Search Forum

Vintage Thrills

1 - 25 by 198
Vintage Thrills 11 years ago
I would love to know more about vintages and what makes them special. Is it the ingredients, the era it was from, a special time in your life? Personally, I love the thrill of the hunt.

What are the most valuable, sought after, or loved vintages in your collection and what vintages would you like to add to your collection?
Re: Vintages 11 years ago
Digindirt:
I would love to know more about vintages and what makes them special. Is it the ingredients, the era it was from, a special time in your life? Personally, I love the thrill of the hunt.

What are the most valuable, sought after, or loved vintages in your collection and what vintages would you like to add to your collection?

For some years, I stockpiled HTF classic masculines. What sets them apart is not only the "ingredients", but how they're tuned. Some are excellent, some are dated but very respectable and some are flat-out unwearable. They all have a unique quality about them however.....

The ones I consider "the best" are Patou Pour Homme, Superfragrance for Men by Aigner, Vintage Antaeus, Ungaro I, Vintage Santal Noble.
11 years ago
Great thread!

All of my vintage perfumes came from my mother. The only one I don't absolutely love is Joy, and I'm hoping that I'll grow into it someday. I can think of a few beautiful perfumes she wore that I'd love to get my hands on:

Charles of the Ritz
Tiffany (vintage)
Original Calvin Klein for Women
Princess Marcella Borghese
Original Zen

Someday, when life is less hectic, I want to start scouring flea markets, garage sales and antique shops for old perfume.
11 years ago
I swapped out my vintage Joy because it just was not my cup of tea. I saw another bottle being offered almost immediately after and pounced on it. Swappers remorse is a killer for me. Recently I re-tested the Joy and BAM! I love it. I have no idea what happened but its a keeper for me now.

I just like the idea of having rare and hard to find items in my collection. My Abishag and Bakir are the rarest I own I believe.
11 years ago
Digindirt, as a fellow vintage-lover you are a woman after my own heart. Why do I love vintages? Well, in a broad sense my love for, and collection of, vintage perfumes is a product of my natural curiosity and an extension of my passion for history. My love affair with perfume also has a history. While I don't have any special associations between vintage perfumes and people in my life who wore them, I do have a personal history of perfume-wearing that now extends across 3 decades , which means that all of those early loves still retained in my wardrobe now classify as vintage perfumes. Other than that, for the most part I just really like the way they smell Very Happy
11 years ago
@Seatonica, can you think of a specific fragrance that has been reformulated and you wish you could locate the vintage? I'm hoping to get exposure to other vintages that I don't know.
I come across quite a few but am apprehensive about purchasing because I don't know the rarity, the quality, or the value.
11 years ago
Hmm, I'll have to think about that one DinD.

Outside the big-hitting Gueralins, Chanels and Diors in the general market I think 'value' is very much in the eye of the beholder, and often based on perceived rarity. I was just looking for Nitchevo by Juvena on ebay and saw someone wanted over $300 US for a large bottle Shocked I can only assume the seller thinks that because it is now obscure people might be willing to pay silly money. I had it as a teenager and while not exactly 'drug store' it certainly wasn't high end either! What price nostalgia eh?
11 years ago
That is the ONLY reason I own the Bakir. It was a blind buy based on rarity. I kind of like the idea of having "old" stuff in my collection. I have always loved antiques of any kind, furniture, chandeliers, jewelry, perfume...
11 years ago
Yes I'm a sucker for old stuff too. Something I love about vintage perfumes is their capacity to both evoke and transcend their eras and it's a shame so many gems have slipped below the cultural radar. I've just made the plunge on Bakir albeit the LLP rendition - having read all those divided reviews I simply had to smell it for myself lol Have you ever come across Richard Hudnut's Gemey? It was pretty big in it's day and IMHO is worthwhile seeking out.
11 years ago
I don't know the Gemey but I'm sure that since you mentioned it I will be searching for it high and low. What fragrance group does it fit into. I'll try to find some photos online so I can recognize it if I see it the next time I hit the Antique Shops.
The vintage bottles are eye candy for me as well. I just love the elegance and craftsmanship that was put into detail after detail.
There are quite a few "Antique Rows" near me, I think I will do some hunting on my next day off.
11 years ago
According to Perfume Intelligence Gemey was launched in 1923. It disappeared some time in the 1960s. The little faceted bottle I have dates from the late 50s-early 60s I think (if I could work out how to insert an image here I would, might have to see you in the other place on that score) I'm yet to turn up any info re notes or genre, let me know if you do.
11 years ago
11 years ago
That is an excellent article I can use to get me started. I actually recognize some of the names, now I just need some luck.
Thank you Cryptic for all you do.
11 years ago
DinD have you seen Bois de Jasmin's piece comparing vintage and reformulated Carons?

boisdejasmin.com/2011/03/caron-fragrances-vint age-and-modern-perfume-comparisons.html
11 years ago
Seatonica:
DinD have you seen Bois de Jasmin's piece comparing vintage and reformulated Carons?

boisdejasmin.com/2011/03/caron-fragrances-vint age-and-modern-perfume-comparisons.html

Thank you for this article Sea, this shows that rue formulation is not always for the worst. I'll have to re-try my Yatagan sample to see if I can pick up the notes mentioned.
Vintage Greens 11 years ago
11 years ago
I like the fact that I can see what other members here own some of the vintages that I own. I have a few that no other members listed have. Makes me feel special. LaughingLaughing
11 years ago
Digindirt:
I like the fact that I can see what other members here own some of the vintages that I own. I have a few that no other members listed have. Makes me feel special. LaughingLaughing

Safari by Ralph Lauren.
11 years ago
Safari - of course! Thanks for reminding me DinD.
11 years ago
These technically aren't vintage, but I keep coming across mentions of the discontinued Gobin-Daudé perfumes on the blogs and they sound so wonderful.
11 years ago
Cryptic:
These technically aren't vintage, but I keep coming across mentions of the discontinued Gobin-Daudé perfumes on the blogs and they sound so wonderful.

Discontinues are as popular as vintage, if not more. I'll have to have a look see.
Bakir 11 years ago
Back to Bakir - the LLP rendition anyway. The galbanum in this is fabulous! Sorry to keep going on about it Smile

Think I'll try Sortilege next - the le Galion, that is.
Re: Bakir 11 years ago
Seatonica:
Back to Bakir - the LLP rendition anyway. The galbanum in this is fabulous! Sorry to keep going on about it Smile

Think I'll try Sortilege next - the le Galion, that is.

Do try to get Sortileage Seatonica. One of my true loves.
11 years ago
Is the LLP rendition a good one Cincy?

Welcome to the convesation btw - when I saw you were a vinatge lover I was hoping you'd join in Smile
11 years ago
Seatonica:
Is the LLP rendition a good one Cincy?

Welcome to the convesation btw - when I saw you were a vinatge lover I was hoping you'd join in Smile

I have the original Le Galion Sortilege parfum, I don't know about LLP version. When I wear it I feel like I am on a powder cloud in heaven.
1 - 25 by 198
Notify about new comments
Jump to