Search Forum

A collection of contradictions

A collection of contradictions 4 years ago
Hi there,

for the longest time I have been searching for a 'signature' scent, but have never quite found one that really, truly suited me.

I think this may be due to myself being a multifaceted person with relatively contradictory and obscure traits than one would probably usually associate with me upon first meeting me or knowing me superficially.

For example, I would describe myself as having a classy and 'girly' appearance and enjoy playing around with makeup and fashion. Although I do love a cute short dress, delicate jewellery paired with natural make-up, I could also not go without my chunky platform Doc Martens, high waisted black jeans and crop tops. The latter probably more closely reflects my love for probably the heaviest techno; which I would travel across borders for (but at the same time love brunch and cocktails Razz). Underground clubs are my secret love-affair (coming from quite a 'posh' background), and where I do not mind a more skin revealing atmosphere, if you know what I mean Wink (aka body positive/Sex positive). I should probably also mention that I am a very slender girl of merely 50kg that loves Rugby.

Thus, to conclude, I am looking for a scent that reflects these perhaps not asobvious traits. Razz
4 years ago
I think that something unisex could be an answer, just for curiosity, what fragrances did you try as signature? And what was wrong with them? Smile

Answering these two interrogatives could help us suggesting better.
4 years ago
Thats an idea. Any specific recommendations?

Erm, I‘ve mainly tried many flowery, sweeter perfumes I would say. Girl of now by Ellie Saab , Coco Mademoiselle and Dahlia by Givency (which I like a lot). That one has jasmine and a bit of depth it it. However, not the one haha

I also quite like the smell of vanilla perfumes, but feel like any that I’ve tried ended up smelling like candy ???? ????
4 years ago
Hmm, you sound like me when I was young. I found my happiness in vintage perfumes. I reveled in strong classics, such as Coco (the 1984 one, not Mlle), Cinnabar, and Youth Dew. I found these scents better suited my Docs and Creepers better than the gauzy offerings, like Sunflowers and CK One, which were all the rage when I was young. If classics aren't your cup of tea check out indies and niche. Not all niche are expensive; take a look at Smell Bent or Olympic Orchids for something original and affordable. And certainly, let us know what you find! Smile
4 years ago
Vintage does sound enticing! I might try one of those. Thank you very much ! Yes ! That is exactly how I feel with the current counterparts !
4 years ago
Try Dior Dolce Vita. It might be the one ????
4 years ago
Thank you for all your contributions. I went with the unisex recommendation and tried ordered Grand Soir by Francis Kurkdjan - so we shall see ! ???? I will keep the others on my radar for sure. Thank you!
4 years ago
Try "Ombre Indigo". Has nothing to do with those you have tried before. Reading your post I had to think of it. Just out of the blue, no idea why.

Truly unisex by the way.
4 years ago
Ou! Sounds like an intuition! I should give it a try !!
4 years ago
You may also try Decadence by Marc Jacobs. I smelled it yesterday for the first time. Hadn't it been for recommendations from the fragrance community I wouldn't havet tried it ever because of the borderline kitschy bottle. But the smell is unique and contradictory indeed. It is feminine, sweet, floral, fruity but has some distinct woodiness giving it an almost unisex quality, dark and mysterious.
4 years ago
i would say shalimar guerlain
4 years ago
Ou! Both recommendations sound great! I really ought to give them a try! Thank you
4 years ago
AlbertooL:
i would say shalimar guerlain

I totally agree with this. It's smoky, sweet but not in a de rigueur gourmand way, and carnally funky in the best possible way. Smile
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfume Recommendations A collection of contradictions
Jump to