Search Forum

Link Library - articles, papers, documentaries

Link Library - articles, papers, documentaries 12 years ago

Hi folks:

Sometimes I run into a wonderful article about perfume and am looking for a way to bookmark it. So thought I'd start a list here. It'd be great if others would add to it!

Victoria of Bois de Jasmin writes some really good articles about understanding the chemistry of perfume (I think she's a chemist). Like this, for instance:

Her site is well worth visiting. I think most parfumistas/os would be interested in the links to her most-read articles on her home page.

12 years ago
Here's an interesting article at the Huffington Post. Did you know how many people are born with no sense of smell?
12 years ago
Here's an interesting article in the Guardian about smell and attraction, with some very interesting comments as well.
12 years ago
PBullFriend, thanks for starting this thread. This is a short video (3 minutes) from Scientific American about how bees create a perfume that they use to, well, do the birds and the bees thing.
11 years ago
MNQ:
Inspiring article (just look at the picture and how the perfumes are organised!) and perhaps worth a visit for anyone in NYC Smile

http://www.vogue.com/vogue-daily/article/cult- beauty-alert-zurichs-osswald-boutique-arrives- in-soho/#1

More pictures at www.tumblr.com/tagged/osswald

How beautiful! I know it's a little daffy, but I love seeing perfume bottles arranged by color.
Re: 1920-1929 Decade of the French Mystique in the American 11 years ago
MNQ:
Found an old but interesting article: 1920 - 1929: The Decade of The French Mystique in the American Perfume Market

Fascinating - thanks for posting this!

Great thread PBF.
11 years ago
For those who may not already have read this, here is Chandler Burr in the NYT on the cynicism behind flankers.
11 years ago
Seatonica:
For those who may not already have read this, here is Chandler Burr in the NYT on the cynicism behind flankers.

My respect for Jacques Cavallier just went way up. I love his polite response, which is so unlike the way other noses and artistic directors have reacted to negative criticism of their work.
6 years ago
Our preference for perfume correlates with our genotype
www.parfumo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=889
6 years ago
Scent from Heaven
youtu.be/jv69pYSm2oo

Excellent documentary on oud.
6 years ago
Our Pungent History: Sweat, Perfume, and the Scent of Death
www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/our-pungent- history/

Wonderful read on perfume history. Smile
6 years ago
Cool article someone posted in the Eau my Soul FB Group about unique flacon designs:
http://amp.timeinc.net/wallpaper/lifestyle/the -best-innovative-fragrance-bottle-designs?sour ce=dam

I do love a beautiful bottle!
6 years ago
I too appreciate beautiful flacons. Thanks for sharing, Lillibet!
---
Double Base Notes, an archive of Luca Turin's fragrance reviews at NZZ, July, 2003 - July, 2010.
4 years ago
How Perfume Is Made: A Perfumer's Secrets: youtu.be/HOIjVZO8azQ

Sarah McCartney from 4160 Tuesdays and Wafts from The Loft discuss
- materials 1:55
- notes 3:10
- accords 6:50
- amber 7:55
- ambroxan 15:05
- leather 19:15
- synthetic vs natural 24:30
- oakmoss 35:00
- IFRA 39:20