Search Forum

Rose and Incense

1 - 25 by 26
Rose and Incense 10 years ago
This is a genre I seem to like and which could have made up an extra category in the rose sniff fest.
Spontaneously these three scents come to my mind as rose scents with noticeable incense note:

Incense rose by Tauer
Portrait of a Lady
Sideris

How would you compare these scents, what are the similarities, what are the differences? Can you think of more scents that fit this category?
10 years ago
I've only smelled Portrait of a Lady, but I would like to point you to "Paestum Rose". Due to the incense it's rather dark, ashy and dry, which makes it quite unique. Though I have to admit it's too ashy for my taste.
10 years ago
I think Sideris is miles ahead of the other three mentioned so far. It's surprising, but familiarly churchy, and still beautiful.

I don't know PoaL or Paestum Rose very well, but they never hit me very hard from the counter.

Incense Rose is completely different and very very Tauer. Personally I can't tolerate that loud Tauer base, but he has plenty of devotees.
10 years ago
"Paestum Rose" didn't impress me that much either. I love "Portrait of a Lady" and "No. 06 - Incense Rose" is amongst my favourite Tauers. "Sideris" I can't comment on but will have to check it out, Signora Gentile's creations usually appeal to me.
Adding to the list: ELdO's "Rien", though it's venturing distinctly into the leather genre - love or hate, I reckon.
10 years ago
Incense rose is definitely the first one that comes to mind. It is quite exquisite. Another one you may want to try is Amouage Lyric. It is a sweet rose with a definite incense note.
10 years ago
I've not tried "Sideris" but the brand sounds worthy of further investigation.
I find "Portrait of a Lady" and "No. 06 - Incense Rose" to be very different. I think of PoaL as rising to the top of a rather crowded rose/patchouli dominant category - a category that includes perfumes such as "Vengeance Extreme" (which I own as it's much cheaper than PoaL, though not as complex), Heeley's "Hippie Rose", Fresh "Cannabis Rose" and ELdO "Rossy de Palma / Eau de Protection". There are many others of greater or lesser quality. Even "Aromatics Elixir" has overlaps in the rose/patchouli genre and then once you add woody or oud notes, another sub-genre is created (Montale "Aoud Roses Petals" being a rose/patchouli/oud combo).
"No. 06 - Incense Rose" is another I own and I understand Leathermount's reference to the loud Tauer base accord - it doesn't always work for me in his perfumes. I find Incense Rose to be very resinous and cardamom dominant and less of a dry "churchy" incense or patchouli fragrance.
The Tauer that I truly consider to be a rose/incense composition is "No. 01 - Le Maroc pour Elle". Before I'd tried either, I expected Incense Rose to smell like this. It smells exactly like a 'hippy' store crammed with incense, potpourri, Indian textiles, fragrant oils and carved trinkets of exotic wood. There's quite a lot of lavender and cedar (ISO E super - a Tauer favourite) along with the rose, resins, patchouli and incense. It's as if many of his subsequent creations were somehow compressed into a single perfume which manages to be pungent, sweet, dusty and resinous all at the same time. I like the smell of hippy stores but also find them claustrophobic and headache-inducing; thus, after many attempts I find Le Maroc pour Elle, with its nuclear sillage and longevity, to be personally unwearable. I would recommend it for sampling to rose/incense/patchouli lovers though.
10 years ago
I own a sample of Le maroc pour elle. I remember it as a big floral, rose and white flowers with a heavy indolic note that put me off. I don't remember it as incensey, but it's a long time ago. Maybe I should revisit it...
10 years ago
DieNase:
I own a sample of Le maroc pour elle. I remember it as a big floral, rose and white flowers with a heavy indolic note that put me off. I don't remember it as incensey, but it's a long time ago. Maybe I should revisit it...

There is definitely jasmine with the rose and lavender but to me the rest was all cedarwood, patchouli and resins that gave a heavy incense feel.
10 years ago
I blindbought a decant of "Lyric". Looking forward to testing it!
10 years ago
Lyric Man or L. Woman? I've only tried the female version but feel like the masculine one might be more my style.
10 years ago
Lyric woman
Banging on 10 years ago
Eau de Protection aka Rossy de Palma. I keep banging on about this one
10 years ago
For this category I highly recommend Pink Quartz from Olivier Durbano
10 years ago
DieNase:
I blindbought a decant of "Lyric". Looking forward to testing it!

I've tested it a couple of times now and given a full wearing. I think it is a nice scent, but it didn't wow me so far. I don't get that much incense either.

I've just ordered a decant of Sideris, looking forward to testing it thoroughly.
9 years ago
Sorry to intrude in the discussion, ladies, but I would like to know if any of you know Holy Water from La Via del Profumo?

Notes seem very interesting to me!!

Very Happy
9 years ago
Jo Malone's "Rosewater and Vanilla" (but it's also very sweet to me right now)
Lubin's "L'eau Inedite"- I get rose amid nuts and woods
9 years ago
6 years ago
I'd love to see more suggestions as "No. 06 - Incense Rosé" is a favorite of mine and I'm a fan of incense in perfumery, generally speaking.
5 years ago
I find Lyric Woman to be phenomenal! The Rossy de Palma one is also a good one.
4 years ago
How about Eau D'Iparie L'Occitane? It's got this resinous bright -sweet rose I find quite natural and thick.
4 years ago
This is my order of preference:
Sideris, Unique and beautiful. Easily wearable, just the right about of projection and durability. Well rounded.
Lyric. A very interesting imposing rose. It is very strong and intense. A true Arabian masterpiece.
Malle Portrait of a Lady. This is well done but I did not like it on me. I actually enjoy it on men. *much weaker now
I hated Incense Rose. It lacks refinement in my opinion. I found it very oppressive.
Last edited by Iseabail on 30.05.2020, 21:09; edited 1 time in total
4 years ago
Iseabail:
I hated Incense Rose. It lacks refinement in my opinion. I found it very oppressive.

I know Tauers can be very polarizing. There's something very nostalgic about Tauers for me. That heavy handed approach appeals to me but it can overwhelm, too. I have to be cognizant of my surroundings if I wear my Tauers outside of the house.
4 years ago
Exciter76:
Iseabail:

I know Tauers can be very polarizing. There's something very nostalgic about Tauers for me. That heavy handed approach appeals to me but it can overwhelm, too. I have to be cognizant of my surroundings if I wear my Tauers outside of the house.

Thank you for your comment. I do like some heavy handed scents, just not those ones. Smile They definitely no not work for me in general. I like 'L'air du désert' but it is not a love. I also enjoy 'Carillon pour un ange' but it is a once in a while scent so a small decant would certainly be enough for me.
Just like Lutens, it is a house that generally works for you or doesn't.
4 years ago
Many of my favourites have been mentioned, but I just wanted to add my two cents Smile

1. Eau d'Italie Paestum Rose - blackcurrant rose over cedar-incense . Uplifting yet quite subtle. It seems both bright and dark at the same time.
2. Caron Parfum Sacre - a carved sandalwood chest full of dried rose petals, soap, and earthy-syrupy myrrh.
3. Malle Portrait of a Lady - a whole lotta lotta, but glorious when that fruity raspberry rose meets the crushingly dry, smoky incense. I find this tiresome in its long, drawn-out Ambrox drydown, but the first few hours are worth the ride.
4. Angela Ciampagna - gourmand rose incense with an interesting iris and carrot seed mix in the background that adds both icing sugar-like powderiness and the metallic earthiness of chestnuts.
5. Maria Candida Gentile Sideris - I never think of this of a rose-centric fragrance, but more of a rosy sandalwood-labdanum mix with a powdered sugar airiness (which links it to Rosarium above, although Sideris is altogether less edible than Rosarium).
6. Amouage Lyric Woman - technically a floriental that presses down hard on the rosy sandalwood-cardamon-ylang axis than incense, but of course, there is that magnificently austere Omani frankincense lending its moonlight in the backbone.

Incense Rose by Tauer doesn't really work for me anymore, ever since I gassed out an entire car full of colleagues on a one-hour journey about six years ago. I was inexperienced with the Power of the Tauer and applied two or three generous spritzes before clambering into the car. Nobody said anything but when the car filled up with this huge, billowing cloud of coca cola, cardamom, and harsh, rosy frankincense, I was absolutely mortified. I like it, I respect it, but I cannot seem to find a way to wear it politely.
3 years ago
Portrait is more abour patcholi and rose IMO
Notify about new comments
1 - 25 by 26
Jump to