Search Forum

The Year Was 2007

The Year Was 2007 4 years ago
In 2007, J-P Guerlain had composed and released his last creation for the house of Guerlain, Spiritueuse Double Vanille. That same year Tom Ford released Olivier Guillotin's composition Tobacco Vanille. I have read dozens of reviews (more of SDV than of TB), and am curious to know how long each fragrance was in development, and which one was actually released first. Does anyone here know?

It seems extremely coincidental that two such similar fragrances should be launched at the same time. I cannot help but wonder about the possibility of corporate espionage in such cases, or was it just the zeitgeist of the that time?

SDV was the last composition J-P Guerlain bequeathed us from the eternal house of Guerlain, and for that fact alone, I am intrigued by it even though I am not a vanilla fiend. I do like vanilla as a note, but as notes go, it is probably not in my top ten, perhaps not even in my top 20. SDV's note pyramid, which is only a general allusion to the actual notes, lists frankincense, rose, ylang-ylang, benzoin, and jasmine, and just the combination of these makes me salivate! I love all of these notes, and I am very keen to discover how J-P has combined them with dark, rich, unsweetened vanilla and rum notes. After all, Guerlain and Vanilla are virtually synonymous in the world of fragrance.

Many reviewers state that SDV and TV are exceedingly similar but that TV is brasher, projects much more, and leaves behind a strong sillage whereas SDV is more refined, subdued, and elegant. SDV's scent bubble is much closer, and its sillage is more discrete. That certainly sounds like a Guerlain creation to me!

So far, I have not smelt either one, but I will soon be able to smell SDV, and I can hardly wait. Until then, all of these questions are buzzing around inside my head. Any thoughts you may have on both or one of these will be welcomed, especially if you have any information to contribute re the release date of 2007. I find that much the coincidence(?) and very intriguing. Thanks. Smile
Notify about new comments
Jump to