Search Forum

How much is too much?

How much is too much? 5 years ago
Just curious, seems that this is a very opinionated subject (how many shots do you spray) and I was just wondering what you guys think.

P.S. I go with 3-4
5 years ago 2
I'm a two-spray girl usually, three to four sprays if it's weak.
5 years ago 2
Same here as Exciter Smile
For me, it strongly depends on the kind of fragrance and the circumstances (season, place, time of the day).
An EDC strength in the summer would be sprayed like a body mist about 3-4 times+touching up.
Since I usually do not want my fragrances to project, a moderately 'strong' one (subjective perception) would be worn once, max. twice under clothes.

Concerning your title about how much - if the elevator or public transport is filled with the scent, if I smell someone's trail minutes after the person's gone or has just passed by (no matter in the open air or a room), I would consider this as 'over-spray'.
If I have to sit next to or behind someone at the theatre/cinema/opera whatnot and can't concentrate on the stage because of the scent of this person during the whole performance, I would regard this as a result of over-spraying as well.
5 years ago 1
Once. Only ever once.
5 years ago 2
Depends entirely on the perfume.

My Fracas I only spray about half a spray (it's got a good controllable spray head). I think it is the strongest perfume I own.

My Aromatics Elixir one from the old bottle and two from the new (which I only wear around the house as it turns to Marmite on my skin - why?).

My latest acquisition, Vol de Nuit edt, I can spray with gay abandon as it has (I am reliably told) zero projection on me which ties in with my experience of it of only being able to smell it if I stick my nose up close or if I am getting a bit hot under the collar.

I complimented my neighbour the other day on her perfume (which was really very nice) as it was quite noticeable standing three feet from her in the street. Imagine my embarrassment when she said she didn't have any on and it must be her hairspray or soap. Oops.
5 years ago 1
Normally 2 sprays on the collarbone and one for myself on the wrist Smile

Only the fm Musc ravageur was once to much on my skin
5 years ago 1
Good morning, folks.
I am a total savage. Just this morning, I doused myself with five - yes, five - sprays of Dior Addict (2014), and this is typical behavior for me.
I can't even admit how many times I'll spray a much lighter fragrance!
5 years ago 1
Actually I hardly ever smell people with too much perfume, excepting the powerful smell of washing powders and soft rinses. So I think a lot of whether something is too much is also what a person is used to smelling. Like my neighbour with hair spray that I thought was strong perfume.
5 years ago 1
AFreimann:
Good morning, folks.
I am a total savage. Just this morning, I doused myself with five - yes, five - sprays of Dior Addict (2014), and this is typical behavior for me.

That will change when You do this with niche, like a roja dove or frederic malle Smile
5 years ago 1
Djdani:
AFreimann:
Good morning, folks.

That will change when You do this with niche, like a roja dove or frederic malle Smile

Perhaps; although I own a bottle of Linari Angelo di Fiume and find myself spraying away like a maniac with that one, too Shocked
5 years ago 1
AFreimann:
Good morning, folks.

Hahaha! I had to laugh at "total savage"! I find I spray more liberally when I'm alone. I need my neighbors to know I'm wearing "Incense Rose"!
5 years ago 1
Exciter76:
AFreimann:
Good morning, folks.

Hahaha! I had to laugh at "total savage"! I find I spray more liberally when I'm alone. I need my neighbors to know I'm wearing "Incense Rose"!

That's awesome!!! I'm a homebody and daily create a scent-bubble.
Could be that I need to take a few days off of wearing perfume to refresh the old sniffer? Confused that might be awful, to go without fragrance... even for a brief time.
5 years ago 1
AFreimann:
Good morning, folks.

I am with you on this. It does depend on where I am and what I am doing, though. 4 sprays of most scents, one if it is a Francesca Bianchi scent or Bouquet Oud, or upwards of 5 for many others.

My work environment is a smelly one. Burnt clutches, brake pads, diesel and BO in summer. Many perfumes are totally overwhelmed by these environmental smells, so I have to go a bit loud.

At home, I tend to stick to more conservative spray levels.
5 years ago 1
Perfume extrait one, edp or edt 2-4
4 years ago 1
Much depends on the intensity of the fragrance.

There are fragrances that with 3 sprays is enough and others with 10 are not.

For me strong fragances 4 sprays.
Medium fragances 6/7
Week fragances +8/9
3 years ago 1

It depends. If I'm at work, I spray one or two sprays of something light. If I'm at home, I spray all over copious amounts. If I know I'll be on a public transport, I mostly avoid overspraying, as I once spent a horrendous bus journey behind a guy who clearly loved his cologne, I unfortunately didn't Smile So it's all about when and where Smile

3 years ago 1

1 spray for three day. 🙃

3 years ago 1

Typically one on the wrist and one in the neck. Even less with the stronger perfumes.

In my opinion, heavy sillage doesn't make you smell better, in the same sense that thick layers of make-up don't make you look prettier.

'overspray' is 'overkill'

3 years ago 3

Just don't follow Jeremy Fragrance instructions on this topic 🤣

2 years ago 1

I like odd numbers so I stick with five sprays, but I do add another two if I want to expand my scent bubble if the fragrance longevity is short.

1 year ago 1

Depends on the perfume and also sprayers are very different.

2-3 would be my standard. 1 for strong scents, 4 and more for some light sommer colognes.

I rarely get comments. No idea if because it is not noticeable or people in my environment just don't comment much. My sister sometimes complains ist's too much, but she seems to be oversensitive (which doesn't keep her from wearing disgusting Eternity (Eau de Parfum)Eternity Eau de Parfum herself)

1 year ago 1

Lol, I very rarely go less than 5 sprays and will often use 7 to 8 sprays.

If I go less than 5, that's because the scents are extremely loud and longlasting. Oud for glory would be an exemple of this...3 to 4 spays and 10 hours later I still fill up a room.

1 year ago 1

I very rarely go less than 8. Only when it's something really strong and I'm to stay inside. When it's a freshie it's usually 10 or 20. 

1 year ago 1

2 sprays max for strong ones. I never spray on the skin though, I spray the inside of my clothes.

Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfume Discussions How much is too much?
Jump to