Search Forum

Favorite notes

1 - 25 by 42
Favorite notes 12 years ago
What are your favorite notes?

Do you have dislikes also?
I like salt a lot, and lily of the valley.

I do not like strong amber notes and fig.

And you?
12 years ago
I like :

Flower notes : rose, iris, violet, jasmine

Spice notes : cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, pepper

Resin notes : labdanum, styrax, benzoin, smokey incense

Wood notes : oud, sandalwood, cedar

Gourmand notes : vanilla, caramel, almond, tonka bean, chocolate/cocoa, honey

Fresh notes : lemon, bergamotte, orange

Others : smokey tobacco, soft leather, patchouli, saffron
(in small dosages), musk, castoreum, civet, boozy notes such
as wine, whiskey, rum or cognac, oakmoss

These are just notes which I especially enjoy.

I have a hard time with lily-of-the-valley, lilacs, tuberose and aquatic-fresh scents.

UPDATE OCT.30 : How could I forget oakmoss ?
Last edited by PontNeuf on 30.10.2012, 14:30; edited 3 times in total
12 years ago
LOVE:
amber, tonka, benzoin, oud, rose, resins, vanilla, musk, booze, tobacco , hay, opoponax, incense, saffron, cinnamon
can´t stand too much:
violets, metallic notes, calone, coconut, overripe fruitnotes. clove & cumin, liqorice, fig
love/hate. tuberose, leather, honey, civet, pepper. these can be hit or miss
12 years ago
Tobacco, oud, oakmoss, patchouli, vanilla are among my noted favourites. I tend not to dislike any notes, if it's done right, but I do find an overly pine cone-esque cedar note to be rather offensive.
12 years ago
Love: Vanilla, Musk, Patchouli, Ylang Ylang, Immortelle, Magnolia, Heliotrope, Tobacco, Cacao, Coconut, Hazelnut, Almond, Green Tea, Orange

Dislike (when too intense): Oakmoss, Lily-of-the-valley, Clove, Tuberose (actually tuberose is more of a love/hate thing)
favorite notes 12 years ago
Favorites: Violet, tuberose, jasmine, gardenia, linden, cedar, lemon, bitter orange, orange blossom, musk, honey

Dislikes: Tolu balsam, carnation, too much vanilla or amber, too much saccharine
12 years ago
I Love
Rose
Tuberose
Citrus
Pine
Sandalwood

I Like a lot
Lavender
Oakmoss
Myrrhe
Lilac
Jasmine
Cinnamon
Violet
Carnation
Lilly of the valley

I dislike
Vanilla
Patchouli
Leather
Berries [/i]
12 years ago
Love:
Jasmine
Orange Blossom/Neroli
Gardenia
Woods
Labdanum/amber
Salt
Nutmeg
Vetiver
tobacco
Pepper
Tea

Love/hate:
Tuberose
Tonka Bean

Like:
Rose
Vanilla
Citruses
Resins

Dislike:
most violet, but there are exceptions
strong incense
Vegetable notes (except cucumber)
Carnation
Leather
12 years ago
I love me some fruits and sugar and not the everyday typical flower.

e.g.
Gardenia
Tuberose
Tiaré
Lavender
(green) apple
(sour) cherry
(water) melon
berries
pear

those are my favorites in general

I absolutely hate (although small doses are sometimes tolerable*):
Patchouli*
Jasmine*
Lily of the valley
pineapple
peach*
coconut
ylang-ylang
rose*
12 years ago
Did you always want to know what your favorite fragrance notes were? I thought this would be an easy way to visually identify what seem to be my favorite notes in fragrances. I placed the notes of my current collection into a word cloud program like Wordle and this was the result.

Simply visit: http://www.wordle.net/
12 years ago
Looks impressive.
I can't really name my favourite and my avoided notes. Most of the ones I'm wary of can be perfectly pleasant even for my nose, it just depends on the way they are built into the whole structure.

For example I'm not too fond of patchouli if it's taking the lead, but it can a very useful teamplayer as well.
12 years ago
I LOVE that flaconneur.....How did you do *that*...I want too:)
more dislikes than likes 12 years ago
like:

gardenia
musk
tonka bean
light vanilla

disklike:

patchouli
smoky notes
cumin and other strong spices
waterlily
woods
oakmoss
cibet
etc.

I actually could go on with my dislike list. It is easier for me to name what I don't like, because once I detected a note that I didn't like makes it very easy to detect the same note in future in other frags. Seems as if you get very sensitive about your not-like-notes. Wheras notes that I really like aren't many. E.g. I like rose scent, but it depends on the context of the rose note. Very often rose is mixed with citrics or hesperides, and then I can't stand it.
12 years ago
I don´t have favourite notes, I guess. It all depends on how the notes are integrated.
12 years ago
Triplex:
I LOVE that flaconneur.....How did you do *that*...I want too:)

Just follow the link above that will take to the site to create your word cloud. I just listed the notes of my collection, including duplicates.
12 years ago
Love: Rose, vanilla, amber, opoponax, pear, tuberose, gardenia, violet, iris, patchouli, musk, chocolate, pomegranate, cinnamon, coffee and pepper.

Dislike: Pineapple, grapefruit, lemon, apricot, cedar and harsh or rubbery leather accords (some leather scents are beautiful though).
12 years ago
Love: cardamom! and also cedar, sandalwood, guiac wood, fir/pine/cypress, oud, cinnamon, pepper, mint, lime, lemon, orange, bergamot, plum, pomegranate, carnation, violet, orchid, jasmine (a light touch only!), oakmoss, incense, myrrh

Dislike: cumin, tobacco, gardenia, ylang, peony, cherry, pineapple, many synthetic musks
12 years ago
Some years ago I thought I had favorite notes as well as notes I didn´t like at all. I still have notes that most of the times works very, very well with my skin chemistry and over all preferences as well as notes that seldom work well at me.

But the best thing I know when trying a new fragrance these days is when I find myself attracted to a note (or notes) that I haven´t liked before. I´m sure if done right I can find myself liking most ntes, with few exceptions (metallic notes leaning towards rusty/bloody note is for me like instant anxiety in a bottle and only makes me all sweaty and sick).

What usually works great on me: amber, vanilla, patchouli, suede, citrus, tuebrose, iris(orris), immortelle, eucalyptus, musk, labdanum, gaiac, safron, cinnamon, cardamom, heliotrope, honey, lavender, milky notes and a lot of others I don´t recall now.

Usually not so good: metallic notes, ozone, berries, galbanum, incense (some at least smells like coke on me), general "green" notes, birchtar (can become like smoked sausages on me)...
12 years ago
Vetiver
Oakmoss
Iris
Sandalwood
Rose
Geranium
All resins
Leather
Incense

Its easier to say I dislike white flower prominent perfumes and fruity notes.
12 years ago
my favorite notes in a perfume are: Musk, Amber, Rose, orange flower,lemonflower, Iris, coffee,sandalwood, Berries,Lychee,Coconut,vanilla, lemon/Citrus.Violet,Caramel,Chocolat,Ginger,Cinnamon, Heliotrope,Spicy notes.Sweet flowers.Rum, Pina colada, Tonkabean,Praline,Vetyver,Benzoin, green tea,labdanum, Bergamot, honey,beeswax,suede,aldehydes,Orris, lavender,chypre,
My dislikes are:
Tuberose, lily of the vally as in Diorissimo, Insence, Carnation,Aquatic notes,waterlily,Freesia,Lily,white flowers,Gardenia,Ylang Ylang,Frangipani,Seringa,strong oriental notes as in Opium,Jasmin. most soliflor scents
12 years ago
I LOVE: Orange blossom, mandarin, powder, rice, iris, cedar, vetiver, plum, amber and earthy notes

I DISLIKE: chocolate, licorice, rose, watermelon, pepper and marine scents
12 years ago
LOVE:
Oakmoss
Vetiver
Cedar
Iris/Orris
Bergamot
Musk
Ylang Ylang
Hibiscus
Neroli
Orchid
Freesia

LOVE and sometimes DISLIKE: Concentration of notes is key for L/D.
Tobacco
Sandalwood
Amber
Frangipani
Plum
Violet

DISLIKE:
OVERDOSES OF SWEETS in all perfumes.

12 years ago
LOVE: Orange,lavender,spices(generally),musc,
LIKE: rose,datura flower,lemon
DISLIKE: violet,iris,tobacco,patchouli,berries
12 years ago
It is certain that I really do like tuberose, ylang ylang and spices... many others depend...

and I don't like musk, sandal and woods and peonia... Brr...
12 years ago
Dislike: leather, civet, strong smoky notes, waterlily, lily of the valley, iris, metallic notes, soapy notes, too spicy

Love: Frangipani, Gardenia, fig(leaves or green stuff), blood orange, gajac wood, mahagony, teakwood, vanilla, marshmallow, strawberry, salt, amber, ylang ylang, bergamotte, davana, sandalwood, lemon tree blossom
Notify about new comments
1 - 25 by 42
Jump to