinnabar? It's still in production and hasn't been changed much from its original bold, spicy 1980s self.

Oh -- or another possibility if she doesn't mind a strong amaretto note -- Cartier Le Baiser du Dragon -- it has that powerful, spicy presence from the 1980s, with a patchouli underlay as Fendi does. It may even still be in production. I see LOTS of it on US eBay. Although it has a 1980s style, it is from 2003.

I hope these ideas help. It's wonderful that you are trying so hard to find something your mom-in-law will love! (By the way, Fendi came in an edt and an edp formulation. I strongly prefer the edt.)
Notify about new comments
Jump to