Search Forum

Sniff Fest - 100BON

Sniff Fest - 100BON 5 years ago

Hello Parfumo Cohorts

Having discovered 100B0N from Fluxit's Blog entitled, "An Overview of 100+Natural Perfumery Brands," I acquired samples, sniffed two, and resolved to find time to write a sniff fest of the line. It's been a while since a perfume house inspired me like this. My first thought was that these have the clarity and sophistication of Louis Vuitton's new perfumes, designed by none other than Jacques Cavallier-Belletrud, who is responsible for some of the greats like Poeme and L'Eau d'Issey--both in my collection along with his divine Ultraviolet he did Paco Rabanne. So my first question was: who in the world is the nose behind these darlings?

First, they're French, as can be guessed by the name. They say they are "the first French perfume manufacturer 100% dedicated to natural ingredients ... The perfumes are designed and developed in Grasse, in line with the rules of the trade for fine fragrances." Perhaps that's the resemblance to Cavallier-Belletrud who was born in Grasse into a family of perfumers. 100BON has shops in Lyon, no mention of the designer. Wait. Obviously it's a team,, as shown by the different names on our website for 100BON perfumers. Ah! They are from or collaborate with Robertet, "founded in 1850 in Grasse...the world leader in natural aromatic raw materials." Mystery solved. It's the nose-friendly version of IFF.

Is 100BON a revolt then? A resurrection of what French perfumery once was before the 2014 EU regulations? if so, I embrace their aromatic armor. Now to the delightful sniffing.

Just one today because I've already splashed this all over me. I suspect it will be perfectly accurate to just say brilliant or marvelous or mesmerizing for each.

"Agrumes & Trésor Aromatique "
100BON's website lists these notes for this one.

Top note: Orange, Citrus, Basil, Ginger, Rosemary
Core note: Lavender, Sage
Bottom note: Patchouli, Vetiver, Cedar, Vanilla

This is a perfume for those who want to be bathed in alluring freshness. It's a citrusy-herbal wonder, seduction in the kitchen, the woody-vanilla base changing it from a mere herb garden to a trellis beneath which a fashion show is underway. The unisex label is accurate because a man or woman could easily wear it. When would I? During the day, anywhere. At night I'd want indoles of some kind. Conclusion? If I weren't already certain I'll be buying multiple others of this line, the fabulous Agrumes & Trésor Aromatique would already be in my basket for checkout.

Stay tuned for coming reviews of:

Amaretto & Framboise Poudrée
Bergamote & Rose Sauvage
Carvi & Jardin de Figuier
Cèdre & Iris Soyeux
Cèdre & Néroli Lumineux
Davana & Vanille Bourbon
Eau de Thé & Gingembre
Elemi & Ambre Noir
Fleur d'Oranger & Santal Délicat
Gingembre & Vétiver Sensuel
Jasmin & Ylang Solaire
L'Eau du Parc
Labdanum & Pur Patchouli
Maquis Exquis & Immortelle
Mimosa & Héliotrope Poudré
Nagaranga & Santal Citronné
Néroli & Petit Grain Printanier
Oud Wood & Amyris
Tonka & Amande Absolue
5 years ago
Continuing...

It's such a pleasure to experience high quality in multiple offerings from a single house.

"Amaretto & Framboise Poudrée"
Amaretto and raspberry powder is an apt description of this one. It's a well-done fruit and candy scent suitable for a young woman with a liking for non-trashy frivolity. Not my thing, but I admire the execution.

"Bergamote & Rose Sauvage"
Now THIS is for me! Verbena and Geranium add an edgy greenness to this rose that rests with cherry blossom on a languid bed of vanilla. No candy sweetness here, more the allure of "nice" women old enough to take lovers. I find it just plain mesmerizing. FB for sure.

"Carvi & Jardin de Figuier"
Whoa! Oh wow. What is this? Fig with flowers including Jasmine. my favorite floral. Caraway, Cedar, Mandarin, Blood orange and more. These fragrances have the kind of clarity I want to smell all day and bask in the notes, like I do in Sumberhouse fragrances, yet most of those I just want to sniff rather than wear. These I want on my body. This one is sweet, but interesting, because of the fig and caraway, i.e., if I smelled it on someone else I'd ask what they're wearing. I'll have to test it again to decide if I need an FB. It's certainly good.

More to come.
Last edited by ScentFan on 09.06.2019, 21:05; edited 1 time in total
5 years ago
Back at Last. First the two Cedars

Cèdre & Iris Soyeux

My first reaction when I put it on skin, was literally, "Oh... oh!" Then I realized I was reacting to the sweet citrus top notes, two of my faves, Orange and Neroli. This one isn't as penetratingly heady as in the perfume I wore yesterday, Kiss My Name. Here the heavily cedar heart -- sweet unscratchy cedar, too -- tones down potential shouts as do dignified Iris and powder. The base does just what it should with mild tobacco, a lovely Frankincense and a green whiff from Vetiver. Add the sweetness of Benzoin and this scent comes across as both sedate and somehow distinguished. A bit powdery, a bit sweet obviously, but nowhere close to cloying, IMO, after just a short while. It is, of course, well done. I doubt if I'll find even one offensive note in this entire line. What it may come down to is preference alone, rather than quality. As in all naturals, longevity is medium, but who cares. I'll happily reapply. Probably an FB for me, but Bergamote & Rose Sauvage still reigns so far. Hubby's take? "That's not bad."
Cèdre & Néroli Lumineux

Well, at first it feels a bit medicinal, doesn't sweep me off my feet. Lingering, I am reminded of Bogue's MEM, if less complex. Turns out they do have Petitgrin in common, Cedar and Sandalwood. Neroli here is Mandarin there. If I'd never smelled MEM I'd be intrigued. Again, the quality is high, but I'll pass on this one. Hubby didn't like it at all.

Davana & Vanille Bourbon

Ah, Davana. I find I have no sample of you in my essential oil collection. An oversight. Eden Botanicals says you are: "an aroma that remains powerful, even when highly diluted. Its aroma is exceptionally rich, penetrating and very fruity/boozy, and sweetly herbaceous with warm wood undertones and a slight camphoraceous note... extremely tenacious character." Loving things agreeably tenacious in perfume as I do, I am intrigued. I let hubby smell it first. He says, "Oh, yeah. I like it, but it's kind of candy store." More intriguing. Searching on parfumo, I see I own no perfume with this note. How thrilling. Something to discover. Drum roll. Gosh, I love it--similar to the way I love Neil Morris's Afire and Serge Lutens' La Myrrhe in their yummy, musky, woody, resinous sweetness. If my nose detects correctly, Davana is what makes this divine. Two orders required. This lovely perfume and a small sample of Davana essential oil to further educate my nose.

Stay tuned for coming sniffs . . .
Last edited by ScentFan on 09.06.2019, 21:04; edited 2 times in total
5 years ago
How is it I'm just now noticing this thread?! Sheesh...

I'm getting a kick out of reading your thoughts. Thank you for sharing your impressions thus far. I haven't had a lot of luck with natural perfumes but I'm always open to trying new ones. I want to blind buy Davana & Vanille Bourbon based on your review. Jasmin & Ylang Solaire sounds like my kind of scent; I'm anxiously awaiting your thoughts on that one.
5 years ago
Glad you’re enjoying it, Exciter76. I expect to be buying their Jasmin & Ylang as well. Hope to continue soon. It’s such a delight to explore perfumes of this quality.
5 years ago
The next three . . .

Eau de Thé & Gingembre

Hubby likes it, no doubt because of the prominent ginger and supporting grapefruit, spice & citrus long being hallmarks of male perfumes. I would like to smell it on him, not on me, because in spite of Jasmine and Vanilla, this isn't feminine enough for me. No need to add it's well done and a pleasure to smell.

Elemi & Ambre Noir

Excited to try this because I adore Elemi. It's a resin that captivated me on first whiff long ago. i also spy swoon-inducing labdanum as well as Jasmine and Ylang ylang among the notes. Testing. Oh my. To my nose this one doesn't work. What a shame. The various richnesses clash with, rather than support, each other--keeping any from standing out. It's not offensive, of course from this house, but also not especially beautiful. Those into dankness might enjoy it.
Fleur d'Oranger & Santal Délicat

Let's see what we have here. Orange and Sandalwood? Oh, that's the base. it's quite agreeable. Freesia and Bergamot in the top, Lilac and Geramium in the heart. Hubby calls it light, cool and candy-like, frivolous. For me the flowers are, together, a tad too sweet--the feel of Tuberose without the charm.

Note about Bergamote & Rose Sauvage - i keep returning to this fragrance, trying to analyze its appeal. Then it struck me. Somehow, this is a distinctly carnal rose. It seems to be Geranium that, without the help of a single animalic. turns this rose feral. It wants to scent a woman wearing a red dress, or get entangled with her in satin bed sheets. Definitely need the 30 ml for this one, to apply and reapply.
Last edited by ScentFan on 17.06.2019, 07:26; edited 1 time in total
5 years ago
More, more . . .

Gingembre & Vétiver Sensuel

This one's a winner, a fresh and sensual aroma. Hubby loves it and I, do, too. For him. To me, this is a superior Fougère.

Jasmin & Ylang Solaire

I'm disappointed not to adore this one. I think it's the Spearmint and Clove that put me off. For me they are too-spicey additions that prevent swooning over the indoles of Jasmine and Ylang-ylang.

L'Eau du Parc

Interesting. Here Spearmint works, lending an edge to the languid florals in the heart: Orange blossom & Violet. Vetiver and Patchouli pull up the rear. This is a fragrance I'd want to wear on a day when all seems complex and undecipherable. With its well-done citrus & Petigrain top, it's a truly sophisticated beauty. Hubby said "it would smell good on you or you would smell good on it." Either way, FB

Labdanum & Pur Patchouli

The Labdanum & Patchouli are off-putting to me at first. It's labelled an earthy chypre which seems right because the heart is the patchouli-vetiver mix that passes for oakmoss these day. If you want to smell like a forest floor, this could be the scent. Again, it's a matter of preference, not quality.

Maquis Exquis & Immortelle

Well, okay. I like Immortelle. Isn't it that yellow flower they drape all over sacred objects, places and people in India? Aromatherapists say it's good for healing and spiritual growth. It has a dank sort of appeal. Whatever macquis exquis is--Mediterranean underbrush?--it smells distinguished. This makes for an interesting scent, hard to peg. Hubby dislikes it. I don't find it disagreeable, just unusual. It's not something i'd wear, though it does have a certain impossible-to-name appeal.

To be continued . . .
5 years ago
Approaching the end of this sniff fest is a mixed blessing. Happily i've so far discovered three new loves: Bergamote & Rose Sauvage, Davana Vanille & bourbon,and l'eau du Parc. But soon I'll have no new 100BONs to sniff!

Mimosa & Héliotrope Poudré

A pleasant and somehow familiar scent. The almond note stands out, as does the "cherry pie" of Heliotrope atop Vanilla and Tonka in the base with Cedar. The other florals--Mimosa, Jasmine, Rose--play second fiddle. This smells like Mom preparing pies in the kitchen on a holiday, guests about to arrive, so she's wearing a powdery perfume. A very nice and comforting smell. Not an FB for me, but it's appealing.

Myrrhe & Encens Mystérieux

Ah! A nicely-done resinous woody one. I really like the Myrrh, balanced so well by Patchouli and Papyrus. Bergamot and Cinnamon in the top add brightness, as do the "fresh notes," whatever they are. Tonka and Frankincense in the base create creamy smokiness. Were I a Wiseman heading for the manger, I'd be confident in presenting this gift. When would I wear it? Not sure, but I want some around to have the option.

Nagaranga & Santal Citronné

The woods are strong here as are the citrus. Yet something, perhaps the cardamom, reminds me of shoe polish at first, though this note mutes after a while. The composition as a whole is smooth, it's not for me..

Néroli & Petit Grain Printanier

A strong Jasmine in the heart with both Neroli & Orange Blossom, introduced by a powerhouse citrus top and all sitting on a bed of Vanilla and Petitgrain. Nice. I'd snap it up if I didn't already have several that are similar to this.

Oud Wood & Amyris

I adore Amyris for the luxury it adds to perfume. Here it swiftly disappears, as does the Oud, in a somewhat nondescript muddle of wood and flower and spice. Only the pink pepper, tickling my nose, stands out when I wait a while then inhale deeply.

Tonka & Amande Absolue

A lovely Vanilla scent. The interesting top of citrus, almond, fruit and liquor swiftly steps aside. Rose & Jasmine in the heart come through subtly to support the delightful vanilla/tonka base, Cedar there is right at the edge of overbearing, but it doesn't cross over. If I were into vanilla, I'd buy it.

Conclusion

So I can drown in it at will, 50 ml of Bergamote & Rose Sauvage is already on the way, thanks to hubby. What I want to put in my cart right now are 50 ml of both Eau du Parc and Davana Vanille & Bourbon, and 15 ml of Agrumes & Trésor Aromatique, Carvi & Jardin de Figuier, Cèdre & Iris Soyeux, and Myrrhe & Encens Mystérieux! We'll see what happens.

Off to get on the mailing list to make sure I don't miss any new 100BONs. Will update this thread if I do.

Bye for now.
5 years ago
Thanks for sharing all these impressions! Happy to see that our blog post has an impact Smile
I wasn't as impressed as you with this brand. But for all-naturals, they are very affordable and have a broad range of scents. I'm definitely still interested in other peoples' opinions about all-naturals and am happy to give recommendations (rather via PN as I rarely visit the English forum).
5 years ago
Tonka & Amande Absolue sounds heavenly to me. Seems like a perfect mix for my taste. Looking forward to trying it.
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands Sniff Fest - 100BON
Jump to